AN ELDRITCH AGE, A FORUM RPG

Pages: first 12 next last
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
What's this about?
Perhaps against my better judgment and trying not to compete with Dudesoft's Bun-Bo forum game, I'm deciding to finally try and stretch my Game Master muscles.

The game system? WANDERLUST, a rules-lite system based on the "Powered by the Apocalypse" rule set, only four pages long without counting character sheets and an outro picture. Roll 2d6 + a relevant stat on an honors system, and be expected for even a success to have consequences.

The world? A post-apocalypse based in a fantasy realm. Much less Mad Max or Fallout, and closer to Thundarr the Barbarian meets Final Fantasy X. Lush natural environments and civilizations broken by otherworldly causes, where despite everything people are still holding together.

In a sense, it's best described as an apocalyptic future, but with fantastical elements; more or less science-fantasy in tone. Magic and blasters, monsters and mono-blades, otherworldly labyrinths in otherwise-normal nature and burned-out urban sprawls overgrown by nature.

The game itself? Will consist of episodic adventures themed around one's journeys in the strange fantasy world, interwoven into a developing plot. While players are allowed to jump in and out of the different episodes, I'm also thinking of running player-character-based story arcs for those who might be interested. In due time, of course.

So what do I need to play? Simply grab the Wanderlust rules off my Google Drive link (the one in larger font and the game's name in capital letters), whip up a character, and PM me what you've got so we can discuss any questions, comments or concerns either party might have. The goal of this sort of game is to have GM and players collaborate on the world they're playing in, so I'm very much open to whatever ideas you might have in mind for your characters and the world.

For each character, I'd prefer both a character race or species as well as their career. Any fantastical race that could be hand-waved as being purely human or some kind of mutant works. Your character's career should be something that they were prior to being an adventurer.

I'm also allowing one extra ability score point per character that cannot be swapped out "between seasons", as long as you offer even a brief explanation why this point is static (backstory, career, species, et cetera). As for equipment, anything you can reasonably carry that would make sense for your character's career is acceptable to start with.

Characters
  • Aveena, Dark Elf, Minstel (Player: pianotm)
  • Foxglove, Fair Folk, Psychopomp (Player: coelocanth)
  • Draven, Human, Swordsman (Player: aneko)

Adventures
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I made this character sheet. It's not editable. Simply copy to your own sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BF4yRcSaPxr3FWMIDywvdGaWZrG1LWrSD1VK6f8ling/edit?usp=sharing
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I am extremely interested but at the moment way way busy. Is there a joining deadline?
AtiyaTheSeeker
@ Piano: Thanks again for the character sheet! Wasn't expecting it, and I appreciate the effort~

@ Sooz: No deadline at all! I'm planning on keeping things episodic, and allowing players to join in future adventures if need be. Depending on how late you might wind up, I'd be good to add you in during one of the quests.

@ Everyone: A brief chat with Piano, and I did add some more details to clarify things in the OP.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Hell yeah!
My character has been sent to Atiya lol im ready for this
AtiyaTheSeeker
I'm sorry to say this, but I'm going to have to let you all down. I really, truly have no idea what to do with this game thread; can one of the mods please lock this thread, at the very least?
pianotm
Hold up. Let's talk before we lock any threads.
AtiyaTheSeeker
@ Everyone: Talked with Piano. I'll be out with it -- I have terrible self-confidence, especially when it comes to ideas. However, I'll be able to start things up sometime tomorrow.
you'll do great, don't doubt or second guess yourself love. you can do it!
AtiyaTheSeeker
Prologue: "The Grimalkin's Song"

Of all the standing settlements since the fall of the previous age, the town of Wilder was perhaps the most self-sufficient. Refurbished from prior buildings along the long Pine River, the town had access to trade routes both on the water and from the remnants of the Ancients' great roads. It had its own radio tower, and members of the Stellar Disciples were at work trying to get widespread connection to the Spacenet satellites beyond the clouds, for those possessing technology that could access it.

Every now again trouble would rear its ugly head, but not too often. After all, the town was on the border of Northern Lights territory. That paramilitary faction liked to expand the number of settlements under its wing, but Wilder has kept itself out of becoming a 'protectorate' of the NL thus far. Much of the reason for this was because it had its own protective force: the Hunters' Den, a loosely-organized group of those who hunted both monsters and bounties on a regular basis.

Wilder sat in a temperate region, and currently the chill of winter's grasp was subsiding into the warmth of springtime once more. The town square was beginning to bustle with activity with the snow all but melted away, and this noon was no exception. Traveling traders off set up booths here to peddle their various wares, both salvaged from ruins as well as newly built or harvested. Some even knew magic, or stumbled upon the secrets of magical artifacts, and were will to unravel some mysteries for potential buyers at high starting prices.

For whatever reason, the three of you manage to find yourselves in the town square this midday, though your intentions for doing so are up to you. On a bulletin board are pinned offers for freelance work here and there, including offers from the Hunters' Den for those with the courage and skill. Among the various offers, there is a flyer pinned up -- a concert for early evening tomorrow, to kick off the return of spring.
pianotm

GASP! A concert! Oh, if I had gotten here sooner, I might have been able to join the performers! Pity! I think I shall see what job offers are available on the bulletin board.

The snows are are turning to slush, grey brown dirt reveals the robin's tracks across the drifts. I sniff the air... the musty grain store, wood smoke, less rat than last year - old tom has been earning his keep - and something else. This smell is unfamiliar, maybe important.
The shadow of the radio tower tells the hour well enough. I have a little time yet, and browse the stalls casually.

I signed as Diablo ran around my ankles, he wanted food. He had seen in one of the stalls some meat that he thought looked pretty good. "What money am I supposed to get that for you with huh? Wait until we go out and hunt you something to eat. You're not spoiled buddy." The dark ferret made what only I could tell was an angry sound. I rolled my eyes and headed to the bulliten board to see if I could find any jobs that caught my eye.

Diablo on the other hand had decided to bug the dark elf that was around the same area. "Tsk, leave the last alone she's not gonna feed you either."I said scooping him up into my arms, an action that made Diablo hiss in protest. "Ah, sorry about him.. hes pretty unbearable sometimes"
(***lady, not last darn phone x.x)
pianotm
I look down at the creature tugging at my leg.

"Oh! Who are you? Did your charge forget about you? I know what you want!"

I use a silver piece to purchase some meat from the meat vendor. I offer a chunk of it to Diablo.

When the young gentleman addresses me, I say, "How can someone so beautiful be unbearable?"
Diablo bounced around the dark elfs feet making happy noises. When the food was brought to him, he took it from her hand barely missing her fingers as he devoured it. "And, she bought him food. You're way to cute for your own good." I said looking at the girl. "I didn't forget about him he's lightning fast, his name is Diablo." I said rubbing his nose.

I smiled at her question. "He acts like a brat when he's hungry." I say as Diablo climbs up to my shoulder and wraps himself around my neck. "I'm Draven, this beautiful creatures charge, what's your name?" I ask holding out my hand for her to shake.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Foxglove:
The stalls have their usual vendors, but the addition of fresh-caught fish from the river and fresh produce is a welcoming sight compared to the canned and jarred goods that made up much of the stock in the winter. As you walk along, you do catch an earful from a middle-aged man speaking with a buddy of his, the other wearing hunting attire and with a worn rifle across his back in a sling.

"I still don't trust that halfer walking the streets, Jim", scoffs the old-timer. "Weres are all the same. I'm waitin' for the full moon night she goes crazy and eats someone. Then maybe the Den will believe me about that bitch".

Jim shrugs, chewing some tobacco from a rusted tin. "Beats me, man. I feel you're a step off of calling them Chimeras the same. So far whats-her-face hasn't done anything wrong. She's even helped the Den out here and there, and she's done some charity work for those who don't got the silver".

It's common knowledge that a Chimera is one of the mutant-animal folk about, usually born of predator species. Their origins vary, but you'd need a Wisdom roll to recall such lore if you're that interested.

Aveena and Draven:
As you begin to exchange names, a feminine voice chirps toward you two, "Mreowww? What a cute critter you've got, sir". As you turn your heads, you're greeted with an uncommon being in Wilder. While most people either resemble humans or human-shaped animals, this one seems somewhere in between...

"But, where are my manners? I'm Nicole, nice to meetcha both. I can't help but notice that you've got an instrument, miss. So uh... I had an offer I wanted to make?"

Draven, specifically:
A brief glance at the bulletin board tells you nothing too different. The most recent-looking jobs involve additional security for the concert tomorrow night, as well as some odd jobs such as helping to repair and refurbish some discovered tech.

To Everyone:
If you'd like to make any dice rolls you deem appropriate that I didn't call for specifically, feel free to do so -- just write your dice result (honors system), which stat you're using, and for what reason in parentheses at the end of your post(s).
pianotm
"I am delighted, Draven, Custodian of Diablo, and to Diablo as well. The pleasure is mine!" I gently take his hand and curtsy. "Many know my face, but far too few know my name, and fewer still mind the donation box. Tis the entertainer's curse, I fear. I am Aveena."

I turn to the newcomer, "Greetings, miss or sir. Whichever you prefer. How might I be of service?"
(Recollection of lore: Wisdom: 8+2=10)
Chimera? I think they're a different beast to the were-folk. But this sounds interesting...
I lean more heavily on my stick, drawing the cloak close about me. A small change but I look a little older now. Passing close by the two men, I mutter: "A halfer, here in Wilder?"
(Fishing for information: Wisdom: 7+2=9, a hit with consequences)
The old timer's eyes flicker towards the bulletin board and I catch sight of the youth with the clawed hands. Jim, however gives me a look...
Pages: first 12 next last