AN ELDRITCH AGE, A FORUM RPG

Pages: first prev 12 last
I smiled and bowed when Aveena curtsed. "Its a pleasure to meet you as well , your a performer correct?" I said and crossed my arms over my chest. Diablo made a happy noise and bobbed his head. "Hes happy to meet you too" I say shaking my head.

I look over at the half animal half human form next to us. "Hey there Nicole I'm Draven. I'm guessing the offer is for her?" I ask though I had been thinking about taking one of the bodyguard offers.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Aveena scratches Diablo behind the ear.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Foxglove:
The middle-aged man blinks as his gaze falls upon you. He's willing to indulge your question, but does not consider your intrusion into the conversation pleasant. This is first evidenced by an irate growl and a refusal to respond.

In a moment's notice, you recollect a key difference between a Chimera and the Werebeasts. While Chimeras are born naturally as animal-human hybrids, Weres are instead transformed through curses wrought by other werebeasts' bites. Because of their predatory and violent natures that take time to gain control over, Werebeasts aren't commonly trusted once they're found out in societies.

In lieu of his pal's refusal to reply, Jim the hunter quickly points a finger in the direction of the young lady with feline limbs. "Miss, no offense, but you might be losin' your seein' if you can't spot her. Says her name's Nicole. She's one of those grima... grinal... G-things. One of those werecats".

"Jim", groans the middle-aged man. "I don't care what her name is. She's a Were, so she's trouble. We don't need monsters walking the streets, especially once she goes feral". He gazes again toward you, almost demanding as he retorts. "Heh. Am I wrong?"

Aveena and Draven:
At first, Nicole blinks at Aveena's greeting. "Oh!" Smiling softly, she responds, "It's not often people ask about pronouns. You seem educated and caring enough, but as it were I'm cis-female, so 'miss' is just fine~"

Giving a rather feline purr, Nicole scratches the back of her bright blonde head. "But uh, yeah. The offer is for Aveena, but you look strong and skilled too, Draven. Why not kill two birds and make related offers, though?" A slight pause, and the grimalkin explains herself.

"As you might know, the concert to welcome in the spring season's tomorrow. I'm supposed to perform then as a singer, but I'm having trouble pulling together some instrument-players". Rolling her eyes, Nicole coughs, "And I've got the feeling some folk about town don't exactly trust my kind here". Extending a hand to Aveena she continues, "But I noticed your violin, and figured I may as well ask if you can follow sheet music?"

She then motions toward Draven, finishing her offer, "And for you, I'm sure you can make it into security for the occasion, too! Both jobs will pay well, since this is a pretty important venue. Folks from all along the Pine River come down this way to enjoy the festivities, though the town's also been pretty adamant about its rent-a-cops for the concert as of years ago, I recall".
pianotm
"Oh, I would be delighted! But you make an excellent point! It indeed would be prudent to observe each other's skills. Perhaps an audition is in order."
Diablo enjoyed the ear scratching as we all listened to what Nicole has to say, The bodyguard offer seemed to be a Godsend I was in need of some money and there wasn't really anything else I could take besides that so."Yeah sure, would it be rude to ask how much it pays?" I asked shifting on my feet to a more comfortable position but still close enough to Aveena that Diablo could enjoy more affection from her. "It's not that it will decide if I do it or not, it's just nice for me to know how much i'm gonna get." I shrugged.

I smiled at Aveena, "I'd like to hear you play too, though I don't want to make your nervous."
pianotm
"Rude? But aren't we all slaves to the coin?" I give a gentle stroke to Diablo's fur and a pat. I draw my violin and bow, and I begin to play.

https://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/40682/locker/Aveena_First_Performance.ogg
"Her actions say one thing, if all that charity work it anything to go by. Unless she's trying to atone for something, even then perhaps. Still, a feral were is a dangerous thing to have around. In an ideal world, we'd have more of this 'Nicole', and less of the beast."
I gesture in the direction of one of the ancient ruins that pokes out of the forest.
"We don't live in an ideal world, so I'd be inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt, but also to lock the shutters and bar the door come the full moon."

Perhaps self control can be taught.. but a were with the knack would surely conceal their nature.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Aveena and Draven:
Hearing the demo from Aveena, Nicole offers a light clap at its end. "Good work!" she commends. "You certainly know your way around different sounds of the strings, and can hold a darling melody well. But as you put it, an audition is indeed in order. It's my turn to show what I can do~"

Clearing her throat, her hand wavers an inch or so over her chest as she begins her own tune. She does an acapella of a few notes before chiming in with an alto voice,

"♪ Bury your fright, sunder the night,
fight through the pain and the sorrow;
keep moving on to tomorrow
lest the regrets do befall you;
steady your sights, confer your might,
battle the terrible torment;
Stand strong and do not dare forget
Just what it is you desire... ♪"

Letting her voice trail off, Nicole clears her throat once more. "A song of mine, you see. Hard for me not to carry onto int the chorus once I get worked up, but I hope it was sufficient!"

She then glances to Draven, adding, "As for the pay, I can't quite divulge it myself. For the musicians, it will vary; I'm supposed to be one of the opening acts to bigger performances later on. But if you're looking for a rate, the Hunters' Den is paying for it with their funding. They're usually pretty lenient on offering different types of pay, including adventuring gear and tech in addition to silver".

Looking about as if trying to find someone, Nicole then points toward the edge of town. "The Den's main branch here is by the riverside. A distinct crest of a crossed shotgun and mono-sword in pine green, can't miss it. If you head there, look for a fox-girl named Dana, and tell her that Nicole sent you. One could also do the same with an Erik, but I can't promise as promising of results in your favor". She shrugs. "Or if he'll even give you the time of day, for that matter".

Foxglove:
Another grumble leaves the old-timer's lips. "All I know is, she'll go down in a hail of bullets and plasma if she pulls anything stupid during the concert tomorrow. If her friends at the Den stick up for her though, I'll personally put a bullet in them myself, Silas' wrath be damned".

Jim rolls his eyes. "Never mind Frank here", he himself groans. "Old vet from elsewhere in the Great River region. Saw his fair share of monsters, and has never been one to trust ones that act like people".

"Because it's exactly that", Frank retorts, "An act to lull people into... ah, screw it. You've heard enough, miss". Giving a sigh, his tone of voice mellows as he starts over. "I'm not sure if I've seen you about. Need help in finding something? Any directions?"

Side-Note:
(BTW, Nicole's lyrics are based off some I've come up with for an upcoming indie game's stage music. The song in question can be found HERE, for any interested. :p)
pianotm
I look around the square, my eyes lingering on a small group of three shooting dirty looks at Nicole. "Yes, perhaps we should continue our discussion and hold our audition in a place...less hostile." I carefully return my violin and bow to the case. "Nicole, with only a day until the concert, are you sure there's enough time to prepare?"
"Lets hope you can save those bullets for deer or whatever you've been hunting. It's not my first time in Wilder, but where is this concert being held?"

I take my leave of the two men and head off in search of a concert ticket.
AtiyaTheSeeker
(Anyone hear from Aneko yet? I don't wanna skip them in the next post, but might do so to keep things going?)
I smile and clap a it too after both of the auditions, "You both play very well." I said smiling. Following Aveenas eyes I also saw the looks they were giving them. "Yeah she makes a good point Nicole we need to go somewhere else I don't like the way these people are looking at us and neither does Diablo." At that the ferret hissed at them his fur rising a bit. "Where do you suggest we go?" I ask rubbing the dark creatures fur trying to calm him.

(Ahh, sorry. I got busy yesterday I was on the way back to school from my thanksgiving break. and today was kind of hell. Also Atiyaa, i am a female if you want to use those pronouns they them works to tho)
I smile and clap as well after both of the auditions, "You both play very well." I said smiling. Following Aveenas eyes I also saw the looks they were giving them. "Yeah she makes a good point Nicole we need to go somewhere else I don't like the way these people are looking at us and neither does Diablo." At that the ferret hissed at them his fur rising a bit. "Where do you suggest we go?" I ask rubbing the dark creatures fur trying to calm him.

(Ahh, sorry. I got busy yesterday I was on the way back to school from my thanksgiving break. and today was kind of hell. Also Atiyaa, i am a female if you want to use those pronouns they them works to tho)
AtiyaTheSeeker
(Alrighty Aneko, no problem about the delay; wasn't sure about pronouns so defaulted to gender-neutral ones)

Aveena and Draven:
Nicole nods, replying to Aveena first. "I'm sure we'll be fine", she cheerfully replies. "Like I said, I've got sheet music we can go off, and they're not as concerned about the opening performances so much as the main gigs. Though I do agree, we may want to head elsewhere to practice. There's usually a quiet enough spot near the library, and they've got a local diner there too. You've not eaten well till you've tried one of Papa Burger's specialty... well, burgers!"

Leading onward to the east of town, Nicole heads to a less-busy part of town, closer to the great forests that surround the settlement.

Foxglove:
Jim speaks up, "Right along the water, by the docks they set up long ago. Admission's free, but they do have vendors for snacks, drinks and even a souvenir or two. Mind, you should bring some good coin if you're looking for stuff there; the proceeds go back to the town, so they do up the prices a bit. Then again, they have people all across the river region coming to see the shows".

As you take your leave, the hustle and bustle of the noon crowd continues on in the backdrop.

Everyone:
Unless anyone wanted to do anything else in particular, I was thinking of doing a jump-cut to the next day, probably the early afternoon prior to the concert? It's up to you all, though; I'm good either way.
pianotm
Jump cut is no problem.

"Well, you've been here longer than I. I'll trust your judgement!" I follow along.
Go ahead and jump, the one lead I had to follow up on was "who is Silas", and the concert seems to be where the plot is at...
By the way, are you happy for me to continue adding background details like the ancient ruins in the forest? I figure you can pick them up, ask me to describe them in more detail, or just leave them as background colour in a narrative that focuses elsewhere.
yup jumpcut is totally fine

"Yeah, im pretty hungry so i'd love some food"
AtiyaTheSeeker
Coel, sorry if I ended up rushing you forward. I'll address your lead in your part of the RP response, but I don't mean to advance unless everyone's ready. Hoping it's okay to do so. Either way, definitely feel free to add details to the setting as your heart desires; it's suggested to do so in the Wanderlust rules I believe, and I can use all the help for plot hooks as I can receive.

Also, sorry to everyone in general for the delay; had some writer's block and not a lot of motivation. :x

Foxglove:
It doesn't take long to learn that Silas is the leader of a local adventuring guild called the Hunters' Den. The Den serves as something between an aid to local law enforcement as well as handling more dangerous tasks that many are ill-suited to handle. As the name suggests, they are most skilled for culling monsters and carrying out bounty-hunts against raiders and criminals.

Silas MacNamera himself is a member of the bestial Chimera peoples, specifically a badger-man. He's a veteran of many campaigns and adventures in the wild frontier, but he's getting up there in years and isn't quite what he used to be. Despite this, he holds the floor for the Wilder branch of the Hunters' Den as one of its main leaders.

It's not long either that you begin to hear some of the local troubles of the town while moseying about. There are ruins to be had in the forest, especially more notorious ones known as Old Fort Lock. In recent years, it's unofficially been called "Lycan Keep", after the lycanthropes that tend to congregate there. At least that's what the local scuttlebutt claims, anyway...

The Next Day, At High Noon...
All three of you are able to find affordable shelter and food for the night, either at the local inn (The Old Oak), or from a friendly family allowing you to spend the night in a living room or something. Perhaps Nicole allowed Aveena, Draven and Diablo to lodge that evening? Such details are best left to the players in this case, methinks...

What is known is that Nicole seemed to be a natural at teaching the instrumentals of her music, and she also pointed Draven in the direction of the Hunters' Den to take up the position of a guard for the night's events, if he were to indeed go through with the decision.

Either way, the town's docks are in a bigger hustle and bustle than the town square today. Stages and booths had begun to get set up at the crack of dawn, with patrons from other settlements being funneled into Wilder proper to not interfere with the preparations. Well, unless they were outsourced to help out, anyway!

For Aveena, she is likely getting ready in the secluded spot behind the Wilder public library with Nicole. One last rehearsal to get ready. If preferred, I'd like an Eeriness roll to understand your grasp of performing the opener's songs; a high roll could be a buffer to any mishaps during the live performance. That said, a low roll doesn't necessarily mean things can't be salvaged during the real deal!

For Foxglove, it's free game as to what you're up to. However, I would like you to give me a roll as well! Something in the crowd of travelers to Wilder seems amiss, and you can't quite place your finger on it; call it a psychopomp's hunch? I'd like either a Wisdom roll to try and discern what's wrong, or an Eeriness roll if you're trying to gather information on a more personal level with the other folks.

For Draven, while I cannot call a roll just yet, there is likely to be one in his near future. I want to make sure first if you're indeed trying to work as a guard for the spring concert. One way or another, I'm gonna find a way to fit you into the scene regardless of your answer.
pianotm
Eeriness roll:

Dice: 2+4
Career: +2
Eeriness: +1

Total: 9
There's something in the air, and it's stronger than yesterday.
"Holly for the chains that bind, mistletoe for the hope of rebirth, snowdrop for winter's chill".
I open my brain to the world's psychic maelstrom perform a ritual to figure out what is wrong here. (eeriness roll: 9)
Pages: first prev 12 last