Do you prefer black outlines? - Results

Yes I do.
57%
No. Not really.
42%

Pages: 1
BillyX
The Helper Of The Cows
Sometimes having that black outline around sprites is essential to making them work with the specific tile set right? Sometimes it's a purely creative choice.

But given the choice - do you prefer black outlines or would rather not?
I prefer a darker shade of the sprite's colours to black.
Here I was thinking this was concerning plot details.

Anyway, black outlines FTW.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
It depends on what I'm doing. It's just not necessary for me.

EDIT: Also. Agree; I totally thought this was about fleshing out a story plot, in which case I would have voted yes instead of no.
BillyX
The Helper Of The Cows
Haha. Sorry folks. Is there any way to change my topic name? Maybe add "Sprites" to it?
Had graphics on my mind so I never really gave any thought to the topic being confused with plot - which makes total sense. :)
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Pretty sure you can if you edit the topic.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
In all honesty, I tend to go black outlines with my icons (about the only spriting I do that isn't edit-based), and then select better colors once I have them down first.
I don't use flat black for spritework (generally a 20/20/20 or 25/25/25 grey) but I do for digital art

Depends on your style
It mostly depends on your games general aesthetics. You just need to be consistent. But in my opinion working with outlines is easier. Sprites with no outlines are harder to make.
I tend to work best with dark outlines when it comes to spriting. It just sorta helps me keep track of the shapes I'm making. I usually change the outline color from black to something closer to the main color later, though the contrast can be very helpful for visibility when used well.
I was working with very small and thin sprites, and black outlines made them look very clunky. So yeah, it depends on the style and what each variation looks like. It's hard to give a one size fits all answer. So I abstain.
Pages: 1