[POLL] WILL PEOPLE BE TO WORRIED/SCARED TO MAKE POKEMON RPGS NOW, DUE TO NINTENDO?

Poll

Will people be to worried/scared to make Pokemon RPGs Now, due to Nintendo? - Results

Yes
53%
No
46%

Pages: 1
Due to Nintendo going all crazy with the ban hammer, taking down emulation sites, suing people and MOST importantly for the context of this post... Pokemon essentials. Do you guys think it will manipulate peoples urges and desire to make Pokemon fan games? I speaking more specifically for RPG Maker programs, not original program or rom hacks.
Rather than worried or scared, it just makes me feel it's smarter to repackage them and avoid copyrighted names etc. Call it something else and so forth. Why put so much work into something that might be targeted when you can avoid the hassle?
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
No. People can say anything they want, but a intellectual property that doesn't have fan creations isn't a healthy IP. Fan creations is what keeps an IP alive. I would be beside myself if anyone made fan creations of my work, but alas, that's unlikely to ever happen.
The main reason I ask this is because I have been for quite some time now, have been working on a resource pack for VX/Ace for Pokemon. I don't honestly know if I should continue it.
Supposedly when you, a random person not affiliated with nintendo, makes a game using their intellectual property "pokemon", you are basically threatening their legal ownership of said intellectual property "pokemon", thereby it is in their best interest, in order to retain ownership of the intellectual property "pokemon" to shut down your fan game with legal action.

This is what I've been told, and i dont like it. Honestly, I love fan games.
I suspect that part of the reason for the shutting down of something like the Metroid 2 fan remake is the idea that if you're playing someone else's Metroid game for a Metroid experience, then you're not playing the Nintendo-licensed Metroid game.

So just make sure your fangames are uninspired and suck ass and you should be fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Dyhalto
I suspect that part of the reason for the shutting down of something like the Metroid 2 fan remake is the idea that if you're playing someone else's Metroid game for a Metroid experience, then you're not playing the Nintendo-licensed Metroid game.

So just make sure your fangames are uninspired and suck ass and you should be fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The inverse to that is, If someone is playing a fan game for the Metroid experience and not your game, that's a sign you've made a garbage product.
author=Kylaila
Rather than worried or scared, it just makes me feel it's smarter to repackage them and avoid copyrighted names etc. Call it something else and so forth. Why put so much work into something that might be targeted when you can avoid the hassle?

Despite an extensive history of takedowns and IP enforcement, some people still do Nintendo IP fangames as "tributes". Even though Nintendo's not going to stumble across a fangame and think "Wow, what a nice tribute." They're not going to find it heartwarming, and they're probably not going to give you a job for it.
I mean, I don't see what's so hard about doing pokemon without actually doing Pokemon. You know, not using the actual Pokemon designs that belong to someone else but taking the general ideas and running with it. Like, having a purple rat being called Atarat (that's a rat!) or a yellow electric mouse being called Zapachi or a rock snake being called Stonix or a small pink floating thing being called Wem and its clone being called Duowem. The designs and names aren't the same but you know and I know and they know the source material of the inspiration for them. ;p
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
What Liberty suggests is one way to take. But sometimes you just want to make more of your favourite thing. Write a fan fiction, come up with more of the same or enhance the original experience. I think Nintendo knows what they're doing, when shutting down fan projects, which became too big. They're defending their ip and interest in the original. They know people behind these projects are first in line for their new product, but not keeping them in check could create a serious problem. Especially in case of a recreation of their original property (Metroid 2).
But we also know that Nintendo's little too active on this front. They even wanted to ban let's plays of their games.
So, I wouldn't be afraid. Shutting you down is an experience too.
RPG Maker offers so many opportunities to turn the vision of your own game idea into reality, so I don't see the point why some people spent so much time and effort to make a game that already exists and that is based on an idea, that someone else had.

Greetings,
Tw0Face
abolish copyright law and then we don't have to worry about the fan-works discourse anymore.
author=Tw0Face
RPG Maker offers so many opportunities to turn the vision of your own game idea into reality, so I don't see the point why some people spent so much time and effort to make a game that already exists and that is based on an idea, that someone else had.

Greetings,
Tw0Face
That's easy. People want to expand upon the formula and story they love so much. Perhaps there's a few things they think could have been better or adjusted or added.
author=Jparker1984
That's easy. People want to expand upon the formula and story they love so much. Perhaps there's a few things they think could have been better or adjusted or added.

If people like the story and the idea so much, why don't they make their own Pokémon inspired game by at least not using exactly the same graphics, names and sounds of the original games? After all, Pokémon would not have been so successful if the developers had copied every single feature from already existing games.

Greetings,
Tw0Face
author=Liberty
I mean, I don't see what's so hard about doing pokemon without actually doing Pokemon. You know, not using the actual Pokemon designs that belong to someone else but taking the general ideas and running with it. Like, having a purple rat being called Atarat (that's a rat!) or a yellow electric mouse being called Zapachi or a rock snake being called Stonix or a small pink floating thing being called Wem and its clone being called Duowem. The designs and names aren't the same but you know and I know and they know the source material of the inspiration for them. ;p

Basically, it is Sanic's time to shine.
Fflo
Be careful ! I'm French
Some French people were working since a few years on a starter-kit named PSDK. A few days ago, I saw they removed the direct download link to the starter-kit. Now, the only way to get it is to join a Discord server, and then asking the administrator a download link.
They're afraid of getting sued, and I understand them.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Nintendo can only sue you if they know who you are and you live in a country that has copy right laws or agreements with the USA.

That actually allows a lot of people to continue doing that.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
They shut down fan games because some are better than the bullshit they can churn out. AM2R is leagues better than that stupid Samus Returns or whatever. I seriously hate the official remake.
Pages: 1