BEST EVENT AND OTHER 2018 SHOUT-OUTS

Pages: 1
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Ok,
It's end of year and we're all busy nominating games for Misaos. There are things we can't include there. Games, which got a commercial release, personal news, community events or talented fellow devs. Let's share them here and celebrate the year this way!

Cap's Awesome Awards

Event of The Year
I would say Swap In The Middle With Two takes the crown here. The participation was good, people were really enthusiastic about their parts and not messing up someone else's work. I think the concept of randomly switching your half works great and makes for a better community, as we get to know better each other's approaches to gammak, and interesting games!
Runner-up would be Twisted Fairy Tales. That was an extra-ordinary strong theme for an event.

Commercial RM Game of The Year
This one is simple and I bet Jimmy and The Pulsating Mass would sweep Misaos if it were allowed in. The game has so much to offer from interesting mechanics and story to one of the best soundtracks of the year. I haven't played it yet but glowing reactions from the community made my opinion rock solid.

Rising stars of RMN
I would say Mirak and Momeka had a solid year full of interesting releases. Mirak's swapsies are two of the more interesting entries and he was active on the site majority of 2018. I hope to see a larger project from him in 2019.
Momeka managed to capture us with his graphics years ago. This year he convinced us about his qualities with several released titles. I'm only hyped to see more from him.

Personal Achievement
I was a lot more active this year. Not on this site, but overall. I think I can communicate myself better than ever. I managed to travel abroad three times. I managed to move on with many things, find a job, take school seriously. I just feel a lot better about this year than about previous ones.
Also, keeping a gaming diary helped me to track my activity and it made writing some round-ups on my occasional blog a breeze.

And a big shout-out to all the mods and especially Liberty for keeping this place alive!
Sorry had to edit the name so it wouldn't break the site. >.<;
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
No probs, I hoped to bring more attention towards misaos with this and maybe stir up some discussion, but it fell flat.
author=Cap_H
No probs, I hoped to bring more attention towards misaos with this and maybe stir up some discussion, but it fell flat.

No, this is really cool Cap_H! I want participate in this as well but I kind of bailed out this year due to personal problems.
But I will share what I have anyways:

Event of The Year
N/A

Commercial RM Game of The Year
Definitely Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. It's really cool see it be mentioned by other players who don't normally play or make rpgmaker games and see it pop up on a few recommendation lists. In fact, I think I saw it pop up on a friends list who I regularly play Street Fighter with, which was a neat surprise. But yeah, it's really cool to see rpgmaker games start to gain some recognition outside our smaller circle, and not just the usual areas like reddit or tumblr, which is what I really want to see.

Rising stars of RMN
I wanna mention Momeka and visitorsfromdreams cause these guys have been regulars on RMN for a couple of years. But I also want to mention them specifically because they're clearly talented in other areas, like Flash animation etc. and I feel like their work doesn't get recognized enough. Like, there was a trailer vistorsofdreams worked on for his game, shooty and the cat fish, which I thought was really well done this year, but it didn't get any sort of recognition for a couple of months. It was only when NeverSilent took over RMN's TV/youtube stuff I think. that it finally got into the spotlight -- Like, it's really cool to see these guys enter RMN's the fold and not leave the site out of frustration as I've seen others have over years.

I also wanna mention Darken, he's not exactly a rising star cause I've sort of known him since GamingW, I think? (I recognize the zell walking around the hallway gif!), but yeah, for awhile I thought he was just some guy who wanted to archive rpgmaker games. No, what's interesting about this dude is that he's actually really talented, he's just super quiet about the games he makes!

But yeah, like, I guess he's just posting his stuff through the proper channels, etc. But I'm gonna make it a point to follow his games more closely. Cuz, some of the stuff he does in his rpgmaker games is actually cool (if you thought that shaking screen glitch I showed ya guys awhile back was really cool, wait till you see what this guy can do) and like, unlike most of us, he's not just posting his games on RMN, he's been posting in severals other places too, for years, which is what I want to see more of.

Rpgmaker games don't exist in a vacuum, you have to really put yourself out there, which is what I learned from these guys ♥ and it's just really cool to see.

Personal Achievement
N/A
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
I can’t do any color coding tech savvy stuff bc im on mobile but

Best Event: Even though it didn’t have many entries, I’m still thankful to Twisted Fairy Tales for giving birth to Skinwalker Wolf. Also im biased bc i love horror obv

Edit: nevermind i forgot swapsies 2 that absolutely takes the crown lmao. While Libby couldn’t finish it due to technical issues im still super proud of myself for completing my half of Parallel Shores because I finally saw that I am capable of making games over an hour in length.

Commercial gam award: Jimmy for sure. I sadly have yet to play Seven Mysteries the Last Page (I think that came out this year right?) Heartbeat, The Endless Empty or Insurgence, but I’m sure they’re all great too.

Rising Stars: I’d say Muffle had a pretty great year of new releases. Momeka and Darken absolutely deserve the award too. I guess Yomi or Dragnfly didn’t release much but still a round of applause to them for becoming more active in the community.

Personal achievement: I finished Dolorific, I guess, and it turned out to be a project im pretty happy with.

Edit: again, Parallel Shores first half. And I guess I like the second dungeon I did for mirak’s game too.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Swap in the Middle 2 was the best event this year.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Both Swap 2 and Theme Roulette were pretty interesting in my view, but, Swap 2 felt more of a success to me. This is in no small part thanks to Mirak's work of what became A Half-n-Half Affair. Which you should totally nominate/vote for in this year's Misaos.

I dunno about "rising stars" (outside of, perhaps, some unsung heroes in the obscure game request thread) or commercial games (except the aforementioned Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass by virtue of being the only one I've heard of, or know anything about).

As for personal achievements, well, I did manage to earn two more helpful awards? Plus, I got a ton of work done on my love-letter (as it were) to the Suikoden series. Though, to be perfectly honest, I wonder if I'm in over my head with that project, since I haven't really worked on it, in, like, two or three months now.
April Fools KENTONA was my fav. event.

Jimmy is definitely hip, but I also really like GRIMPS.

Frogge is a rising star. He became an adult (sorta). Hur Hur.

I accomplished finishing King of Grayscale! Also made hella progress on Final Fantasy: Sky Warriors. Also accomplished running my first event, Theme Roulette.
...I do the RMN TV ;<
author=LordBlueRouge
Rising stars of RMN
I wanna mention Momeka and visitorsfromdreams cause these guys have been regulars on RMN for a couple of years. But I also want to mention them specifically because they're clearly talented in other areas, like Flash animation etc. and I feel like their work doesn't get recognized enough. Like, there was a trailer vistorsofdreams worked on for his game, shooty and the cat fish, which I thought was really well done this year, but it didn't get any sort of recognition for a couple of months. It was only when NeverSilent took over RMN's TV/youtube stuff I think. that it finally got into the spotlight -- Like, it's really cool to see these guys enter RMN's the fold and not leave the site out of frustration as I've seen others have over years.

Oh you silver tongue devil <3
Gonna post my made up highlights

Shout out to Liberty for contributing to RMN alot, I would title as Best Ongoing Person or some variant of community giver. Don't know how you LP all those IGMC entries, or how you put up with submission queues or that user who kept spamming his rpgmaker movie, but I appreciate you holding everything together.

My Event of the Year (to take part in) was probably Twisted Fairy Tales, I think I did the most with the time I was given and made a decent enough game people liked. Nemoral is the most downloaded of anything I produced this year (1363 downloads from all sites posted). Probably due to that it's a horror game and even though it wasn't even made in rpgmaker, the assets/style were still very rpgmakerfied. But yeah I liked basing the game around the theme though some of the inserts of it were pretty rushed.

Coolest Dungeon
I'm giving to Sidewinder's Dirge of Doningoth because the Seasonal one near the end felt something out of Kinetic Cipher or Lufia 2, it's nice to see that stuff still being made. So I'm going to mention it insistently in any year summary discussion. Hope I'm not hyping this up too much lol.

Game in development I'm looking most forward to: is a tie between Blind's Beloved Rapture or Kingdom of the Dump. There's so much riding on these games in that they've had a long history (one switching engines from RM completely) and are representative of the style of games I came to the site for so many years ago, but alas they are a dying breed so it's a blessing to see these games still existing. Honorary mention to Radio the Universe which is still kicking
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Kuddos for mentioning Kingdom of the Dump!

I think one more game we should mention here is life of splork the orc, which managed to fall through the cracks after the event's end, while it features many enjoyable cameos of RMN regulars.
I REALLY regret not jumping on Swap In the Middle With Two. :s It sounded like it went really well.

In fact, I'm kinda disappointed in how few things I participated in this year.

...2019 resolution, I need to participate in some events this coming year!
I wanted to quickly mention this while nominations are still open.
If you're having trouble picking out nominations for coolest puzzle/dungeon
Dirge of Doningoth is worth checking out:

Darken mentioned this game had a really cool dungeon with a gimmick that would be for an entire game.
So I tried it...

...and I absolutely agree! This kicks so much ass!

For those curious here's a save file that jumps you straight to the Seasonal Dungeon in Dirge of Doningoth.
(Just enter the cave and talk to the Elf girl)

My favorite part - I think - is when you have to get the Watering Can from the Farmer in Autumn, so you can use it on the Tree Seed in Spring. So that, when you return to autumn again, you'll have a fully grown tree that you can finally climb to your next destination -- This was really well done, congrats Sidewinder! This one dungeon could be an entire game in itself.

Everyone, please check this out.
Kids Design the Darndest Things 2 was my fave event.
Gonna mention some translations, though I haven't played all of them they do seem to look rather impressive. Though the main issue is that these games weren't actually made in 2018, they are the first available to english speakers this year. It's just cool to see what the indie RPG Japanese community comes up with in the past decade (that we've missed).

Translated by MemoriesofFear:
Tower of Feles
The Mystery Files of Detective Inaba No. 2

Translated by vgperson:
Witch's Heart
The Faceless Double
Walking on a Star Unknown

Also worth noting the Top 10 for the IGMC have been announced. Also People's Choice results are in. Creaptive Heart taking the first. Some of these games may or may not be in RMN but they are all obvious 2018 games worth checking out.

Some of the highlight games that are on RMN and are nominate-able:

Dia:Dol - Diamond Idol (Top 10)
Circuit (Top 10)
Kryopolis (Top 10)
Umbral (People's Choice #2)
Momo Bomber (People's Choice #24)
The Chronicles of Espiria (People's Choice #28)

Still a day left for nominations, so I doubt everyone will have time to play this all, but just in case you played some IGMC entries and forgot if they're on RMN or not. I kind of wish we could just nominate more than 1 for each category at this point.
Theme Roulette got my event game front-paged for a few golden moments which was pretty cool; through Swap In The Middle With Too I made my best bud on the site and also some fictional characters I'm borderline obsessed with revisiting.

Tough to call. Also I feel like there's a by-law somewhere that says the Alpacalypse must win by default?

Personal achievement? Uh, I started making RPG Maker games again? Not sure if that's an achievement or backsliding for me lol.
I liked Theme Roulette, but maybe that's because it's the only event I actually participated in. I think it was good in that you didn't even have to worry about making a game page, and other people participating in the event play it. My game probably got more plays than my regular games. It was also good to give you a starting point for what to make your game about.
Pages: 1