[RM2K3] VIDEO BACKGROUND AND MOVING BACKGROUNDS

Pages: 1
I've seen similar topics, but none that want exactly what i want.

Is there a way to import a video/gif as a background for a map?
Or a still image to move as a background?(Nikki example of what I mean: https://youtu.be/7PSu-WxJR0o?t=42 )

In the 2k3 version I know you can play short movies or move images, but is there a way to make them the background like that? where the character can walk on the video and such?

Sorry if im not making sense, any help will be appreciated!
Pretty sure Yume Nikki is just using a basic Parralax Background (one you set in map properties) and setting the scroll speed. If you're using commercial rm2k3 you can do whatever you want really, in Display Setting of the Show Picture command you can set it to "0: Above Parralax Background" which will display the picture under everything. It's kind of hard to summarize a step after that since it depends on what you're doing from there.
author=Darken
Pretty sure Yume Nikki is just using a basic Parralax Background (one you set in map properties) and setting the scroll speed. If you're using commercial rm2k3 you can do whatever you want really, in Display Setting of the Show Picture command you can set it to "0: Above Parralax Background" which will display the picture under everything. It's kind of hard to summarize a step after that since it depends on what you're doing from there.

O! That makes sense for the picture, i forgot scrolling existed, but then what about videos? :0 is it the same process?
There's not much you can do with play movie command, I think everything just freezes until you can continue. It will appear over everything else also. Here's a guide on how to get decent video anyway.

But with what you can do with pictures you can actually just convert a small video to a series of images and animate it in any programmable way you want. Here's a large overview of that here. Basically chop all the video frames into a spritesheet, then use the custom sprite sheet settings to animate it. Since you can set its layer you can also have it happen while the player is moving around probably.
aw thats a shame :/ thank you though! it was a big help!
Thanks Darken! ♥

author=puubutt
I've seen similar topics, but none that want exactly what i want.

Is there a way to import a video/gif as a background for a map?
Or a still image to move as a background?(Nikki example of what I mean: https://youtu.be/7PSu-WxJR0o?t=42 )

Hi puubutt!♥ yea, as Darken described, you can't move video in rpgmaker2000/2003 - It stops everything the moment it's played rpgmaker2000/2003, but what you can do (..and this is really cool) - you can actually turn your video segment into a series of images and play it in rm2000/rm2003

Now there's actually two ways to do this. The one described in the guide above where you use cherry's new picture-in-battle, and hedge's spritesheet creator to create an animated sprite sheet, that will play inside your game.

…Or the second method as seen in Yume Nikki and other RM2000/2003 - a bunch of old rpgmaker games have done this in the past and it's a really really cool feature I wish more people knew about, because you can do some really crazy things with it (like Secret of Mana, final battle mana beast stuff). But you're basically using panoramas, to animate the background of your game. Depending on what you plan to animate for your background - this one's a bit more difficult and labour intensive - shorter animated gifs here are preferred because it means less work, but I'll show you how you can do this here in a sec, through a couple of examples:

EDIT:Now a couple of games already use this method:

One is PepsiOtaku's Everlasting Journey:

Another is Kirin's Origin:

And another is the unreleased FF5:B@BB:

But the method is mostly the same:
-Take a movie or animated gif
-resize it to 320x240 (or smaller)
-export the gif as a series of individual pictures/animated frames.(png or bmps)
-Use infranView (or another image program) to covert those series of images to 256 colors so it's compatible with RM2000/RM2003.

Now, once you have your images together, here's how to turn those frames into an animated background in RM2000/RM2003:

1.Create a parallel process event (preferably in the corner or a place where it can easily be found so you can adjust it later to edit):

2.Choose Event Command>3>Change Parallax Background.

3.Select the first frame of your animated background.

4.(Optional/Recommended) - you'll want to test and preview how this background will scroll in RM2000/RM2003:
If your animated background has a lot of frames, this part will be very difficult to edit later on,
so make sure you've decided how you want it to scroll before adding more frames.

5.Once you have your first frame down, Copy and Paste the first frame, in sets of 10,
so you can easily edit in the next numbered sequence:

6. Once you finished inserting all your frames, Create/Copy and Paste a Wait 0.0 command between each frame.
(for slower animations instead of 0.0, add 1)

7. And you're done - (here's the animated background without the scroll):

(here's the animated background with the scroll):

Hope this helps puubutt ♥!

EDIT: if you have anymore questions let me know.
This particular example is 94frames and 12MB - but I need to convert down all the frames to .xyz to help with compression.
Stuff like that, you'll want to take into consideration when creating animated backgrounds for RM2000/RM2003
author=LordBlueRouge
Hope this helps puubutt ♥!

AAAA I LOVE YOU ; ; Thank you so much
I knew as soon as I saw this thread that LBR was going to appear with an incredible tutorial, and I am happy to see that I wasn't wrong!
Do you want to create stunning videos right through your mobile device? Are you interested in doing more than what a normal mobile phone can do? If yes, *GAMMAK* is a must-try for you.
author=Kaempfer
I knew as soon as I saw this thread that LBR was going to appear with an incredible tutorial, and I am happy to see that I wasn't wrong!

Y knew?
author=StephanieHall
Do you want to create stunning videos right through your mobile device? Are you interested in doing more than what a normal mobile phone can do? If yes, *WHO QUOTES A POST THAT INCLUDES A SPAM-LINK, THEN ADDS NOTHING ELSE TO THE CONVERSATION? A BOT, THAT'S WHO.* is a must-try for you.
Pages: 1