RMNLYMPICS 2 SHARE TOPIC

Pages: 1
Oh, hey. Remember this? Yes, you do.

Please use this topic to get some closure on the event, to show off the amazing work you guys all did and to give each other a good old slap on the back for a great job.

Explanation
I run a lot of events around the site and yes, I make a few mistakes or take some time to get to things. I freely admit that I am human and can fuck up from time to time.

RMNlympics event was my baby and I was proud of it. The first time it ran we didn't think it would get any traction. Some people were wondering if it would work and were scepticle about it. I pushed forward and it worked. It got a lot of people joining in and it was a lot of fun.

The second iteration of the event didn't work out so well. Not only did some people not follow the rules properly, causing more work for me, but we didn't get near enough people joining in, sending in and taking part in the event. This is the kind of event where more is better.

One of the issues, I think, was that there was a longer time period given for the second event. The first took place over a weekend. The second, people pushed for a longer time. I didn't think it would work. I didn't want it to be longer, but I acceeded to people saying it would be better and it turned out, well, it wasn't better.

The teams ended up being very unbalanced, with some people not putting in anything and others putting in a lot. Add to that that my life was kinda hectic and I was going through a bout of depression around the time so I kept trying to force myself to spend any time I had free to do this thing that had become less of a fun event and more of a stressful requirement.

People hadn't sorted their entries. Had put things all into one game project so that I needed to pull the different pieces apart to make up the entries and by the time someone suggested "just get them to do it" it was far too late.

I'm stubborn. I'll keep on and on at something until it burns me out. I don't let things go and sometimes it makes me good at stuff I do. Sometimes it makes me bad at it. In this case I wasn't willing to let go of the event, and kept pushing myself up against a wall where I wasn't getting anywhere and people kept throwing reminders at me about it. It seemed at some points that the moment I could relax and not stress over it, someone would pull it back up and shove it in my face.

So I cancelled the event. I realised I wasn't going to get anywhere with it, a year had passed already and I was just burned out. I told people they could put their stuff on the site, that it was over, that I was sorry.

And people still bring it up. I know it's a memey, jokey way but it hits into my heart because I did fail, and it was my event and it feels horrible every time someone jokingly says "lol RMNlympics when?" because it puts me back in that period of not being able to deal with the stress and everything that was going on at the time.

So... this is my apology for not being able to get it done and hopefully with you guys sharing the amazing things you made for the event, there will finally be closure - for the community and for me.

Sorry for failing.

Thank you for being the amazing community you are.

Much better than my boob girl orz
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Pixel Image

What my team voted for:

What I was originally going to submit:

Asset Made from Scratch

Facechip Edit

Goofy Facechip

Item

Armor

Non-RTP Map

RTP Edit

RTP Map

Sprite Edit

Title Screen based on name generator

Music 8-Bit
https://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/40682/locker/Carolton.mid

Standard Music
https://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/40682/locker/Carol_Victorious.mp3

Sound Effect
https://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/40682/locker/Magic.wav

Weapon
Dyluck
For thousands of years, I laid dormant. Who has disturbed my slumber?
Now I feel bad for all the times I joked about RMNlympics -_-

Even though I had no actual stake in the event myself =P

Also, that looks awesome Dyhalto, and good stuff too piano
Sorry Libby, I've mentioned it many times. I do think though this will provide closure on the event.

My entries can all be found here:
https://rpgmaker.net/users/Fomar0153/locker/Fomar0153_Team_Brian.zip

But some highlights:
Custom Menu System

Made using my custom resource - the hand - and my resource edit

Custom Item

Custom Weapon

Custom Armour
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I think I'm more angry at the frequency in which events I have joined turned into nothing. RMN Olympics was the third event I submitted something for, and nothing has come of it.
What were the others? Because I'm pretty damn sure it's the only one that hasn't been finished off in like, the last 5+ years. If you're talking other sites, that's different, or chain games (because they're different too). You can't count it against the site that RMN Pokemon didn't get finished,for example, since it wasn't an actual event but a personal collaboration game, so...
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Liberty
What were the others? Because I'm pretty damn sure it's the only one that hasn't been finished off in like, the last 5+ years. If you're talking other sites, that's different, or chain games (because they're different too). You can't count it against the site that RMN Pokemon didn't get finished,for example, since it wasn't an actual event but a personal collaboration game, so...

I know one of the events he's talking about is Befuddled Quest 7.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Off the top of my head, of events that seemed to fall off the radar with nothing ever really happening, I can only think of Supification Search (1 year old, collaboration/community event), and... Befuddle Quest 7 (3 years old, collaboration/community event)?

So, uh, collaboration/community events? Which, as mentioned, are their own beasts.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Yeah, I think more of us joined these events. I'm not worried about Stupefaction Search as I can always make my puzzle into an individual game, if Jero cancels it and you should be able to do the same with yours.
The other is BQ7. Kentona still might finish connecting puzzles one day.

As for this event, I enjoyed being in a team a sharing my shite creations. It was fun. Also, Route Through Peaks started as a game for this event. RTP edits used in that game will be released as a pack together with the game.

Here are the two entries worth mentioning. Maps. For some reason, they have different resolution. Also choosing Harvest Moon rips for the custom one was a mistake.

SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Befuddled Quest 7 and these 2 =

RMNlympics and Stupefaction Search are 2 events that actually ran right after each other. So not only in the past 5 years, but in the same time frame as the Olympic event.
I guess something must have been in the water around that time. That said, I can happily say I only failed once? >.<;;;

Stupefaction was a member-ran collab game, not a staff-run one. Risk vs reward on those, like with the Pokemon one or the one Craze started that time, I'm afraid.

As for Befuddle Quest 7 - feeling let down over it is understandable, sure, I was too, but there's no need to get passive-aggressive about it, especially when it was another collab event and as mentioned, they're more of a risk to take part in, especially when not staff-run. And at that point kentona had retired from his position. Hell, the fact that kentona managed to get 6 of those completed is an effort in and of itself.

Of course, having three things bam out in a row is kinda sucky, and I can understand you getting upset about it, but understand that it isn't a 'pattern' except in the fact that you were tied to all three.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Liberty
one or the one Craze started that time, I'm afraid.

*salutes Wyrm Warriors*
These are the best things I made for the event

Videos of the cutscenes:

The "funny" cutscene

Sound effects only cutscene

CMS:

author=Dyhalto
Go ahead.
Judge Me!

https://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/6639/locker/Pixel_Map__Dyhalto_Normal.PNG

God damn, nice one!
Pages: 1