[POLL] UPCOMING CHAIN GAME EVENT - VOTE FOR A THEME! [CLOSED]

Poll

What should be the main weather condition in our Silent Hill inspired chain game? (Specificy below if you would prefer something other than what's here) - Results

Heavy winds or tornado
5%
Wildfire or volcanic eruption
8%
Sand or dust storm
24%
Heavy rain + flood
32%
Radioactive fallout + acid rain
29%

Pages: first 12 next last
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
I got Libby's permission to host a Silent Hill inspired chain game later this month. The problem is that I do not want to go with Silent Hill's fog theme directly, but rather use a different weather condition than fog. So with the help of some discordians, I came up with a few other ideas on what we could have as the main weather condition that haunts the game's town will be. You don't have to be partaking in the event to vote, you may just vote for what you would be interested in seeing.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Tbh, these are all rather extreme in comparison to fog. Especially flood and volcanic eruption.
Sand or dust storm seems to be the most atmospheric one if you aim for a horror game.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Voted sand storms. You should actually have tornadoes as part of sand storms since dust devils are real things you commonly see. You could actually have dust devils as real enemies in the game.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Time for radioactive Silent Hill ya'll.
An intense radioactive Silent Hill game sounds fun.
aw I voted in fallout before seeing the OP. I'd like to see that in more of a Parasite Eve kinda game rather than a Silent Hillish one. For the latter, definitely melancholic permarain would be my choice.

Sandstorm brings me Desert Nightmare / PEII to mind though
Frogge
Desert Nightmare was one of the main reasons I was afraid of adding sandstorm to the list. I'm just not very fond of the fact that it's been done already, but then I thought there would probably be a way to at least make it a bit more unique. Besides, even if it turns out similar to Desert Nightmare, there's still not a ton of horror games in the desert, so I don't think it would be too unoriginal.

No idea what PEII is, sadly.
pretty sure this is one of the things, if not the main thing, that inspired desert nightmare:

also you could pick a theme literally nobody has done before and still make it 100% unoriginal, so picking a theme should be less about "originality" (as it, really, isn't) and more about picking a theme people like, relate to, feel challenged by etc
Frogge
oh, the II is 2 in roman numerals. I assumed it was the first letters of two words starting with I.
finally, a sequel to prince edward island
whens this start? Well if sand storm wins I will sneak in rave music... you know the one
Frogge
Hopefully sometime later this month. I might be able to start my chapter by the 15th if all goes well. It also depends on Fomar, though, since he'll be making us a script for the combat. I should have sign ups open next week at the latest.

edit: should've specified that I'll be closing the poll on the 15th, and I'll probably dedicate a week or so to sign ups. So around the 22nd, probably.
where is the darude + sandstorm option
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I don't think radioactive fallout is more original than sandstorm.
You know... if it were set in a desert town full of undead like Terranigma's zombie town... that'd be pretty neato. Limited vision while a sandstorm beats at the walls of the town, making the maze-like streets hard to navigate while you try to search for your missing twins, who you left with Uncle Savastan (recently found dead in his room at the inn while you were out finding a mechanic to fix your jeep). Now strange creatures roam the town and you need to save the kids, find the shit for your jeep and get the fuck outta there... because at the end of the storm the town will disappear, it being a mirage that the four of you stumbled on during your journey to visit an ailing family member.
I voted for rain based mostly on pragmatism (some of the weather effects indicated seem like they'd be really tricky to pull off or work with, esp. the wildfire and tornado options) but also because I've always enjoyed the mood/atmosphere of having varying levels of rain in my games. I just noticed the "flooding" angle after I voted and while that could be challenging too I also see how it could be really cool. IRL at least drowning is horrifying.

You know what would be awesome? Setting the game on board an actively sinking ship complete with actively panicking crew (inexplicably disappearing and reappearing a la Silent Hill). The derelict ship segment at the end of the newest Resident Evil game was awesome too but that ship was already run aground and all fucked up.

I was going to make a joke about the David Cage/Quantic Dream game "Heavy Rain" (probably the best or at least least bad thing that those guys made) but...I couldn't think of one.

The radiation angle is also really interesting...I would like to see it COMBINED with the supernatural (in a different way than Metro 2033; there's this completely throwaway line in Metro that the nuclear apocalypse blew up the world SO HARD that it blew up heaven and hell too and so ghosts and demons and angels and whatnot are wandering the ruined world; in spite of how incredibly intriguing this premise is, Metro never meaningfully revisits it in either game) rather than replacing the supernatural with mutants and whatnot. This is also kind of one of my fan theories about Twin Peaks: The Return is that the tests at Los Alamos sort of punched a hole in the dimensional fabric, allowing the to come through into our reality. (Although trying to make sense of Twin Peaks is kind of like when you were a kid and you'd spin yourself around really fast in a circle to make yourself dizzy for fun.)

I am on the fence about participating in this. I love Silent Hill with all my black little heart, but "make a Silent Hill inspired game" is a box I've already thoroughly checked in my career as an indie dev, a long, long time ago.
Frogge
Holy shit, a ship setting is actually a really good idea. I’m definetly saving that in case I ever decide to host a sequel to this in the future. Thanks storm!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Frogge, I've got name suggestions:

If fallout wins:

Winter Haven

(Winter for nuclear winter; Haven for a good name of a sleepy town. Winter Haven has a deceptively pleasant sound).

If rain/flood wins:

Purification

If sand or dust wins:

Scattered Winds
Frogge
Haven is a word we could look into for sure. I’m not too sure about winter.

I might just look into closing the poll before rain ends up winning because i already came up with a bunch of stuff we could do for radioactive but I actually don’t have any ideas for flood except for a visual look for the town. ;;
ESBY
extreme disappointment
vote rain

the water type not the acid type
Pages: first 12 next last