MISAO RE-JIGGIFY

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I'd propose "Best use of original assets" maybe.
Doesn't hurt to support people who do the effort of creating stuff from scratch.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I think Eye Candy should cover that. I'm not sure if there's any curation between nominations and votes, but what would be qualify as original assets? For example OldPat's game has original portraits, title screen...

But it would be a good idea to celebrate original assets in some way. I don't think it's quite what misaos are for, but a dedicated article on games with all custom art or an event would be nice. There are many ways to talk about them, which don't have to be misaos. And sorry if I sound aggressive, I don't mean it. I personally prefer custom graphics, but I also don't see games using pre-made assets as inferior to games with original ones. RM can be a save space for both.
Mirak
I'm not demonizing people who use premade assets or calling them inferior, I'm saying making everything from scratch including graphic assets and audio requires more time and effort, and it does, or am I incorrect on this?

There can be RTP games that are superior in every way to many games with custom assets, but I am not talking about a category to judge this, I'm talking a category that exclusively gives a pat on the back to people who go the extra mile for their resource development. Obviously, any asset that was CREATED for a certain project counts as a custom asset, and in the context of a community like this it includes drawing on top of bases to create new sprites, frankesteining, custom sfx & music, etc.

Eye Candy encompasses not only graphic resources but accounts for effects, filters, animation tricks, not precisely whether graphics are custom or not. Many games that use parallax mapping with RTP tiles can be made gorgeous with adding a few well placed lighting effects, filters and picture tricks, which is what I figure can result in eye candy. The inventiveness on how to polish what you have to a beauteus shine.

But yeah whatever. It was just a suggestion.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. It wasn't meant against you.

I've never realized that. I always considered it to be best graphics category.
In theory it would be an interesting category but also a difficult one to distinguish from eye candy.
Btw, It used to be Best Graphics and Artwork, which sounds closer to your Best use of original assets category.
Mirak
Not offended, it's coo just very very tired
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
I like the idea, but I feel like it would be near impossible to find games to nominate for it. I mean, there's a couple games that have original assets, but when music's added in, things get a bit more complicated since games with original graphics AND music is a lot more rare. Furthermore, how much would "original assets" include? Does the font have to be your own? Do the sound effects have to be your own?

I do think people really deserve a pat on the back for making original assets, but as a misao category I'm not 100% sure as to how well it would work out (especially if you consider that most people will just be nominating whatever got popular for every single category anyway)
I think what you guys are trying to say is that you like the idea of a "best Art Direction" sort of award? Art Direction tends emply unique and cohesive visual and audio design, a vision very specific to its creator/creators vision.
author=visitorsofdreams
Most substantial game to me is weird because just because a games big and full of stuff doesnt always mean its good. A small dense game can be just as big as a large sprawling one. Its a pretty hard category to really pigeonhole.

It has little to do with quality but the amount of content/playtime, which I think can be evaluated pretty easily, I mean there's a website dedicated to purely just the playtime of games and nothing else so it's a pretty obvious metric. Every other category besides GOTY falls under the same logic "just because it's the best in this aspect doesn't mean it's good" so I don't know why that's a problem.

I think if you made a game with 30+ hours of content that should be commended somehow, even if it isn't the most balanced well made game, because obviously compromises had to made to make the content work. But idk you might not understand where I'm coming from when I mention the trend of games I'm speaking of.
Mirak
author=visitorsfromdreams
I think what you guys are trying to say is that you like the idea of a "best Art Direction" sort of award? Art Direction tends emply unique and cohesive visual and audio design, a vision very specific to its creator/creators vision.
Yeah this sounds more or less what the meaning behind my suggestion was.
I liked the idea of best event game and the not dead yet catagory.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
WRT original assets, I'd say maybe separate awards for original assets, since that could include assets that are neither RTP nor originally created for the game.
There is a lot of work that goes into ripping and fitting non-original non-rtp assets. Usually. I know, every time I've tried to use ripped assets for a gam it's taken a lot of work; for me, anyway.
I feel like the lawsuit waiting to happen award also pertains to the fangamey nature of a lot of games on the site. Traditionally that award goes to games with Final Fantasy in the title and such. But it's also just a neat reflection of rm culture in that yeah there is kind of a cool aspect of rips that can either lead to a consistent looking game that's almost a clone of existing SNES game or graphics that are from every inconceivable source that it becomes impossible to track everything.

Discussion around original art is funny since that's what "regular indie games" are assumed to commit to anyway. But hey if enough people think that's worth separating into 2 of its own things I'd be fine with it. But also yeah, "art you have the rights to" is almost its own category that complicates things.
That said, there are repositories out there of ripped stuff already and creating something from scratch is very different to taking someone else's work since you need to consider how it will work in the game, the colour scheme, the sizing and shaping, editing to fit other images in the game, dealing with skill-creep, etc.

Besides, we do have the lawsuit waiting to happen Misao which covers rips and shit so why not an original asset one as well?

Commercial might be something for next year since it would probably take some fiddly business to get working. Same with multiple nominations. We'll be doing some events this year where optional parts are to nominate games for Misaos, so that should help with numbers a bit.

So far I think these would work:

Best Event Game
The best of the event games that came from this year.

Not Dead Yet Award
Given to the best old game that was finally released this year.

Star Stealing Prince Award
The game that used the best original assets this year.

The Everlasting Journey Award
The game that has the most content to offer and takes weeks to finish.

I almost called the last one the Final Tear 3 award but that kinda conveyed an idea of system bloat and bad design choices so I didn't. 150 hours tho... >.<;
Game That Almost Ended the Site Award

jokes aside, the list sounds good to me.
author=Darken
I feel like the lawsuit waiting to happen award also pertains to the fangamey nature of a lot of games on the site. Traditionally that award goes to games with Final Fantasy in the title and such. But it's also just a neat reflection of rm culture in that yeah there is kind of a cool aspect of rips that can either lead to a consistent looking game that's almost a clone of existing SNES game or graphics that are from every inconceivable source that it becomes impossible to track everything.

Yeah, as an aside "Lawsuit Waiting to Happen" was the award I originally was aiming for, for 2018. But after seeing the entries that won, it was clear that, "Lawsuit Waiting to Happen" is not just using stolen assets, it's creating a genuine fan game that's convincing enough, that it might cause a lawsuit waiting to happen - like calunio's Marvel Brothel or in the case of this years winner, Castlevania: Elegy of The Curse.

But yeah, I agree. I really like these new additions to the list. Great Work Liberty!!
I think I posted the exact same thing last year, but, my thought is: does RMN really produce only 5-6 notable games per year? If so, then why do we have over a dozen categories of awards, when the only "good" games to come out will just take home multiple? If we do have more than a couple good games per year, why do only a few dominate the categories?

(I think either way, the way to tackle this is to get rid of categories like "best characters" or "best xxx design" or w/e because they'll naturally just become the "most voters played this game" award, and replace them with genre-specific categories or categories that wouldn't make sense for one game to work for multiple, such as the new dev or best demo ones, which I think are about the strongest)
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I think we eliminated some categories last year due to the fact that a lot of things were just the same.

A commercial game could get nominated, but would have to have a demo on the website. All nominations need to have a game download at least. "Best Commercial Game Demo."
OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
I agree with Frogge and Cap. It's difficult to judge what games use *only* original resources, for the reasons Frogge listed. But we could think about an alternative to that. Something in the "Art Direction" area could work (although "Eye Candy" represents that too).

I also like psy's idea, to differentiate or at least add "unique" categories. Although I'm not against the idea of having categories like "Best characters", "Eye candy" etc etc. Example, a game could have a really bad plot but an extremely good art style and overall aesthetic and in that case it would be okay for it to win "Eye Candy award" instead of an "Excellence in Narrative" award. But it would be difficult for it to standout if the only category that's available is just "Best game, period". Genre-specific could also generate the "single game on multiple categories" problem, because there may be games that represent more than one genre.

Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=psy_wombats
(I think either way, the way to tackle this is to get rid of categories like "best characters" or "best xxx design" or w/e because they'll naturally just become the "most voters played this game" award

P. sure that's all the awards tbh

ETA: Which honestly will ultimately defeat any attempt at improving the awards because it doesn't matter what the category is when most voters will just vote for "Oh, I know that title!"
Pages: first prev 123 next last