WHAT DO YOU THINK OF 'GIRLY RUNS' AND OTHER SUCH MOTIONS?

Pages: first prev 123 last
Thank you for sharing your opinion then XD, I actually appreciated your detailed explanation on why you disliked it tbh, even if my opinion differs.
The girly run can be good to show a characters personality. I would never apply it to all females in a game just the ones that I want to appear extra delicate feminine. Don't forget with a sprite you don't get the same level amount of detail you would in real life so over exaggerating certain aspects of a character will do the job of giving them certain personality traits.
Yes we all know nobody really runs like that in real life, but also nobody does that weird breathing/bouncing thing like characters do in battle but if you did breathing realistically you would never see the characters move until it was their turn and it would look boring. Over exaggerating a characters animations gives a good idea of how the characters feel.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I feel like you can express a character's personality traits using movements that real people actually do, is all I'm saying.

Tropey shit in general tends to come across as "this person is just going to use stock stereotypes, so don't expect anything especially interesting or new."

Which is fine if that's what you're going for- not everything needs to be transcendent- but it's definitely good if you're going for creative work to spend less time copying already existing genre conventions, and more time observing real actual humans and using those observations to inform your work.
You cant really sprite the subtle personality indicating motions people actually do in older pixelatted styles.

Remember tropes are tools.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
I think the question is a lot more simple than what is being discussed.

Question: Should a character run this way?

Answer: If they're in heels. Cuz when you're in heels that's how you run - on your forefeet with your hands out for balance.

Conclusion: Is this character in heels? Why would they be?
Isrieri
Conclusion: Is this character in heels? Why would they be?

If you have the chance to make a fictional universe then please, remove heels from existence. Do us all a favour and imagine that this non-footwear doesn't even exist and people wear real shoes instead.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=Terozu
Remember tropes are tools.

True, but misusing your tools will lead to disastrous results. Try to saw off wood with a hammer, and people will think you're an idiot. Try to use the "girly run" and play it completely straight can make people think you're sexist.

I can see a fair number of uses for the girly run in a game, though none of them involve being a part of a character's core identity. If the character was some dastardly villain trying to put on the act of a childish "girly" girl to shake off suspicious eyes, then I can see it being appropriate. Putting a character in a situation where they are forced to run that way when they ordinarily wouldn't can be played for laughs.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
People who thoughtlessly rely on tropes are also tools! :V
As are people who dismiss something solely because of tropes. >.<
Pages: first prev 123 last