POST SOME OLD SHIT

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I love the 10-year-old drawings! :D
A coprolite (also known as a coprolith) is fossilized feces. Coprolites are classified as trace fossils as opposed to body fossils, as they give evidence for the animal's behaviour (in this case, diet) rather than morphology. The name is derived from the Greek words κόπρος (kopros, meaning "dung") and λίθος (lithos, meaning "stone"). They were first described by William Buckland in 1829. Prior to this they were known as "fossil fir cones" and "bezoar stones". They serve a valuable purpose in paleontology because they provide direct evidence of the predation and diet of extinct organisms. Coprolites may range in size from a few millimetres to over 60 centimetres.

Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Darken
that's one limber baguette

That's what she said!
Found the .PSD for this in my archive. Modified date: 21 June, 2006. I guess I made this, but I don't remember doing so.

Here's a render test for something (I can't recall what) from Dec, 2006:

Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=BillyX
I found some old Photobucket pics of one of my first games. From 2007 or 2008... or something like that.

A lifetime ago it seems.

You're the one who made Lurking Underlife? That expeditioners' photograph still haunts me.
I can't find it anymore but more than 20 years ago I had a sig on an anime forum that looked almost exactly like this image with Vash from Trigun, Spike from Cowboy Bebop, and Gene from Outlaw Star

Sooz
Why are these men pointing guns at me I have done nothing wrong and carry little of value on my person.
author=Sooz
Why are these men pointing guns at me I have done nothing wrong and carry little of value on my person.

They want your clothes. They have a mission they must accomplish. Also they need 5 bucks for bus money.
Sooz
Well they could try asking politely!

Kids these days....
author=Delsin7
author=Sooz
They want your clothes. They have a mission they must accomplish. Also they need 5 bucks for bus money.

Indeed Vash Spike and Gene tend to have alot of money issues so they probably want bus money.
I'm going to post in this thread again once the tech demo is up. But I wanted to post this NOW before I forget again, cause I know how much Darken loves Final Fantasy 8!!

Okay, so quick background info. Squaresoft was part of the dot.com 2000 boom era too - PlayOnline was this huge thing they were cooking up back in 2000, they had a site already up, where you could register your account - for what, we didn't know - and fill out a survey of all the squaresoft games you owned/played. (during that time I think I finally bought xenogears, it was one of the first games I bought online...but with shipping it was like...close to 100 dollars through FEDEX - yeah this was before amazon.com)

But in Japan, supposedly they released a promo vid (I think) where PlayOnline was going to be like, this online service similar to the Dreamcasts's sega.net but for the Playstation 2. But in this video my friend showed me, they showed, a chatroom, and a 4 player Online DeatchMatch for the PS2 game The Bouncer. This blew our minds!

Since then, PlayOnline kind of fell through and scaled back their plans a bit - they introduced Final Fantasy XI to the service as well as online missions for the japanese version of Dirge of Cerberus and "Front Missions Online" (which I still have a video of somewhere from 2007, I'll upload that too if I still have it) and numerous other games. But for us here in North America, back in 2000, this is the promo video we got instead! It shows 3 dudes connecting to Final Fantasy 8 online! dorky little brother included!!!

Please watch this, this is so good in so many ways I can't even describe.
I really love how they use scenes from Final Fantasy 8 to really sell the idea of a co-op online multiplayer game.
But the acting here is cheese to the max, I love it.

Turo! Need you! :)

EDIT/SideNote: Is Turo like, a drug dealer, when he's not playing mmos?
Yeah I've never seen this before, pretty hilarious :)

I guess FF11 was so early in dev they needed some kind of weird pitch to justify a service that's obsolete the moment an exec discovers what gamefaqs was. but I guess they needed something to structure MMO accounts :)

Does remind of the dot hack series in how online interfaces were super conceptual despite being in the very era where interfaces actually exist. The 80s and 90s have made comebacks but I don't see the Y2K stuff being as rampant, maybe we need to wait a few years.

:)
BillyX
The Helper Of The Cows
author=Corfaisus
author=BillyX
I found some old Photobucket pics of one of my first games. From 2007 or 2008... or something like that.

A lifetime ago it seems.
You're the one who made Lurking Underlife? That expeditioners' photograph still haunts me.

I did. Haha.
That picture 'gag' still scares me as well. LOL
Always wished I'd finished that series of games - now I can't even find it anymore. Time marches on. :)
author=Darken
Yeah I've never seen this before, pretty hilarious :)

I guess FF11 was so early in dev they needed some kind of weird pitch to justify a service that's obsolete the moment an exec discovers what gamefaqs was. but I guess they needed something to structure MMO accounts :)

Does remind of the dot hack series in how online interfaces were super conceptual despite being in the very era where interfaces actually exist. The 80s and 90s have made comebacks but I don't see the Y2K stuff being as rampant, maybe we need to wait a few years.

:)

LOL! I wanted to post this before I forget! This was like around 2001, on the cusp of the Final Fantasy: Sprits Within movie (yeah, that movie!) but that Final Fantasty 9 Strategy Guide, being behind a login/registration for their site, suddenly makes a whole lot more sense now! This was like, Square's way of trying to protect the info you could easily find online, but the unfortunate consequence of trying to protect that info through a login registration is that, now, no one can access the site anymore.

I read somewhere, someone eventually took all the info from the Final Fantasy 9 guide on PlayOnline and compiled it into a win.rar on gamefaqs. if I happen to come across it, I'll let you know - this era of Squaresoft will always be interesting to me. They were arguably at their peak in popularity at this point, ...and then the movie happened, and then Square Pictures, their 3D animation studio dissolved (but not before releasing Flight of the Osiris) but there was a huge rumor going around that Sakaguchi was eventually regulated to a window seat within the company, because Final Fantasy: Spirits Within was a box office failure. (I cannot confirm whether this is true or not)

Eitherway, I was able to snag a couple of the online manuals unfortunately the rest are locked behind the login/registration point.(you can actually access the 2nd page by clicking on the game titles at the top of the page) But for a time, they actually gave you the option to order and reprint your lost manual. Something that would've been really cool to still have today.

EDIT:Before I forget, I want to say thanks to AtiyaTheSeeker for mentioning supermariohq. I've been trying to remember that site for years. What I always thought was really cool was how they made scripts for a fan imagined Super Mario 64 Cartoon, very very cool stuff! lol
Originally when I first saw this thread, I wanted to post rpgmaker stuff, but the problem with being a lurker in old rpgmaker communities is that, because webarchive doesn't back up PMs or the stuff I made or said, It's like I never existed - but maybe that's a good thing? I dunno.

I was originally gonna add this in this blog post, but the stuff i'm about to mention is still rough to talk about,
so I thought I'd post it here instead. The Final Fantasy Dog stuff should make more sense though:

The friend I grew up with was a flash/sprite animator who worked some on parts of the 5th episode
for 8-bit theatre on newgrounds, but were later scrapped.
He taught me everything I needed to know about flash very quickly.
This is just stuff I was able to hold onto over the years from a few harddrives:

(scrapped intro for Episode 5)

...Also, back when I was figuring out mpg1 playback for rpgmaker2000/2003 I studied this intro video from Ragnarok Battle Offline a lot over the years. Ragnarok Battle Offline was this really cool 3-player-arcade-inspired-beat-em-up fan game, that originally started out as a flash animated april fools gag(you can check the original video by googling "Ragnarok battle offline flash" - the gag was: this looked like a real arcade game based on ragnarok online complete with a scoreboard, but it wasn't real)

Unfortunately the video intro for the game itself is 60mbs for mpg1. But because parts of it were made in flash/adobe effects, my friends and I would always look at 0:49-0:59 over and over wondering how they did this in flash. This stuff is so old now it doesn't compare to what peeps are doing today. But back then, digital animation felt a lot like cheating traditional methods, but in the best ways possible. Like, we'd go back to scenes from our favorite cartoons and try to figure out how to recreate those scenes in flash - Like, "oh, they used the camera in this way" or "how do I make something similar to that?" Flash was a really cool thing to have back then.
author=twentyfour24
Found the .PSD for this in my archive. Modified date: 21 June, 2006. I guess I made this, but I don't remember doing so.

Here's a render test for something (I can't recall what) from Dec, 2006:

I wanted to post this while it was still fresh in my mind. You guys may have seen this already years ago, you might not, but it ties into the blog post I mentioned on Final Fantasy Dog. about Flash Movies being starting point for me with rpgmaker:

Back in 2005-2007ish, maybe earlier, flash animator RSF made a flash movie where he parodies the entire ending of FF6, where old video game consoles, fight against the PSPs Multimedia future. The PSP being Kefka. It is so good. This is worth watching at least once. I love the attention to detail they go to in this like how Umaro is the XBOX because it's so powerful. Or how Edgar is the N64 and Sabin is the Gamecube cause he needed to be strong enough to withstand anything - Like it's so dumb, but it's so funny, rpgmaker was made for stuff like this.
Less internet history and just, japanese game development history in general: https://imgur.com/gallery/raHqqSL

Posted an album of devs from 80s and 90s in their office spaces. Just like seeing the type of computers they were using and the weird pixel art interfaces.
author=Darken
Less internet history and just, japanese game development history in general: https://imgur.com/gallery/raHqqSL

Posted an album of devs from 80s and 90s in their office spaces. Just like seeing the type of computers they were using and the weird pixel art interfaces.

Sakaguchi, 1995, Likely around Chrono Trigger Development

Mind Blowingly cool! Great Find Darken, Holy Shit!

EDIT: They have a clip in the making of lunar CD, where they were using macs for the animation and 3D rendering for the animated cutscenes, no idea what the program was - but I've always wanted to know.
Pages: first prev 123 next last