IDIOTS IN IVALICE: A "ROLL TO DODGE" RP

Vivian throws a quick glance at Ser Arte, hoping that he thinks what she thinks.

With a soft click of the tongue, she signals for Ace to move forward and places herself between her friends and the people who came out of the crypt.

"J, Janna! We've been looking for you! What is the meaning of this?"

Vivian then frowns at the Nu Mou:

"And who are you, pray tell? Don't see many Nu Mous living in this wasteland... or anything living, actually..."
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Swaying back and forth from repeatedly having had the stuffing beaten out of me, I try to focus and analyse the situation in my head. Janna is here and might still be alive, but she's obviously being mind-controlled in some way. And then there's this Arcanist who seems really smug and full of himself.

Nivi seems to already be on her way to fix me up, but Vivi and Artie are still looking a bit hurt. We need more time, and more information about what's going on. So I have to get the Nu Mou to keep talking. He immediately strikes me as the kind of person who will gloat and brag for hours about how much smarter and more powerful he is than anyone else, if given the chance. So what better way to trick him into telling us what we want to know than by doing something unexpected and pretending to be utterly oblivious?

I take a few steps towards Janna and the Arcanist, but taking care not to get too close yet, with a smile on my face and my arms outstretched, as if to indicate a hugging motion.

"Jannie! Oh, I'm so glad we've found you, Kupo-po! And you've found a boyfriend! You even have your own home together. I'm so happy for you, Kupo!
Excuse me, Sir, I should have introduced myself. I'm Anno, one of Janna's many friends. You're so lucky to have found such a nice girlfriend, I can tell you. And she really is great at babysitting people, too, Ku-Kupo! How did you two meet? You have to tell me all about it, Kupo."
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Moving quickly to recover the beaten-down Anno's vitality and seal his scraped head, a brief illumination and soothing warmth across the Moogle's noggin recovers his HP back to max.

As Vivian addresses the bewitched Janna, no words come from the lioness' mouth. She continues to stand over the shorter Arcanist in a stoic manner, her eyes occasionally shining with that strange violet glimmer. With the Nu Mou opening his mouth to respond to the Geomancer, Anno's exaggerated actions come forth, leaving the warlock with his jaw hanging for a few.

As Anno puts on his act, Janna finally responds, shifting forward and curling her hands into fists. A gentle pat on the thigh, and the manipulated monk's approach suddenly stops. Finally the Nu Mou responds, groaning behind his bone-white half-mask.

"I", he starts slowly but angrily, "Cannot comprehend what you're trying to accomplish with this, Moogle. I suppose my mind doesn't wrap well around stupidity. But your friend has snooped too deeply into my affairs, and I'm afraid she's rather obedient lion when properly tamed". Stepping closer and dispensing a red-stained mace from his sash he continues, "Point in case? Sic 'em, cat".

At this point, Janna takes up her typical cat stance, weight shifting to back leg as her front leg extends loosely and arms go up in readied action. While she seems to be missing her usual fighting claw, it's very clear from past experiences that the bladed weapon isn't needed for her to deal serious damage. With the Arcanist backing off to the side to let his thrall do the dirty work, he seems to be motioning with his mace in a very wand-like fashion.

Arte approaches quietly behind, dismounting from Geralt and readying his short spear in both hands. Continuing fresh from the last battle's stats, the team seems to be caught in conflict with this newly-arrived adversary; the fight will officially begin after everyone's actions are presented.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
"That's not very nice! Janna, you need a better boyfriend." I shoot a volley at the Arcanist and back away to a safe shooting distance.

"Ser Arte, would you please do us the favor of keeping Janna busy while we teach her boyfriend some manners? Or in common speak; divide and conquer! (Especially since we don't want to hurt Janna, but you already knew that. I'm rambling. I'll shut up now.)"
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
A rare change comes over my face as the Arcanist finishes his little speech. I stop smiling and glare at him from below with an expression of utter contempt.

"Oh. You think I'm stupid because I have friends and like to say "Kupo" a lot. You think you're so smart and serious because you can enslave people's minds. Fine. Let's do it your way and get serious."

I take few short steps closer to him and Janna.

"I'm not stupid. I'm annoying. Get it right. And you know what? Even so, I have awesome friends. You only have slaves. Now who's stupid?"

I activate my Support spell to buff both Niviea's and Vivian's next attack.
"That's right! Our bonds won't fail to the likes of you! We will free Janna from your evil spell... ...and you will know that us nobodies have a few tricks up our sleeves!"

Vivian gathers magical energy into her hands and unleashes her Geomancy powers.
While she may not control the specific results of that invocation, she hopes to hinder or harm the Arcanist first and foremost.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Music: Boss Battle Theme of FF12

As the mysterious Arcanist whirls his mace about in arcane gestures, an unsettling howl flows through the stagnant air. Given the lack of so much as a summer breeze, there's no way this was the wind. Flowing out through two coffins sealed into the wall, a pair of rounded, ghost-like figures come into being, wearing yellowed rags over their phantasmal forms. In addition to dealing with an enthralled Janna, the team now has to contend with a pair of Ghouls.

Giving a firm "Hmph!" Arte steps forth, ready to try and intercept Janna even as the phantoms flow into pseudo-being. "Absssolutely".

The Arcanist scoffs at Anno's words at last. "Imbecile. I don't care *what* you deem yourself. You lot will soon be my thralls as well... living or otherwise".

FIGHT!
Ally Rolls -- Anno: 5, Vivian: 5 (was 4), Niviea: 5 (was 4), Arte: 3
Enemy Rolls -- Arcanist: 3, Janna: 6, Ghoul A: 5, Ghoul B: 5

With the Arcanist too busy performing his necromancy to react in a counter-spell, a surge of power flows through both ladies among the B-list heroes thanks to Anno's bolstering blessings. Clarity overflows Niviea as the world seems to slow around her, and the string of her longbow is nigh inconsequential. Meanwhile, Vivian's connections to the spirits of nature itself is vivid, clear as crystal as ideas and suggestions form in vague impulses through her mind and soul. Both Vivian and Niviea will indeed enjoy a +1 bonus to their rolls, without the roll spilling over into 6, this round.

All senses clean, Niviea seems to move with overwhelming speed, swerving and diving to the side as if by second nature. Shot lined up with supernatural alacrity, the split-second one of the ghouls flows to the side to ready an attack, the bowstring is released and the arrow hurdles into Janna's manipulator! Had it not been for the thick linen gambeson beneath his dark robes, the shaft would have been embedded deep into his chest, likely piercing his heart. Despite the fight not ending before it started, a deflated lung isn't a half-bad injury to settle upon. (2 dmg: Arcanist)

With the proper prodding from the spirits, Vivian's mystic wish is fulfilled. The loose stones among the adobe bricks rattle in place, the dry wooden floor creaking beneath them. For a few long seconds, it feels like the whole mausoleum would crumble upon them all, burying each fighter in the burial grounds. Whether the abrupt change of plans was due to Mother Nature's fickleness or protection of her faithful, it's uncertain. What *is* known is that the wind suddenly returns from its absence, whirling about the Arcanist and both of the ghouls. At first there seems to be no reaction, despite the crescent-shaped waves of barely-visible air flowing all about the pair in every which way. Before long, tatters and ribbons of the Arcanist's outfit begin to fall free from the cloth... and blood trickles freely. Looking down at the ground, Vivian realizes the power the spirits have granted her -- nearly-intangible blades of pressurized air so keen, their effects aren't felt until it's seconds too late to avoid them. The so-called 'Wind Slash', or as some might call it after the foreign mythical being with similar slashing skill, 'Kamaitachi'. (1 dmg: Arcanist, Ghouls A & B)

Throwing himself with bravado into the fray, Janna's momentary hesitance at the state of her unwilling master proves to be the hypnotist's downfall. Bringing up his javelin as if to pierce her through the guts, the Brigali prepares to block low. But in a move inspired by Hisaki's sword training from earlier that day, Arte whirls the butt of his short spear up against her head like a quarterstaff, smacking her about and causing her to stagger. Though not seriously harmed, Janna is indeed fazed enough by the smack to her dome that she must skip her next turn!

Wounded by the wrath of nature itself, the first ghoul to recover from the assault on its ectoplasm immediately denotes Vivian as a threat. Vanishing from sight, onto to reappear right next to her a split-second later, the apparition catches the girl off-guard as the spirits depart from borrowing her mortal coil to manifest their might. Reaching deep into Vivian's chest, the Viera groans out as she begins to feel her body turning numb. The low noise echoes out from her body as it becomes deathly cold from the inside out; any onlookers at the horror would notice the brown of her fur and skin has faded to a beige, then turned even more pale. Soon, Vivian would find her movements a smidge sluggish... thoughts dulled in her mind... and body partly zombified, which would only cause her harm from White Magic and Potions alike unless properly cured. (1 dmg and Zombie: Vivian)

Amidst the terror of Vivian's horrific transformation, the second ghoul decides to victimize the White Mage next. Whether in fear of her divine power or in spite against its master's grievous wounds, its hollow wispy eyes do not reflect; instead its answer manifests as a glob of barely-coherent ectoplasm bubbles into being, and is hurled swiftly toward Niviea. With no time to recover from her skilled dive-and-loose and stuck between the wall and a hard place, Niviea is slammed into by the phantasmal slime, a cold sensation seeping into her very soul. Had it not been for the magical properties of her chemise, the strike against her life force would have been much worse; nevertheless, the coldness across her inner being, as short-lived as it was, might as well have been a gust from Cocytus. (1 dmg: Niviea; damage is not a critical hit due to armor)

The Arcanist, quivering at his dribbling wind-wounds and clutching the arrow pierced into his chest, gasps for air violently from the abuse. "You... you!" Unable to force out much more, he isn't able to call forth the Mist to unleash his best strike yet. Instead he desperately swings his mace toward Anno, the cudgel clanging off the Green Mage's cuirass to little effect. Finally, an adversary since coming into the Jagd that failed to hit Anno in a vulnerable point! (0 dmg; armor turned a 3 into a 2)

Round 1 Results
Anno: 4 HP
Vivian: 2 HP, Zombified
Niviea: 3 HP
Arte (Guest): 2 HP

Arcanist: 2 HP, Ability Ready
Ghoul A: 2 HP
Ghoul B: 2 HP, Ability Ready
Janna: 4 HP, Ability Ready, Stunned: 1 rd
pianotm
"Vivian!" I look in horror at the wound Vivian has taken, realizing I can't heal her even if I somehow manage to pull off an extra cast of heal. "If you didn't want to get shot, you should have been a little nicer!"

I launch another arrow at the arcanist and try to get more distance from the ghouls, whether it be by backing further away or moving to an opposite side of the room.
A chill runs up Vivian's spine as she looks in horror at her own discolored hands. Feeling sick to her stomach, she plunges those trembling hands inside her bag and takes out the now so precious Remedy.

Vivian chugs the Remedy hastily, spilling some of the liquid down her chin.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
(@Avee: Don't forget you can use one consumable item per turn as a "free action," so you can still do something else in addition to drinking the Remedy. Good call on buying that, by the way.)

This meanie will obviously exploit any weaknesses we show without hesitation. So I try my best to pretend I didn't see what just happened to Vivian, and not let him know how much it scared me.

Instead, I say to him in response to his failed attack and failed speech pattern: "Here's another issue with trying to have thralls instead of friends: They might not want to play along after all. Ironic, right, Kupo-po?"

Since we have no idea just how many more undead this Arcanist can throw at us, I need to stop him from focusing on his powers. So as I'm talking, I reach back to pull out another torch, as if getting ready to attack with it. But then, trying to use my size to my advantage, I instead dart forward under his legs... and jump!
(NS: I forgot about that, thank you for reminding me!)

Vivian chugs the Remedy hastily, spilling some of the liquid down her chin.

In a fit of rage, she then shoots her assailant (Ghoul A) in the face.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Hey folks. Sorry to admit this, but I might have to put the game on a quasi-hiatus during Theme Roulette 2. Replies may be somewhat few and far between until I finish my game. That said, will try to update tonight or tomorrow. :o
pianotm
It's cool! Take your time!
AtiyaTheSeeker
Alrighty! With my event game officially finished, I'm thinking of starting IiI back up if everyone's ready. I know Piano's still in the event, so wanna ask him if he'd be good to start back up? If so, will carry on after I get a confirmation.
pianotm
Not a problem!
AtiyaTheSeeker
Alrighty, let's get to it once more!

Ally Rolls -- Anno: 1, Vivian: 2, Niviea: 3, Arte: 1
Enemy Rolls -- Arcanist: 6, Ghoul A: 4, Ghoul B: 5

The Remedy consumed by Vivian takes effect immediately. Thoughts become coherent once more, and the numbness caused by partial zombification fades away as her natural, healthy colors return. Swiftly taking up the crossbow, she sadly manages to miss her mark in an immediate from-the-hip shot, her angry intent and quick action from the ghoul's close proximity barely missing.

Arte, confident in himself with his main target still stunned from the blow to her head, whirls about and attempts to take on one of the two ghouls. However, his overconfidence gets the better of him as he trips on a loosened and raised bit of the flooring; an underarm thrust turns into an impromptu throw, also missing its mark against the wispy monster and flying all the way to the other side of the room. Arte is now unarmed, and unless he retrieves his weapon won't receive its reach-based benefits.

With Niviea gathering distance from the flowing ghouls, she's able to line up a proper shot with her longbow, pegging the Arcanist with another arrow. This one strikes deep into his hip, hobbling the Nu Mou with a pained grunt. (1 dmg: Arcanist)

The second of the two ghouls, desperate for life force and seeing his main victim back off, instead turns his attention on the energy-rich Moogle before him. With his summoner about to be assaulted by Anno, the ghoul prepares and hurls his own ectoplasm glob. Splattering and partly seeping into Anno's plate due to its spectral substance, the armor is able to dampen what should have been a vicious smattering. As with his Miqo'te companion however, Anno is chilled to his very core for the brief moment the ghostly ooze has its effect. (1 dmg: Anno; critical hit reduced to a normal hit due to armor)

Even if Anno was indeed short, he had seemed to overestimate the length of a Nu Mou's legs. Indeed, the stubby legs prove difficult to try and slip under. But biting the bullet of the shock to his soul from the ghoul's attack and trying to slip underneath anyway, Anno slides forth on his belly in a dive, skidding across the floor... and only knocking against the warlock's boots, not packing enough momentum nor velocity even with heavy armor. As such, the attack has no effect and the Arcanist, finally had enough with Anno's attempts, will target him first...

...which happens immediately. His eyes narrow as he spews forth gutteral incantations under his breath, acknowledging things have gone bad and wanting to at least take one victim with him. Mist billows thickly in the air around him, only to suddenly erupt into a violent, white-hot spike of energy that consumes him. Though originally intended for Anno, his staggering injuries prevent him from focusing the Mist into a straight line ahead of him as is normal for the Scathe spell, and winds up detonating it all around himself instead. Thanks to being right at his heels, Anno is also scorched by the plasma state of the supernatural vapor... but, especially given the Arcanist's critical condition, the warlock himself is utterly immolated. (1 dmg: Anno; 1 dmg and death: Arcanist)

With the magical bonds of the now-incinerated Arcanist coming loose, both ghouls start to fade in strength themselves. Eager to feast before drifting into the grave, the restless and cruel spirit of Ghoul A attempts a parting shot against the blasted Anno, trying to deal a finishing blow. But Janna has already snapped out of her mind control in a split second, and realizing the danger her companion is in flings herself in harm's way. The lioness bellows in pain as she takes the hit, clenching her chest as she experiences the chill of the grave herself. (1 dmg: Janna)

VICTORY!

As the ghouls fade from tangible existence, no longer bound to it by the deceased Arcanist's sorcery, Janna staggers as she tries to recover from the attack she intercepted. None of the party are in particularly good shape either; Arte is exhausted from his adrenaline rush tapering off, Anno's armor is still uncomfortably hot after the last-ditch explosion, Vivian had witnessed the horrors of partly becoming a mockery of nature, and Niviea had her own wounds to tend to like the others.

And for a brief few moments, only the lingering scent of burnt flesh, ashes and dust and the uncanny sensation the Mist wrought lingered.

Breaking the silence, Janna finally turns to the group and slowly starts speaking. "Mind control", she sighs. "It's not quite what theater holds it to be. I understood everything that was happening when he took my head over. I could feel his hate in the back of my mind, but all I could do was watch my own body act against my will. I couldn't even think..."

The Brigali, normally a confident and determined pugilist, is now covering her face and shaking. "...I never, ever want to experience that again. I'm so sorry... I'm... thanks for coming to save me, everyone. I'm so sorry I put you all in danger".
pianotm
I run up and try to hug her. I will attempt to cast heal again, targeting Janna.
"T, There's one thing I don't want to experience ever again either..." stutters Vivian, still suffering from the emotional shock of her brief transformation. "Don't worry about it, Janna. We're just glad that you're safe and sound."

NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
I wobble back to my feet, trying to figure out if all parts of my body are still in the places they should be.

"Is everyone... all right? Well,... I guess he isn't..." I mumble as I look at the scorched corpse of the Arcanist. But my friends are more important right now.

"Hey, it's okay, Janny... At least, thanks to you, we were... able to find and stop a bad guy. That's... gotta count for something, right,... Kupo?"

Exhausted, I plop back onto my butt. And immediately regret it, since the ground is hard and my everything is burned. But we're all still alive, and that's what matters.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Sorry for another long wait, folks. Had something of a week, and a lot of writers' block in the meantime. This coming arc might be a bit different than the usual, but I'm hoping it's at least something entertaining.

With the party now able to take a breather, Janna readily accepts the Cure spell and the hug from Niviea. "Th-thanks, Niviea", she softly replies, embracing her in a snug hug. Taking in the others' words while Arte recovers his javelin, Janna nods slowly. "Yeah... guess you folks have a point. Let's... let's just get out of here, and fast. This place has to be driving you crazy by now, let alone myself. If I ever have to return to a Jagd, it'll be too soon".

With that, she then approaches the other two once the hug breaks. "I still feel bad, though. I know you hate undead, Vivian, and I feel responsible for you almost becoming one. And Anno, wish we could've taken the creep alive; I don't think you're fond of even enemy fatalities, either". Sighing, she shrugs and adds, "Nevertheless, all four of you did well to make it here and win the day... and my safety. I'm grateful, I really am".

Arte nods firmly, marching back up to the others. "Aye. We've been beaten down, each of usss, but it'sss a joy to sssee you sssafe, lady Janna". Whistling to call in his mount, he hops onto the Chocobo's back in fluid motion. "But while I think of it", he then asks, "What have you learned from thisss danger? Not asssking to think ill of it, but what wasss that warlock up to?"

Janna nods firmly. "Right. I'll fill you all in as best as I can while we head back to Camoa. Most of the stuff will have to be regurgitated to Horatio I'm sure, but might save us time if you're present to help". Padding toward Geralt she extends the back of her hand gently to greet him. "Arte, if you don't mind?"

"Of courssse", he replies. "Hop on".

Janna then nods to the others. "I smell more Chocobo than ol' Geralt here. C'mon, let's head back together". Thinking for a brief moment, she hesitates to hop on. "But before I forget, I need to grab that fiend's belongings from deeper into the mausoleum. Last I recall while under his spell, he had a particular journal that might offer proof of his schemes..."

~~~~~~~

The status report, though saved at Horatio's discretion until everyone had gotten a good rest, was given bright and early the next morning. As the team had all worked together to rescue Janna, it was by her intent that the four others listen in on what would've been classified info for Polaris's top brass. As suspected, the late Arcanist was indeed peddling Magicite that contained the memories and power of fell Jobs, bequeathing malevolent powers to those who could handle their personality-warping effects.

The journal not only served as evidence of Janna's enthrallment, but also gave a manifest of others he'd sold his sinister Magicite to across the Loar continent, with Hovy the Seeq as his latest buyer. With the whole of the journal's contents, the authorities might just be able to track down the Arcanist's lab and any of the suspects who'd had access to his purchases.

As a show of good thanks, Horatio not only pays the team their usual wages for day-to-day livelihood, but also throws in 50 gil apiece for each member to resupply on adventuring goods, or otherwise for leisurely spending.

~~~~~~~

Another week passes, and things are quiet. Much to her initial chagrin, Janna had been forced by Horatio to take paid leave of clan duties to recover for the week. It's the last day until she's expected back in the guildhall, and her absence has been notable among the others.

That said, word of the four's exploits have spread among the whole of Polaris. The others of the B-list have been reasonably proud (and some envious) of the crew's successful rescue mission, and even some A-listers have offered up a good word to Anno, Niviea and Vivian here and there.

That said, a lack of Janna also meant a lack of help to find assignments. It's the evening once more at the Old Cypress Pub, and the dinner rush is going strong. With job opportunities most notably refreshed at week's end, the offers are ripe for the picking.

Or would be, had opportunity not come knocking immediately. With the trio up to their own devices during the warm night in Camoa, it just so happens that Vivian would find something odd along her way. Whether finishing shopping before the stalls close with sunset, or hanging out at her home, or whatever she's up to... a paper shuriken would be whipped to her feet, with the words "HELLO AGAIN" written across one part of the folded paper strips.

And should she turn about to see where it came from, a familiar face would be standing there, dressed in his usual purple garb. "...Vivian", he'd greet. "Sorry to drop in. But you remember me, right? Lenzo? I need to talk to you".