NHL 2019 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS / POOL PREDICTION THREAD

Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Yeah, Tampa and Penguins are doomed.

I hope Calgary can invent defense before it is too late. Right now, their strategy is to just wait for the goalie to catch everything.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

author=narcodis
Columbus out here ruining everyone's brackets.

Not everyone. I can smell that achievement from a mile away.
author=narcodis
Columbus out here ruining everyone's brackets.

Bizarro kentona is running away with the lead
If Columbus rolls Tampa then yeah, I think kory's a strong contender for winner this year! Especially with:

author=Cap_H
I hope Calgary can invent defense before it is too late. Right now, their strategy is to just wait for the goalie to catch everything.

Calgary is playing like it's any other year, they're getting clobbered! Between Columbus and Colorado it's showing what doing well in the regular season is good for.
Maybe I should stick with the summer movie blockbuster thread. I seem to do better at that.
Reminds me of the 2012 playoffs a bit. Kings barely made the playoffs that year, but wound up plowing thru every other team.
holy shit it happened

4-0 for columbus

fukkin rolled tampa bay

Congrats kory!
Nice work kory!

My whole east bracket is screwed!
God damn it, Tampa.

F**k, I didn't even get any bonus points out of it like kentona and narcodis did. God damn chokers! It's like Washington ALL over again!

Suddenly kory_toombs is looking pretty good right now when everyone was laughing at him for picking Columbus in a sweep only for him to laugh at all of us now. Heck, he even picked the Islanders to win too. I can't believe this...
I see… So when RMN’s in trouble for financial fraud, or miscellaneous things, it’s DENNIS HENDRICKS that's responsible for it, not Kenton Anderson who’s owes the IRS money... Or maybe they just go after and beat-up Liberty and take her money while you run off to Mexico in the meantime, lol.

And at least the good thing about this year pool compared to other year’s that we’ve done in the past is that you get to pick again for Round 2 all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals, so you still have a chance to – maybe - make a comeback instead of just getting screwed over because two of the teams that you picked in the first round didn’t bother to show up ( - Tampa and Pittsburgh). At least that’s a positive for all of us not named kory_toombs or GreatRedSpirit. I mean, yeah, you don't get to pick another Stanley Cup Team again, but it's better than a kick in the teeth, I guess.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Sorry for nitpicking, but I thought that guessing only the number of matches is worth one point.
It's one point if you only get the number of games correct but it increases if you get the series winner and # of games played correct:

For each series that you manage to successfully predict who wins, you’ll then receive 2 points. If the team that you pick loses that series but you still managed to successfully predict the correct number of games that it went to, you will then earn 1 point. And if you manage to predict both the winner and the correct number of games that a series goes to - you will then earn the maximum of 4 points for one playoff series!

However, points can double whenever your Stanley Cup Pick is involved in any matchup. Win or lose, those points will be doubled based on their results, so be extra cautious about who you pick!
(emphasis mine)

So:
- Picking the winner and the # of games: 4 points
- Picking the winner but not the # of games: 2 points
- Not picking the winner but correctly guessing the # of games: 1 point
- Not picking the winner nor the # of games: 0 points

Kory got both for 4 points and that got doubles to 8 points since they picked Columbus as the cup winners. Then another +2 for 10 total for picking Islanders over Penguins but not the number of games.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
That's not it. I wondered why both Kenton and Narcos have 2 points. It was because Tampa was their cup pick and the point doubled.

My bad.
don't rob me of the only 2 points I will (likely) only get!
At least you guys have points! Shinan and I don’t have diddly-squat as of yet! (Although that could change by tomorrow if the Golden Knights take care of business for me.)

And tough break for Calgary tonight... Despite the 3-1 hole that they’re currently in, it’s actually not their goaltending that’s letting them down as I thought it might.

And I just looked up something about teams coming back from 3-1 series deficits and apparently the Flames have NEVER come back from a 3-1 series deficit EVER in their entire history. So…yeah, that’s apparently a thing...

F**k.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I should have stuck with Bruins.

Smith has a weak point and Colorado exploited it well in game 2. Other than that the real problem is a missing defense line. Avalanches managed to shoot 50 times in game 3. Flames need to dig up a trench and pin down their opponents.
Smith has managed to make quite a few beautiful saves in the series.
I could come out of the first round without a single correct team prediction (though the Capitals seem like they will win). That's terrible.
Yeah, Flames are getting cleaned out because of how many shots they let Colorado take. Their defense is atrocious and they can't keep up the pressure to keep the puck in the offensive zone. I don't see them coming back from this.