NHL 2019 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS / POOL PREDICTION THREAD

author=kory_toombs
Can't Shinan get a possible 8 points if he guesses the correct number of games for the Bruins? I'm not sure how I can compete with that, if that happens. Assuming the Bruins win, he's at 21 points (25 points if it goes to 6 games.) We both voted for the Blues in 7, so it doesn't matter what happens with that.

Yep, that’s right; he would have 24 points, 1 point currently back of you, if Boston wins in six, and he would have 21 points, 4 points currently back of you, if Boston wins in four, five or seven, regardless of what happens in the other series.

Now, if Shinan’s currently 4 points back of you going into the finals, and you decide to both pick Boston in the end, then Shinan would need not only a Bruins victory but also successfully predict the correct number of games as well to have any chance in order to leapfrog you, ‘cause you would get 2 Points from a Bruins victory and he would get 8, which is a 6 point increase for Shinan, and he would then beat you by 2. Of course, you could also pick the same number of games as him as well if you wish, which in this case the best result for Shinan would be a tie for 1st place with you.

However, if Boston manages to win their series against Carolina in six, then he would only be 1 point back of you and all he would need then is either a Bruins series win of any kind, successfully predict the correct number of games (if the Blues or Sharks win the Stanley Cup, and depending on what Narcodis, or Kentona, if they’re both still alive does) or have the Sharks win if Shinan decided to go for the Sharks if you decided to pick Boston.
Ugh…

Damn it, Carolina, you had one job AND YOU BLEW IT!!! All you needed to do for me is win one stinking game and you couldn’t even do that, let alone score a goal. Absolutely pathetic…

Well…I guess the Blues and Sharks series is going to determine a lot of things going into the finals, as Kentona needs the Sharks to win in 5 games in order to avoid elimination; Narcodis needs a Sharks series win of any kind to stay in the race with Kory and Shinan; and I need them to win so I can be the sole occupant of last place again, otherwise GreatRedSpirit pretty much has last place locked down, providing that he doesn't totally screw up at the end.

Also - why is a battle for last place even a thing at this point!? I only have 2 correct out of 13 and the guy whose now in last has 6 correct out of 13 but because of those SEVEN pity points that I’ve collected it’s now a close race. WTF!

(Although, to be fair, the last two picks that I made were throw away picks on purpose, because I believed in the heart of the tank, so I guess it's more like being 2 for 11, which is still pretty bad, lol.)
Dammit. I had hoped for the six-game bonus points.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I found the previous threads for this game:

https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/17702/
https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/20636/
https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/22765/
The year Addit hated hockey???

I participated back in 2015 and placed dead last with only 3 points. That was a sad year...

author=Addit
Also - why is a battle for last place even a thing at this point!? I only have 2 correct out of 13 and the guy whose now in last has 6 correct out of 13 but because of those SEVEN pity points that I’ve collected it’s now a close race. WTF!

(Although, to be fair, the last two picks that I made were throw away picks on purpose, because I believed in the heart of the tank, so I guess it's more like being 2 for 11, which is still pretty bad, lol.)

Only the Sharks winning can prevent RETURN OF GANON
Welp. Couldn't have been more wrong.

BLUES IN 6!
Lol. So even why I try to deliberately tank on purpose – I STILL end up failing! Jesus...

Well…I guess the only good thing that came out of this is that pianotm must be running around downtown St. Louis right now knocking over cars and celebrating with the rest of the Blues faithful. I mean...it’s kind of poetic justice to see this happen to them, considering that they lost their NFL franchise a little while back, and this is kind of a nice thing to see happen to the city, especially after 49 years of waiting to go back to the Stanley Cup Finals again. Well done, Blues.

So, with that - it now finally comes down to this: It’s now a battle for 1st place between Kory and Shinan to see who takes home the coveted Alexander Ovechkin Pool Party Award! With 4 points separating the two, Shinan’s probably going to need to the Bruins to win the Stanley Cup (assuming that he decides to pick them in the first place) and guess the correct number of games as well in order to completely leapfrog Kory and take sole possession of first place. A Boston win, if Kory decides to also pick Boston as well, really won’t do that much for Shinan as Kory will still have a 2 point lead over him in the end. Of course, Kory could pick Boston and Shinan could pick the Blues, but then the best that Shinan can hope for is a tie for 1st place at best.

As for the raspberry award, er – I mean…the Eugene Melnyk Award – GreatRedSpirit has a 2 point gap over Addit and a 4 point gap over Kentona for the bottom of the basement. Depending on what happens in the final series – this still could go either way…

And speaking of that! I’m going to wait a little bit and see what GreatRedSpirit picks in the finals and then go the opposite of what he picks and just hope for the best. Either way, it should be a good finish.

author=kory_toombs
2018: The year Addit hated hockey???

Oh no, I was watching the entire playoffs last year just as much as this year and I was extremely happy that the Washington Capitals managed to bump the slump. The only reason that I didn’t make a pool for last year was because I took a little hiatus from the site (for no particular reason, I just wanted a break) and I forgot to make one.

Besides, I can never truly hate hockey. Hockey is life for me...

(Well, beside gaming, of course.)
SunflowerGames

My final pick:
Blues in 6

Shinan can tie me by picking Boston and them winning (unless he picks something other than 6 games and Boston wins in 6 games, meaning I would win by 1 point.) Or he can outright beat me for sole 1st place by picking the right number of games.

Good luck to Shinan. I have lived in Taiwan for 8+ years and haven't watched NHL hockey since Mark Crawford was Vancouver's coach... And Canada's 2010 gold medal is the last hockey game I remember watching. So, I'm not sure how I'm winning this.

Blues in 5
eat shit boston
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Blues In 6
author=GreatRedSpirit
Blues in 5
eat shit boston

So you’re going with the Blues, huh? Well, that makes this decision a no-brainer (even though I absolutely despise what I’m about to do).

Bruins over Blues In 4

author=kory_toombs
I have lived in Taiwan for 8+ years and haven't watched NHL hockey since Mark Crawford was Vancouver's coach...

Man, that takes me back... I started watching the Canucks, and the NHL in general, around the time that Mark Crawford coached the Canucks waaaay back in 2002 and have been following everything ever since. I thought he did a tremendous job behind the bench, and I’m kinda hoping that he ends up being Ottawa’s full time coach for next season.
I would like to pick Blues because I get double points even if I don't pick my winner right?

But I also believe in my Rask.

Bruins in 5
author=Shinan
I would like to pick Blues because I get double points even if I don't pick my winner right?

Nah, if you had picked the Blues you would only get the set standard amount of points like with everything else. You have to go with your Stanley Cup Champion Pick the whole way through if you want double the points (although there’s no shame in backing out if you feel things aren’t going to particularly work out for them, or for other strategy reasons).

I don't see that in the rules. All I see is:
However, points can double whenever your Stanley Cup Pick is involved in any matchup. Win or lose, those points will be doubled based on their results, so be extra cautious about who you pick!

Nothing about how my Stanley Cup pick has to be my matchup pick.
Yeah…reading it over, I think I might have forgotten to add something or rephrase this part differently, because I know I thought about the possibly of this happening mid-way through this thing (but luckily it wasn’t a problem this year), but it’s supposed to be that if you decide to go against your Stanley Cup Champion Pick at any time, it will just be treated like a normal standard matchup instead. But luckily, since you’re picking the Bruins in the finals, this isn’t that much of an issue, but I’ll definitely have to clarify that part better for next year…same thing in regards to finishing in last place as well, as it should be required that a participant has to submit picks all the way through the entire playoffs in order to be eligible for any future last place, or first place, award. I mean…tanking is fine (I mean, just look how wonderful that strategy did for me, lol), but it should be required that a participant goes the whole way through.

I mean, there are some exceptions, like, in Kentona’s case, since he has no chance to win the pool and he probably won’t finish in last place either that I can see him not picking anybody in the finals because it’s pointless for him, or if something happens on the other end and the participant couldn’t make his or her picks in time because of real life issues, or whatever. I can see that.

Either way, this is the first time that we’ve done this new format, so I would imagine that there are going to be some tweaks made for next year, but it’s good to take care of this stuff before it becomes a major headache in the future.
SunflowerGames

Okay, Shinan wins if Boston wins in 5.

If Boston wins in 4 or 7 games it's a tie.

If Boston wins in 6 games, I win by 1 point.

If the Blues win in any number of games I win.

Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I should change number of games to have a chance to overcome Narc!

Blues In 7
Blues in 7
eat shit boston
@ Cap_H - All right, I changed it to seven then. Everybody else’s picks have been updated too.

author=kentona
eat shit boston

- That's the spirit! :D