NHL 2019 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS / POOL PREDICTION THREAD

I decided, since tonight’s the very first game of the Stanley Cup Finals (- finally), that I bought myself an anti-good luck charm:

- Now I know that St. Louis is gonna win! :D

(...Or probably lose horribly, knowing my luck lately.)

(Also, FYI, I don’t smoke; I just bought this for my dad and brother to just troll them, since they both hate the Bruins so much. I was originally going to buy a Toronto Maple Leafs one, but even I’m not THAT cruel, lol.)
fingers crossed for

to happen again
Pfft…figures. It’s 2-0 for the Blues in the beginning of the second period - and everything’s going all REAL peachy for them until I had to go pick up samosas at the corner store, and then I come back and it’s suddenly 2-2 and then everything just went downhill after that for them (…crud.)

Oh well. Tomorrow’s another day, I guess… (I hope...)

Oh, and apparently if Boston happens to win their next game, GreatRedSpirit will officially clinch last place and pick himself up the Eugene Melynk Award for the most suckatude. However, a St. Louis win will negate that (…for now).

In that case, the best that I can do is then tie for last place with GreatRedSpirit with a St. Louis Game 6 or 7 victory; then we would both share the dubious honor together. Otherwise, it’s all for him!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
The fact that my home team is even competing for the Stanley Cup is unreal.
author=pianotm

I know, doesn’t it!? Same year that the Toronto f**king Raptors make the NBA Finals for the first time ever - who would have guessed?

(…Now DON'T let me down...!)
Well...something’s going to happen tonight, regardless of the outcome:

Same thing as Game 2; if Boston happens to win tonight, or any other any game down the road without losing to the Blues in 5, GreatRedSpirit will officially clinch last place, but I can still tie him, at best, for last if the Blues should happen to win the series in either 6 or 7 games.

But if St. Louis manages to win tonight and goes up 2-1 in the series, then Kory will officially clinch 1st place in the pool, but Shinan can still tie him for 1st if the Bruins happen to win the series in 7. 6 games won’t be enough, as Kory will pick up an extra point from that outcome and will beat Shinan in the standings for 1st place by 1 in the end, so it should be rather interesting tonight!

- Go Blues Go!!!

(...Sorry Shinan. But as this point, I'm only worried about my own hide.)
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!
author=Addit
author=pianotm
I know, doesn’t it!? Same year that the Toronto f**king Raptors make the NBA Finals for the first time ever - who would have guessed?

(…Now DON'T let me down...!)

The year the Vancouver Grizzlies moved out of Canada was the same year the Vancouver Canucks had just made the cut for the playoffs (I think it had been 5 years since the last time they last made it.) So naturally, being Canadians, no one cared. When it comes to sports, we always put hockey first.

author=kory_toombs
The year the Vancouver Grizzlies moved out of Canada was the same year the Vancouver Canucks had just made the cut for the playoffs (I think it had been 5 years since the last time they last made it.) So naturally, being Canadians, no one cared. When it comes to sports, we always put hockey first.

Well…I cared when they moved...! Them leaving town still brings a salty taste to my mouth. I mean, what the hell – Memphis? Memphis!? Really???

This is why the only good thing about the Toronto Raptors making it this far and potentially winning the NBA Finals is that this “maybe” might open up the possibly about bringing more NBA teams to Canada someday in the future, like Vancouver and Montreal. If Vancouver ever gets an NBA franchise back again, then there’s going to be some days where I’ll be torn about who to watch…(unless one team sucks and the other one doesn’t, lol.)

- And speaking of sucks! St. Louis manage to lay a giant egg tonight in front of their fans at home and got their butts kicked 7-2 in almost humiliating fashion. I would cry tears of sadness for them, but I already used up most of my tears the last time the Bruins shellacked a team in Game 3 this bad in the finals, ugh.

And with that, congratulations, GreatRedSpirit - you’re picking up another award, as you may have not finished in 1st place this year like the last two previous years had - but you still get an achievement out of it, and, in the end, isn't that all that matters???

I'll tell Liberty to hand out the achievements once the Stanley Cup has been rewarded, so you'll have to wait until then, okay? Besides, there's still the matter of who gets the top prize and whether you're sharing that Eugene Melnyk Award with me or not! ...Oh, and if Boston wins the series, Shinan will also pick up the Crystal Clairvoyant award as well. (Almost forgot about that.)
SunflowerGames

Looking at that score = 7-2 makes me feel very worried all of a sudden. How can you come back from such a beat down? I just need the Blues to win 1 more game... How hard can that be?
It’s the St. Louis Blues. You SHOULD be worried.

Either way, they gotta win the next game at home or it’s pretty much curtains for them. They can’t go back to Boston down 3-1 with two chances for the Bruins to win the Stanley Cup on home ice. They just can’t.

(Also, I blame pianotm for this. He jinxed the whole thing by posting here and ruined whatever mojo they had, lol.)
They are professionals. One huge loss is no big deal. In fact I think a close overtime loss might be harder on the players because they were so close. While a beatdown just means you don't have to try as hard and can start focusing on the following game immediately.

(and the beatdowners might also become overconfident)

Of course my first sentence was that they are all professionals so none of this might have any tangible effect at all!

Also:
how many umlauts does one name need?
SunflowerGames

Winner
Winner
Winner

(Why is it that every time that I make fun of a team that they end up winning the next day, lol. In that case, YOU SUCK, ST. LOUIS!!!)

And with that, congratulations, Kory_Toombs! Your half-baked scheme of picking underdogs ended up working for you this year (barely) as you earn yourself the coveted Alexander Ovechkin Pool Party Award, as you cannot finish any lower in the standings than being tied for 1st at this point. Well done!

Of course, just like with GreatRedSpirit and the Eugene Melnyk Award, I’ll get Liberty to hand those out once the Stanley Cup has been rewarded to St. Louis someone at the end of the Finals.

And to be honest, last night game was a FREAKIN' nailbitter! When Boston tied it to make it 2-2, I instantly thought to myself, “Oh no, please don’t do this now…!” But they ended up getting the go-ahead goal in the 3rd period thanks to Ryan O’Reilly - thank GOD!!! (Buffalo, why did you trade him again???)

So Shinan’s only hope now is having Boston win the series in seven games to end up sharing 1st place with Kory. Otherwise, anything else, including Boston winning the series in six, will have Kory sitting all alone at the top of the mountain.

Congrats to Kory Tombs for taking it this year! Even if Columbus didn't finish at least betting on them got ya the victory.

Still, go St. Louis! Beat Boston!
Come on, St. Louis - tonight’s the night, I can feel it…!!! CLINCH. THAT. CUP!!!

Besides, you don't want to continue being a loser franchise like my home team, right? Fifty years and still diddly squat...

*sigh*
@ St. Louis

God damn it, St. Louis - everytime that I try to pump your tires a little bit you let me down!!! Well, next time, for Game 7 - I ain’t saying anything!

And now…it comes down to this…the final game

A Boston Bruins win and Shinan will not only tie Kory_Toombs for first place and earn himself a share of the coveted Alexander Ovechkin Pool Party Award, but he’ll also earn himself another achievement as well, in the Crystal Clairvoyant Award, so he can double the amount of achievements that he gets in just one stinkin’ night…

But if the St. Louis Blues manage to go into Boston and win Game 7, then I will tie GreatRedSpirit for last place and earn myself a share of the lowly Eugene Melynk Award.

So…basically, this game is going to decide who shares what between either first place or last place, and whether the Blues will end their historical legacy of failure on Boston’s home ice or add more to it.

- May the best team prevail on Wednesday...
(…And with that I mean not Boston.)
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
It's a tight race. Obviously, I'm rooting for the home team. Wearing my Blue note! Regardless, whichever one wins this earns it. This fight is brutal.
If the Blues don't win tomorrow night, I riot.

I'm just so over the Bruins doing well most years, much like the Penguins. The Blues honestly deserve to win the series since they are the oldest team in the league to have never won the Stanley Cup. They've made it this far and are faring well against a strong team, so I'd say they deserve it.