SUMMER MOVIE WAGER

Pages: first 123 next last
It's that time of year.

Soon anyway.

The time of the movie wager. This is now the fourth year of movie wagering and also the first year that I searched for the old topics and got confused! It was a win.
First Topic
Second Topic
Third Topic

I will quote the rules from last year:
author=Shinan
The rules from last year's topic:
So you make a top 10 list of movies you think are going to do well this summer (and three dark horses, and possibly three more dark horses, see below*)

The rules from last year's topic:
Summer Movie Wager Scoring:
  • Getting number 1 or number 10 dead-on gets you 13 points (each).
The rest of the scoring goes like this:
  • 10 points for numbers 2-9 dead-on
  • 7 points if your pick was only one spot away from where it ended up
  • 5 points if it was two spots away
  • 3 points if your pick is anywhere in the Top 10
  • 1 point for each dark horse that makes it into the Top 10
The scoring is tabulated so that you get the SINGLE HIGHEST point value for each pick- that is, if you get number ten right, you don’t get 13+3, you only get 13.

Changes this year is that I'll drop the international dark horses. They don't really have any effect even though it's fun to see the differences between North America and the rest of the world the differences are usually only in the placement of movies rather than which movies make it to the top10, so the International Dark Horses don't really do anything. (and most participants didn't list any anyway)

Another change this year is that last year it started a "week early" with the release of Avengers: Infinity War. This year I won't give a shit about no Avengers and start at the beginning of May as it is supposed to be. This means Avengers: Endgame is NOT eligible for the summer list, summer starts the weekend after Endgame.

Because let's face it. Endgame is going to make all the money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_in_film#April%E2%80%93June
There's a helpful link. The wager goes from May 3rd to September 2nd.

Personally I haven't dug too deep into these lists yet. But I'll be sure to have one done eventually. But some questions to ponder. How will Detective Pikachu do? Aladdin AND The Lion King remakes in the same summer, which will take the top spot? John Wick 3 and a new Tarantino movie, could either of them break the top10?

Speculate and list away!

EDIT: Also the prize is like a reasonably priced game from steam, epic, uplay, gog or humble or something, we'll figure it out.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Cap's Flawless Ten:
1. The Lion King
2. Detective Pikachu
3. Spider-Man: Far From Home
4. Toy Story 4
5. Aladdin
6. The Secret Life of Pets 2
7. Hobbs and Shaw
8. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
9. Men in Black International
10. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

Dark horses:
Dark Phoenix
New Mutants
The Dead Don't Die

Edit: just changed black to dark
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
1. The Lion King
2. Detective Pikachu
3. John Wick: Chapter 3: Parabellum
4. Spider-Man: Far From Home
5. Rocketman
6. Toy Story 4
7. Aladdin
8. Men in Black International
9. Brightburn
10. Godzilla: King of Monsters

Dark Horses:
Tolkien
Long Shot (occasionally, movies like this one charm me, and the trailers for this definitely has.)
Angry Birds 2

Ehhh…why not! I’ll see what I can do:

Top 10:
#1 - The Lion King
#2 - Aladdin
#3 - Spider-Man: Far From Home
#4 - John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
#5 - Toy Story 4
#6 - Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw
#7 - Dark Phoenix
#8 - Men In Black: International
#9 - Rocketman
#10 - Pokémon: Detective Pikachu

Dark Horses:
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Late Night
Yesterday
Only three dark horses piano.

Also John Wick being that high on your lists piano and Addit is a pretty bold choice. Comparing last year's summer John Wick 3 would have to almost double its box office compared to John Wick 2 to even get into the top 10. (though, to be fair it did double from John Wick to John Wick 2, so if the progression continues like that...)
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

1- Spiderman
2- The Lion king
3- Pokémon
4- Toy Story 4
5- Aladdin
6- X-Men
7- John Wick 3
8- Men In Black
9- Fast and Furious
10- Tolkien

Dark Horses

Godzilla
Dora
Angry Birds 2

Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
John Wick has a good shot this year. Fast and Furious spin-off is the only other big action movie and I guess they aired it on tv enough for people to start liking the franchise.
Trailer views speak in Wick's favour too. 31 millions in comparison to Hobbs and Shaw's 14 ain't too shabby.

Edit: But it won't do better than spidey.
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.

1. The Lion King
2.Spider-Man: Far from Home
3. Detective Pikacu
4. Toy Story 4
5. Aladdin
6. Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw
7. MIB: International
8. Rocketman
9. John Wick 3
10. Godzilla: King of Monsters

Dark Horses:
Tolkien
Angry Birds 2
Dark Phoenix

EDIT: As always, I have no idea what movies are good and stuff so I have guessed on all of these based on what everyone else has said so far. Good luck for me, I guess.
Alright I sat down and formulated a list.

1. Toy Story 4
2. The Lion King
4. Hobbs & Shaw
5. Secret Life of Pets 2
6. Aladdin
7. Godzilla
8. Detective Pikachu
9. Men In Black International
10. Dark Phoenix

Dark Horses:
John Wick 3
Rocketman
Shaft

I feel good about this list. Though it all depends on how hard Aladdin and/or Dark Phoenix bombs. And what that unknown comedy movie that makes all the money is. Cap suggested Stuber might be it. I wonder if Yesterday could do it (though I didn't believe in Yesterday enough to put it in my dark horses over Rocketman...)
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Rachel's List of Listfulness
1) The Lion King
2) Detective Pikachu
3) Spider-Man: Far From Home
4) Toy Story 4
5) The Angry Birds Movie 2
6) Hobbs & Shaw
7) Aladdin
8) Dark Phoenix
9) The New Mutants
10) Godzilla: King of Monsters

Dank Horses
1) MIB: International
2) Dora and the Lost City of Gold
3) Artemis Fowl
Why do some of you guys have Godzilla rated so high on your lists? Am I missing something here??? I thought Godzilla films that have been made in the States have done HORRIBLY in the box office in the past (unless I’m missing something). What make you guys think that this one will do any different?
The last Godzilla (of which this is a sequel) made 200 million and made it to #7 of its summer list.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/seasonal/?chart=&season=Summer&yr=2014&view=releasedate

Sequels often make a little more than a first movie. Though in this case it was already an established franchise so it might make a bit less. I have to admit that I haven't heard that much Godzilla buzz, but there was a new trailer a couple of days ago and it does look crazy.
pianotm
Because there frankly aren't a lot of movies that look like they're going to do anything. Also, I seem to recall that last year, Solo made it to five on this list in spite of the fact that it bombed like a B-29 over Japan. It seems to me that movies don't really need to make their bank in order to get pretty high on the summer movie list.
I mean it's all about how much they cost. Solo was expensive and bombed in the sense it didn't make its money back. But it still made over 200 million in North America.

Looking closer at Godzilla it might also have bombed because it also made 200 million but cost over 150 million. Godzilla 2 has a 200 million budget listed on Wikipedia, so it might also bomb but still make the top 10.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Monster movies have their market. This audience usually pushes them in top 10.
Okay, I got my rankings and projected summer hauls.

1. The Lion King
2. Toy Story 4
4. The Secret Life of Pets 2
5. Aladdin
6. F&F: Hobbs & Shaw
7. Detective Pikachu
8. Yesterday
9. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
10. John Wick 3

Dark Horses
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Dark Phoenix
Dora and the Lost City of Gold (I had to pick this one)

I think that Angry Birds 2 comes out too late to make the list, but otherwise I'd consider it for a Dark Horse. MiB International is going to tank. And I just think that Rocketman isn't as interesting as Yesterday for my music pick. I also considered Shaft... but went with Dora anyway. Brightburn might surprise, too.
pianotm
I checked. Angry Birds 2 is totally viable for this list. I really went to war with that one. On the one hand, I wanted to put it in my main list. On the other hand, I wanted to put it in my Dark Horse list. Ultimately, there's just too many movies I see being more popular. This in spite of the fact that I distinctly remember the first Angry Birds surprising everyone (except you). As for Brightburn, I had to put it in my main list. It's James Gunn and it looks freaking awesome. Horror? Meh...If it interests me, I might like it. Superhero horror? I'm down. Superhero horror directed by James Gunn? Fuck yeah.
Angry Birds 1 only made it to like 12th or 13th place the year it came out though, so I assume it'll stay under the top 10 this time also. Especially considering that stiff animation competition it is facing. Secret Life of Pets 2 and Uglydolls (I assume Uglydolls will do similar to Angry Birds 2)

Angry Birds 1 also came out in May already and had all the time in the world to get its top10 placement.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Also, everyone managed to forget about Angry Birds meanwhile. They don't have the power of pokemon.
author=Shinan
I have to admit that I haven't heard that much Godzilla buzz, but there was a new trailer a couple of days ago and it does look crazy.

Yeah, I actually recently check out the trailer as well for curiosity sake, and, I must say - it looks pretty good! You guys that put it on your lists actually might be on to something here.

Also...speaking of Pokemon, those CGI Pokemon models that they have in Detective Pikachu look so...freaky to me… If I were ten years old again, and I saw something like that on the big screen, I would probably have nightmares for days, Jesus.
Pages: first 123 next last