DECIDING WHICH ENGINE TO USE

Pages: 1
so i was using rpg maker 2003 for some time and upon seeing a nice rpg maker mv game i was doubting myself that rpg maker 2003 simply isn't good enough for my first game (its nothing too big, don't worry)
i was wondering what engine i should use for my first game. any recommendations?
i'd say stick with 2003 and acknowledge the limitations until you complete your first game. People complain about MV non-stop so you'll likely never find the perfect engine, and it doesn't help to keep restarting over and over.
I will say that VX Ace is still a very good engine, but most of the bugs from MV have been ironed out.

That said, if you don't need scripts to achieve what you want out of your current game, keep with 2k3 isntead.

THAT said, if you want to get MV or Ace now, they're currently on sale over at RPG Maker Web... You could just finish your 2k3 game then use them for the next one.

Also, Ace has a trial version that you can try out to see if you like it or not. So does MV, iirc. Try them both and see which you prefer before buying.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
It's probably best to just start with VX Ace. You get a lot of supports, graphics and scripts.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I mean, I've been using Ace practically since it came out. However, I'm more inclined to say to use whichever engine you feel comfortable using. Do not be daunted by other games, and what they do, or what they look like.
As long as whatever engine you're using runs on modern operating systems, I don't really think it matters. Knowing what you're doing is always going to be more important than your choice of engine.

Compare something like Aedemphia (made in RPGmaker 2003) to Androx: Demon of Fire (made in RPGmaker VX Ace).
For your first game, probably doesn't matter.

But I like MV more than VX. Plugins are easier to use than scripts, and the sprite generator is really useful.

If you already started your game in 2003, use 2003. It's a great engine, and I love it. But if you're starting something from scratch, I'd suggest using MV. Cause you'd be practicing for your next projects.
I'm probably a bit biased, as someone who started with 2k3, but I'd say starting with 2k3 would be a good idea, since it doesn't have scripting to contend with and all the features can be accessed through eventing and databasing. I think one of the few things I don't like about 2k3 is the seemingly unsorted event command list, but that can be memorized after a while.

And plus, 2k3 runs waaay faster than MV.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
A thing about 2k3 is that it's not immediately intuitive regarding the creation of custom graphics. XP and onwards are a bit better in that regard in that any png works with them.
And 2k3 :( with win 10 :(
Win 10 not get install it, untill you can put two win one machine...
But that is unlaw?
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
If you have the steam version you can install 2k3 in any pc that is running steam with your account signed in.
Pages: 1