[RM2K3] MAKING NEGATIVE ACCURACY STATUSES AFFECT SKILLS

Pages: 1
I hate having to ask about this, because I feel like I should already know it, but either the help file is lying or it's just not as clear as it's saying it is.

In my game, enemies use a skill as their regular attack. I want statuses (like blind) to affect those skills' accuracy. RM2K3's help file clearly states this is possible...

...But it's not on the skill page.

Is the help file lying or something? I assume no, of course. That would be terrible. Where in the database can I make this happen? States tab? Enemy tab? I'm confused and really hope I'm not delusional or something. I've used RM2K3 for over a decade and didn't know you could do this with skills. :(
I'm going to assume that's a hold over from RM2000 since rm2k3 doesn't even use messages, but rm2k does.
author=Darken
I'm going to assume that's a hold over from RM2000 since rm2k3 doesn't even use messages, but rm2k does.

Crap...

I'm assuming their's no way to implement this other than battle events or common events then? Other than that, the only work around I'd settle for is an enemy's normal attack having it's own unique animation. My biggest complaint with "normal attack" is that they all use the same animation, which is what I'm trying to avoid to make my enemies more unique.

While it's not the same thing you're looking for completely, these options might be of use. The Accuracy rate denotes how accurate your attacks are, but the Unable to use Skill area basically removes access to skills that are above x or y rates. It's... not the same thing, for sure, but you could probably do something with them that diversifies things.

Honestly, skill missing is bullshit, from a player's POV. There's nothing worse than sinking a turn (and MP/SP/WhateverP) into a skill and then having it miss, even if you've been blinded or whatnot. It's incredibly annoying.

If you really must have blind effect your ability to hit with skills, make the enemy blind skill a switch based one. Make a new battle event page. Have it check if that switch is turned on, then have a variable (Blind) randomise. If it hits a certain number, that character is now blind. Inflict them with the normal blind state (keep a count on the turns via a variable in the event as well!) then make a copy of every skill that you want to miss when blinded. Lower their hit rates, and have the character forget all the normal versions and instead learn the Blind versions.

After the counter has turned down for blind to be up (or if an item is used) then restore the proper versions and remove the blind ones. Also don't forget to swap them out of battle unless blind carries over to the next battle in your game.

It's a fair bit more work, but it's possible to do.
One of the cool things you can do in battle is set a condition and have it expire in the same turn. By using this (and what Liberty said above) you can create what you desire. Though it won't be easy.

The first thing you do is create a State. I called it "Blind2".

Then, write a script so that your monster is inflicted with this Blind2 state at random. Something like:

The only challenge is that you somehow need to figure out how to turn on the "Enemy 1 Blind" switch. There are a couple ways to accomplish this. One is to make the ability a switch skill that will blind all enemies. Another is to track MP usage and use that to identify which skill was used, and then use "Enemy is the Target" to identify which enemy was hit with Blind. Really, inflicting the ability is the only difficult part.

My recommendation? Just make "Blind" prevent 100% of physical attacks, and then make it a lot more expensive and rarer with various monsters resistant or immune. That way you can make a normal State and inflict it with skills and not have to perform all of this crazy nonsense. Of course, if the game gave you a way to check for States for enemies this would be easy, but alas, it does not.

Also note that you can do something similar to this to prevent actions in various circumstances. For example, this script makes an enemy skip every other turn.

The "Cancel" State looks like this:
Pages: 1