[MAFIA] THE RESISTANCE: AVALON MAFIA - GAME ON

OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
author=InfectionFiles
author=OzzyTheOne
Also, unless someone is without a shadow of a doubt proven to be town, I will play by the basic rule that psy mentioned earlier, "Trust only yourself."
It's definitely good advice!

Also, I was very confused by the teams at first! I read it as people would be revealed as non-minions of Mordred, not just Mordred. Which why it seemed that going on missions would confirm town easily. Missions also didn't seem to make sense if Mordred wasn't present in the game. Which is still possible?

Right, that is a fair point, I am still going off the assumption that Mordred is present in the game. I am 995 sure though that Mordred is in the game, because due to what Odd and others mentioned about Jeroen being obsesses with balancing his games, I can't see why there would be a way to get a "not Mordred" result if there is not a Mordred. That would make the teams mostly useless and only a high risk thing for scum to use in order to hunt down Merlin.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Rachel has not contacted me about the game, but based on our conversation on Discord this afternoon, I think she wants/needs some distance from rmn, so I've started to look for replacements. I don't want to boot her from the game just yet in case she comes back and does want to continue, but I don't think she will. If she isn't back by the end of day 1 I will replace/modkill her.

Votecount when I get home.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
I meant to say 99% not 995 xD
author=OzzyTheOne
Something else that just itched my brain, I never saw the entire team thing as useless, and I didn't even adequately read the rules at first. So I find it suspicious that some players, mainly psy and IF who were all over the rules for teams, would point out that teams are essentialy useless, sounds to me like they were trying to downplay the importance of quests for town, but I could be wrong and they actually were just confused about the team stuff.

Also, part of the reason why getting a "Not Mordred" result if the quest succeeds is that Merlin will now know one more person that is not Mordred. Merlin will already know the other not Mordred scum, so he/she can then deduce who might be mordred if the result of "not mordred" lands on someone else than someone that he already knows is scum. Like, the entire quest thing has a lot of uses when looked upon from more angles. And if Merlin manages to narrow down the their list of potential mordred, that's only good for town.

Just to add to and elaborate that last point, it not only helps to point out Mordred, it also helps to confirm town. Merlin only sees all Minions, right? Which means any left-over player could either be town or Mordred! So each town that is NOT Mordred is a town for certain to Merlin, which is good. That's a true ally and we can use those.
It's the same as with the Morgana one, you won't know which is which (Merlin or Morgana) unless revealed by missions - there is a suspicion inherent in the ability, and that can be cleared up with that. Well, only for special roles though, and those need to be guarded. How much impact that can have will be interesting to see, but the more I read the clearer it becomes that the entire system is a stronger factor for the special town roles, rather than all townies equal.
Well.. what that means for scum.. Scum has an uncertainty with Oberon, if they are present, as they can't communicate, so they are a bit similar, but that's still a lot less risky for scum, and just makes Oberon's job different.

Shout-out to look out for that. If there's an Oberon they will find it a lot easier to mingle into things and spread confusion. They'll also need to analyze for real, so that need not be fake. Oberon would be a prime suspect for sabotaging missions because of that imho.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Merlin COULD be able to use that to his own benefit, but he certainly can't tell us. I'd imagine it'd be something of a balancing act; using the information you have to scumhunt but not being able to outright say, "This person is scum."
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Update again: I can't reach Rachel on Discord anymore because she's fully left the server. On that note:

AtiyaTheSeeker has been replaced by LockeZ
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Hey, LockeZ! You got a lot to read, dude!
Glad to know that's been resolved and I pray they enjoy their time away. It's good to take a break when needed.

@piano I think the implications of that are clear. What town needs to do. Good luck to all!
Well, that sounded awfully secret-y. Lynching is something we can do though, and I hope we make it work for us.
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
Sorry for my silence, I've beem busy with graduation and stuff for the last few days and tomorrow. Uh, I honestly don't have much to say seeing as it is Day 1 still. Demonlord still gives me a weird feeling for unknown reasons, but... Eh.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure Merlin isn't in this game, but that's based on the fact that suspicions have yet to be formed properly, and that if Merlin knew who a lot of the scum were, then I think there might be a hint in the reads everyone was getting. Oh, but following that logic, if Percival is in the game, and either Merlin or Morgana is in the game, then there's no way for Percival to confirm which one they are. So I think there being one Percival and one of either Merlin or Morgana in the game is balanced. I'm pretty sure that was an issue discussed way earlier, though, and doesn't really help advance the game.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Good to know you found a replacement so fast! Sorry to hear about Ayita.
@Ozzy: My point wasn't that quests were useless, but that the /teams/ were. Smart scum is not going to fail missions, and the confusion generated by people thinking that going on a mission will confirm them as town, etc, is a distraction. Additionally the failure penalty isn't really a penalty -- it's still information, it's just information scum also wants.

While I think that Mordred likely exists, that still doesn't make the reward all that brilliant. Merlin can't deploy their power or they will get immediately nk'd. Merlin is town's achilles heel, not its scumhunter. The play you're talking about with Merlin cornering Mordred could only happen in an endgame where literally every other player had been quest-cleared.
I don't think that's a sound reasoning. It's like saying there can't be scum in the game just because we have no apparent or comprehensive reading of them falling out as such.
(@Odd, got sniped whoops)
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Kylaila
Shout-out to look out for that. If there's an Oberon they will find it a lot easier to mingle into things and spread confusion. They'll also need to analyze for real, so that need not be fake. Oberon would be a prime suspect for sabotaging missions because of that imho.
This is something I've been thinking about! We can't be too set on there having to be a mordred because Oberon could slip under the radar waaay easier without risking too much.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
author=psy_wombats
@Ozzy: My point wasn't that quests were useless, but that the /teams/ were. Smart scum is not going to fail missions, and the confusion generated by people thinking that going on a mission will confirm them as town, etc, is a distraction. Additionally the failure penalty isn't really a penalty -- it's still information, it's just information scum also wants.

While I think that Mordred likely exists, that still doesn't make the reward all that brilliant. Merlin can't deploy their power or they will get immediately nk'd. Merlin is town's achilles heel, not its scumhunter. The play you're talking about with Merlin cornering Mordred could only happen in an endgame where literally every other player had been quest-cleared.

I should've specified that this information is mostly useful to Merlin in an endgame scenario yes. I do agree that knowing all of this won't make it easier for Merlin to help town without outing themselves, but it will help town towards the end of the game.
Welcome lockez! Shame about altiya but hopefully she feels better.

Odd...merlin is confirmed to be in the game. In fact that was the only guaranteed role (why mordred isn't guaranteed is a bit silly to me...because by all rights there should be a mordred in the game).

Also, psy's reasoning is why I'm not too sure of gourd from my list a bit ago.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
author=InfectionFiles
author=Kylaila
This is something I've been thinking about! We can't be too set on there having to be a mordred because Oberon could slip under the radar waaay easier without risking too much.

I agree with this as well, I hadn't given the Oberon role much thought, but it will most certainly mess around and have a somewhat easier time passing as town as other scum.
author=InfectionFiles
author=Kylaila

I find it just a bit suspicious to jump so quickly on it, but not say it before that if you have. But then again, info is displayed for all to see, scum included.
Or rather, I worded that bad, it's good to keep certain thoughts to yourself until you know them better. That's what I meant. I don't know if scum also forgot about that role, but I doubt it.