[RM2K3] HOW TO STOP A BATTLE EVENT FROM EXECUTING ON GAME OVER

Pages: 1
I'll get straight to the point: in my game, characters can equip items called "Glyphs" that activate during battle. When you run into a battle, a common event is called to turn on switches corresponding to what Glyph the character has equipped.

One of the glyphs is called a "Life Glyph" that automatically plays an animation and then revives the character with 10% max HP if their HP hits "0":

That works fine, but this still activates if it's the last (or only) character in the party. I'm still getting a game over (which is what I want to happen in this scenario) but, the battle event above is still activating because the character hit "0" HP regardless. I've tried to circumvent this by turning off the switches needed to activate beforehand if the party is wiped out:

...but it still wasn't working.
Yes, I tried to set Party HP to 0, as well, so thoeretically if the party's HP is at "0" (i.e. everyone's dead) it turns off the glyph switches immediately and stops the reviving event from happening.

To summarize, I don't want the Life Glyph activating if the dead character is the only character in the party or the last one to die.

I'm so close to accomplishing that.

Did I not understand how the "Party HP" battle event condition works? Or is there an easier fix?
Off the top of my head checking party HP sounds like a bad idea unless everyone has the same max HP, and sounds unreliable in general since you're checking if the glyph holder is also dead if at 0.

Simple solution I can devise is to just add +1 to a variable whenever a party member hp hits 0*. If that variable reaches the party size minus 1, then disable the glyph.

*:you could check every party member in the game or devise a way to figure out which party members to check if they're in the party
I tried tweaking it and using variables, but it didn't seem to work still. I've decided to forego the life glyph altogether unless I can find a better workaround for it. Since I'm going commercial with this game, I'd prefer the least amount of RM2K3 oddities and glitches as possible. Thanks for your help though, Darken!
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your issue, but I believe you should just be able to check if all of the other party members have zero HP and, if so, cancel the ability. Something like this:

Have your normal code then follow.

(I notice now that I didn't quite handle it right since I'm lacking logic if the Glyph is not equipped, but you can certainly add that extra Conditional Branch if need be.)
...Yeah I wanted to chime in on this as well,
I heard about this and tried fooling around with this the other night but for some reason couldn't get it to work.

From my experience I've learned that, unfortunately, rpgmaker2003 seems to have a hard limit, where as soon as all party member's HP reaches 0, rpgmaker2003 takes over by default, and immediately initiates the default game over sequence, I don't think there's a way around this.

I think this is just the way rpgmaker2003 was programmed,(similar to how battle animation 0 in the database, needs to be the default enemy attack, or how rpgmaker2003 refuses to run, unless you have 100 inventory items slots available in the database) so any in-battle, custom gameover sequences, you'll need to construct them, preemptively, before the party's HP reaches 0.

However, if you guys can confirm, this does actually work, let me know. I'd like to go back and fix stuff like the gameover sequence to Final Fantasy vs. Dog. I think this solutions needs to be spread around a bit more and become like, the standard for users wanting to create Life3 spells for their games or elaborate in-battle game over sequences for rpgmaker2003.

EDIT: I tried experimenting with this a bit more. It seems like there's a way around this:

Rpgmaker2003's death condition by default is set to Restriction: Cannot Move

This is why rpgmaker2003 battles immediately end once all party members HP reach 0. A possible work around is to edit/copypaste a new Death Condition over the old one in rpgmaker2003, where it's set to Restriction: None so the battle won't immediately end once the party's HP reaches 0.

In exchange for this workaround however, you'll need to create your own custom in-battle gameover sequence that will initiate once the party's HP reaches 0. If I have more time, I'll look into this a bit tmore. But it seems like by editing the Death Condition to Restriction: None, you'll be able to create Party HP(0) that would run a condition check on the Life Gylph before ending the battle.

EDIT2: Scratch that, yeah I think this is too much work for what's intended.
Pages: 1