TALK ABOUT RM GAMES! MID-YEAR MISAO DISCUSSION TOPIC

Pages: first prev 123 next last
I think it's fine since a big part of the community makes commercial games anyway. I've been pushing for an isolated category for it. Obviously it doesn't really contribute to this years Misaos but it's enough to have discussions about relevant games on the site that you are playing.
I havent played anything this year and with work I have been super busy and a bit out of the loop. Can anyone recommend me and 1 - 2 hour quirky releases from this year I can sink my teeth into and contribute by reviewing?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
El Arte and Abyssal of the Opera fit the bill IMO.

Unfinished Stories was pretty great, but really uneven- great art direction, unexciting battle, and OH GOD THE JUMPING MECHANIC WHYYYYYY. I think it may end up clocking on the longer side, as well, particularly if you have trouble with the mechanics.

ETA:
Also for anyone who wants to promote games, commercial or otherwise, I strongly recommend commenting, subscribing, and reviewing- all those make a game more likely to get seen! (ESPECIALLY reviewing!)
author=Sooz
El Arteand Abyssal of the Opera fit the bill IMO.

Unfinished Stories was pretty great, but really uneven- great art direction, unexciting battle, and OH GOD THE JUMPING MECHANIC WHYYYYYY. I think it may end up clocking on the longer side, as well, particularly if you have trouble with the mechanics.

Ill check these 2 out, they looked pretty interesting. Cheers!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=visitorsfromdreams
Can anyone recommend me and 1 - 2 hour quirky releases from this year I can sink my teeth into and contribute by reviewing?

I dunno about "quirky", but, Baclyae Revolution might be about that length? Well, I can do it in less than two hours, but, I'm the dev. I imagine a player that doesn't know the game as well as I do probably needs to take a bit longer. Maybe three hours? Sorry, I have no basis of information on this point. ;_;

*Edit: Don't mind me. I'm just finding myself in this position to maybe want to promote my own stuff this year. I suppose I should have promoted A Half-n-Half Affair more last year.
author=Marrend
author=visitorsfromdreams
Can anyone recommend me and 1 - 2 hour quirky releases from this year I can sink my teeth into and contribute by reviewing?
I dunno about "quirky", but, Baclyae Revolution might be about that length? Well, I can do it in less than two hours, but, I'm the dev. I imagine a player that doesn't know the game as well as I do probably needs to take a bit longer. Maybe three hours? Sorry, I have no basis of information on this point. ;_;

Downloaded and added to my games to play this year spreadsheet. :)
I wanted to chime in here quickly. We seem to have a decent list of games this year.

Theia, Villnoire (really like the first boss battle in this one!) and Country of Snow surprised me.

There's more I wanna mention, but yeah, it's really cool that we got a good handful of games this year.
Man... This thread is reminding me that I have so many games to catch up on!

Thinking about starting a playthrough series with commentary after I finish my game.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=dethmetal
Man... This thread is reminding me that I have so many games to catch up on!

Thinking about starting a playthrough series with commentary after I finish my game.

I support such endeavors!
author=bulmabriefs144
Games That Are Awesome But Need To Finish:

I wasn't even named here and I already feel called out. XD

I'll get back to Mayhem Maiden and finish it eventually, I swear! Yes, I know it's been over 5 years since I started!
Year Progress:
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░ 65%

A reminder
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I have this list of 2019 releases. I think it lacks weird and unfortunate, which is my most promising demo candidate, but it still should include most major candidates.

https://rpgmaker.net/users/Cap_H/playlists/85941/
author=Frogge
A Figment of Discord

Another game that feels like it's being overlooked.
- "Eye Candy" Award
- Excellence in Narrative
- The kentona Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
- Best Non-English Game

Ah, A Figment of Discord. We can't write the whoole review here, even because it's out of theme, but if you are curious you can take a look.

We put the same link in the official rpgmaker.net page of the game.

http://luditarantulaarchives.altervista.org/a-figment-of-discord-rewiew/

For the english version, it will be fixed soon, but there shouldn't be very big errors. Enjoy! :)
author=TomorrowAvenger
author=Frogge
A Figment of Discord

- "Eye Candy" Award
- Best Non-English Game
Ah, A Figment of Discord. We can't write the whoole review here, even because it's out of theme, but if you are curious you can take a look.

For the english version, it will be fixed soon, but there shouldn't be very big errors. Enjoy! :)

Unrelated, but that was the most entertaining review I've read in a while. Good job!
author=CrawlingChaox
author=TomorrowAvenger
author=Frogge
A Figment of Discord

- "Eye Candy" Award
- Best Non-English Game

Unrelated, but that was the most entertaining review I've read in a while. Good job!

Many thanks, Crawling! :D
It's really satisfacting to see that it's appreciated. Really, this made us smile!

...This is unrelated too, sorry!
Inherited Sins was the last game I've played. Been a while since an RM Game got me like this one. Had a lot of fun with it.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one what fails to play games. It makes me feel less awful about it. In all seriousness, as long as other people are playing those games, even if they're not the people who actually take the time to post here (which is like what, 25 people? charitably?), it's all good. It's when I come across a game someone's obviously put a lot of effort into that's been ignored or virtually ignored*, that's a feelbad, like deadly woods and burden. I wish I had time to uplift these forgotten gams but sheeeeeeeeeit guys, I barely have time to work on my own stuff.

I like me some Villnoire. Dunno about this Theia thing, but in the heavyweight JRPG category I'm pulling for Villnoire against it. LWG is a hometown hero, definitely in his corner versus the Italian stallion.

Steamed Hams is...I mean I get that it's clever, and funny, and technically impressive, but it's also like...just a meme game? It's not the kind of thing I personally think we should be giving Misaos too (unless they are very, very specific Misaos lol).

Weird and Unfortunate Things are happening is probably the first game on this site that I know of I'd play for fun if I could find the time. That's gotta count for something.

Thanks Frogge for bringing Deadly Woods & Burden to my attention. Those do indeed look like they were flying well underneath the radar. I don't know how to feel about Burden's art style. I feel some kinda way about it, maybe even strongly, but I don't know which way! I think I gotta see it in motion to decide. Not sure I'll actually find the time to do that.

I am a big Twin Peaks fan...currently rewatching The Return for the second or third time?...but Deadly Premonition was pretty clearly a great big Twin Peaks ripoff (that I guess about 50% of reviewers thought was dogshit on a stick and 50% thought was the second coming of Jeebus, I just goobled it now and it actually got in like the Guiness book of world records for most critically polarizing videogame?) so Deadly Woods citing Deadly Premonition and Twin Peaks as influences makes it seem like some kind of ouroboros of unoriginality eating its own tail. Wait, Ouroboros isn't a word but "Borobodur" is? Go home spellcheck, you're drunk.

* I may have made several of these :P.

dethmetal apropos of absolutely nothing your avatar is the greatest and best thing i've seen in a while.
Sooz
author=StormCrow
Steamed Hams is...I mean I get that it's clever, and funny, and technically impressive, but it's also like...just a meme game? It's not the kind of thing I personally think we should be giving Misaos too (unless they are very, very specific Misaos lol).

I see this sort of sentiment every year and... they're a popularity contest, guys. We're voting Homecoming Queen, not some juried exhibit. It'd be way cool to HAVE a juried award, but I sure as hell am not going to organize that! So unless anyone wants to step up and arrange that, we just need to make our peace with the fact that the Misaos are not, and never were, judged on merit.

I am a big Twin Peaks fan...currently rewatching The Return for the second or third time?...but Deadly Premonition was pretty clearly a great big Twin Peaks ripoff (that I guess about 50% of reviewers thought was dogshit on a stick and 50% thought was the second coming of Jeebus, I just goobled it now and it actually got in like the Guiness book of world records for most critically polarizing videogame?) so Deadly Woods citing Deadly Premonition and Twin Peaks as influences makes it seem like some kind of ouroboros of unoriginality eating its own tail. Wait, Ouroboros isn't a word but "Borobodur" is? Go home spellcheck, you're drunk.

Deadly Premonition isn't unoriginal so much as it was a Twin Peaks AU fanfic with the serial numbers filed off and then the creator decided to just go balls to the wall with everything. The original setting is evident, but it's very much its own thing.

Just gotta stand up for one of the coolest games ever.
Pages: first prev 123 next last