HI GUYS!

Pages: 1
Hello to all,

I've visited this site before in the past and downloaded some games to play. Good times! There's a lot of great talent and entertainment here. Which inspired me to join this site, because I'd like to try my hand at making a game. I have a lot of ideas. Problem is, I'm not entirely sure where to start. I've read a lot of different opinions on what program to start with. Right now, I'm getting the vibe to start with RPG maker 2003.

I'd like to make a something in the realm of a classic JRPG, with a plot and cutscenes. So can you guys give me some advice? Thanks. :)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Welcome to RMN! Share your creativity with us!

With the "classic" tag in there, I would tend to suggest Hero's Realm. I'm also inclined to suggest Luxaren Allure and Weird and Unfortunate Things Are Happening because they are just that good in my opinion.

Form my own stock, I'll go ahead and suggest Baclyae Revolution. Doubly so if you're into Suikoden, or games like it. A Half-n-Half Affair was able to secure some nominations for "Punniest Game Alive" last year, even if it didn't win anything.
Hi and welcome!
Well, you may have come across it here, most likely - but the most important piece of advice I can distill is to just do it. "The fastest way to make a game is to start making it" (that was the greatest introduction line from the "Dutch for Dummies" book hahaha, well, paraphrased) : D and all that. 2k3 is cool.
Don't know where to start? Make some maps and figure out some things to put on them. Maybe start with the characters and database first. Maybe try to plot out the story and scenes before making maps for them. Messy or not, you can go from there! There's so many pieces to an RPG, it's hard to know how to do it if you haven't tried anything before, you'll eventually find a rhythm and style and suits you. What's wrong with bumbling around? Try something and see if it works for you, fix it if it doesn't. Also: SCOPE. Try small, make it smaller. We are familiar with huge JRPGs, doesn't mean we need to start with those.

You can always expand later if you want, just know finishing something small is WAY better than not finishing something bigger. It's the biggest lesson I have learned being on this site - be proud of having made something. Ideas? Plans? Unfinished drafts? Nobody cares about those until you make them a reality. They need not be great, they need not even be good! Having made something alone is worth something. You'll respect yourself and be respected if you can bring it to the finish line.

Not sure if that helps, but here's cheering for you!

Also, in terms of beginner's RPGs that were really good, I can recommend A Gang of Weirdos. That's how a first RPG can look like.
Thanks for the responses guys. I will look into those games and try them out.

I have some ideas for games and would love to make something I can share with other people and contribute to this community. My dream is that one day I will be able to produce a game that others will find enjoyable.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Hello and welcome to RMN! :D
Pages: 1