POINTLESS POKEMON GLORY

Pages: 1

This has to be the greatest/most pointless take down of Whitney I ever did. After all, who brings a baby puff ball to take on a massive cow?
I never got to play Gold and Silver but I heard of how hard this boss was but I dont know I get the feeling that I probably wouldnt have any issue with this boss. Because back when I got to finally play the real FF3 on NES I breezed through that RPG. Than years later I heard people talk about how brutal FF3 is. So when I hear about this Whiney girl being this super imposing challenge I just think to myself "eh is she really or are people just not that good at the game?"

Having said all that I can ofcourse look back at FF3 and see that certain things should have been done to make it more manageable. For example, inventing save points but they only came up with that in FF4. And some bosses should have been toned down.
Whitney's difficult really depends on what kind of team your running to be honest. In my various mono runs I've found Whitney to either be a pain in the @$$ or a minor annoyance. So how you approach this battle is key.

The reason why I call this video pointless glory is because I took down her entire team with a Level 17 Igglybuff. And managed to do this without using items despite Whitney's Miltank being level 20. As it stands my victory here is a combination of skill and the goddesses of RNG being in my favor. After all, there a lot of things that could of gone wrong in this battle.
author=RedMask
I never got to play Gold and Silver but I heard of how hard this boss was but I dont know I get the feeling that I probably wouldnt have any issue with this boss. Because back when I got to finally play the real FF3 on NES I breezed through that RPG. Than years later I heard people talk about how brutal FF3 is. So when I hear about this Whiney girl being this super imposing challenge I just think to myself "eh is she really or are people just not that good at the basketball legends game?"

Having said all that I can ofcourse look back at FF3 and see that certain things should have been done to make it more manageable. For example, inventing save points but they only came up with that in FF4. And some bosses should have been toned down.

Haha. I think so!
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
The reason people complain about Whitney is because everyone expects to beat the game picking the fire starter and not training any other pokémon for some reason, and rollout is a pain to deal with that way. Whitney really is not a big deal if you pick a different starter or train more than one pokémon.
Honestly, I don't think Chikorita or Totodile would offer you that much of an edge here. In fact, your best option is probably to trade an Abra or Drowzee for a Machop in the Goldenrod Department Store.
They don't. I picked Chikorita. I also levelled up other pokemon because I like to be fair to my team. She rolled all but my last pokemon. I barely managed to make it through that fight alive, but I did, second time around.

She's not hard, it's just annoying if the RNG gods aren't with you.
To be fair, you can overcome moves like roll out by lowering Miltank's accuracy. After all, roll out only becomes more powerful if it hits multiple times in a row. Sort of like how fury cutter gets more powerful with each consecutive hit.

Another option would be to put Miltank to sleep with a move like Sleep Powder since this would also disrupt the move and reset it. In fact, you could probably take down Whitney's entire team with a Butterfree wielding Confusion, Harden, Sleep Powder, and your choice for a final move rather easily.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I guess it's probably mostly that younger players tend to not like status moves, and spamming attack doesn't work as well on Miltank unless you're a bit overlevelled.
Yeah, when your younger you can't appreciate moves that inflict status effects and debuffs on the enemy as much as you can when you get older. In fact, when you get older you begin to realize just how useful a move like sand attack or harden can be. Especially if you spend a lot of time doing mono runs.

Jeez, I still remember building a gimmicky Butterfree in order to take down Giovanni's entire team in either LeafGreen or FireRed as part of a mono run challenge.
Whitney is also tough because Miltank is also a fairly strong Pokemon to face at the point of the game you're at.

I think it's a boss mainly setup to teach you how important your team composition really is, not just type wise, but also with things like Gender (attract can really wreck teams that aren't prepared either)
author=thesacredlobo
Yeah, when your younger you can't appreciate moves that inflict status effects and debuffs on the enemy as much as you can when you get older. In fact, when you get older you begin to realize just how useful a move like sand attack or harden can be. Especially if you spend a lot of time doing mono runs.

(...)

This. I sure see it playing Pokemon again after forever. (tho I tend to favor buffs, here's hoping I get some good debuff moves soon. those sure are useful for the stronger trainer pokemon)
Pages: 1