[RM2K3]

Pages: 1
Hey all,
I've read that you can modify the text icons (aka glyph) in 2k3 through the resource hacker program. (I'm using the unofficial 2k3.)

I have several questions about that:

-is it safe to use such program?
-is it possible to use it on a patched .exe?
-is it compatible with a project using DynRPG plugins?

I don't want to mess my decade old project lol...

Thanks!
author=Boulon
Hey all,
I've read that you can modify the text icons (aka glyph) in 2k3 through the resource hacker program. (I'm using the unofficial 2k3.)

I have several questions about that:

I don't want to mess my decade old project lol...

Thanks!

Hi Boulon! ♥

I have not tried creating custom glyph's yet. But I know Phantom Legacy uses them.
But for now I can safely answer your question with:

Yes
Not sure
Yes

I'll have to dig up the old tutorial that Ocean did a few years ago. But I'm sure someone else will confirm this, but Gylphs are already enabled in rpgmaker2003. What you're simply doing with reshacker is swapping out the bitmap icon sheet in RPG_RT.exe for your own.
You can also change your rpgmaker games, PC icon as well, using this method, which is what I use it for.
However, make sure to triple back up your original, unaltered RPG_RT.EXE file.
In case something goes wrong down the road.
Thanks for your quick answer!
Ok, I need to double check that and no worries I always do backups.

What haunts me is if I use it and everything seems fine for a while then I discover a strange bug like 1 year later and don't know it's related to this glyph hack. :s

Anyway, if you know more on the matter later, you can update me. Maybe I'll wait to be sure. Thanks again!
The glyph patching should only affect the glyph file which is a png (or bmp), iirc, and thus shouldn't affect the actual project at all. All it does is allow you to change a graphical file to show different glyphs to the default ones - not a big dealio as long as you keep with the structure of that file.
I'm using an unofficial .exe patched numerous times with DynRPG plugins and custom glyphs have never given me any issue. reshacker is perfectly safe to use so long as you stick to replacing the glyphs- it's a powerful tool, so it's likely you could break something if you really search for a way to do so.

I've used it for years without any issue, though, and replaced the glyphs on multiple projects.
One important thing I realized today after updating my glyphs yet again: make sure your glyph file is 256-colour (8-bit). reshacker doesn't care what the bit depth is and will replace it happily with a 32-bit .bmp, but you won't even be able to start the project if it's not an 8-bit image.

You likely would have figured this out, but it's still scary when rpg_rt immediately crashes upon launching. =)
Thank you for the update!

I didn't even try yet so this is useful. I'M asking questions way before actually doing stuff most of the time. :P

(and sorry for late answer, I just came back from long vacations)
Pages: 1