FROGGE REVIEWS SOME ALBUMS BC WHY NOT

Pages: 1
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
I like reviewing things so I'm gonna review albums I listen to over time, starting from january 1st of 2019, in the order I've listened to them

keep in mind not all of them released this year, I just listened to them this year

also if you think you get my music taste and have any suggestions i'm more than happy to hear, and feel free to review albums in the thread or w/e

Papa Roach - Who Do You Trust? (7.5/10)
Genre: Rock, Pop Rock
Favorite Songs: Not the Only One, The Ending, Better Than Life
Songs I Didn't Like: Renegade Music, Who Do You Trust?, Top of the World, I Suffer Well

I first discovered the band through Not the Only One which they released as a single before this album in 2018. Then I listened to two other albums of theirs and fell in love, so I was pretty hyped for this. Overall it was a very satisfying album that had a few songs I didn't like, but all in all the good songs far outweighed the bad.

Set It Off - Midnight (8/10)
Genre: Rock, Pop Rock, Alternative Rock
Favorite Songs: Midnight Thoughts, Killer in the Mirror, Dancing with the Devil, For You Forever, Criminal Minds, No Disrespect
Songs I Didn't Like: Unopened Windows

This is a band I pretty much loved before this album so this was probably my most hyped album of 2019 in 2018. I would say most singles they released before the album were the best songs in it, which is a bit unfortunate, but I was still really satisfied, to the point where this might be my favorite album of theirs so far.

The Score - Pressure EP (8/10)
Genre: Rock, Alternative
Favorite Songs: Dreamin, The Fear
Songs I Didn't Like: N/A

Another band I already loved beforehand, one of my favorites of all time, in fact, and I was really hoping this would be a full album and not an EP when they started releasing singles for it, but I'll take what I can get it. It's pretty great none the less, and Dreamin is literally a 10/10 song.

Bring Me the Horizon - amo (9.5/10)
Genre: Rock, Pop Rock, Metal
Favorite Songs: in the dark, why you gotta kick me when i'm down?, heavy metal, i don't know what to say
Songs I Didn't Like: fresh bruises, i apologise if you feel something

I had listened to Sempiternal, another album by this band, back in 2018, and I really wasn't a fan. Not because it was a bad album, I just thought it was a bit too metal for my taste. I'm glad I gave this one a chance anyway, because it's probably the best album I've listened to this year, and one of the best album's I've ever listened to overall. The good songs are REALLY good and there's two songs I don't like but it wasn't enough to bring the album down for me.

Bring Me the Horizon - That's the Spirit (9/10)
Genre: Rock, Metal
Favorite Songs: Doomed, Avalanche, True Friends

I listened to this right after amo because I decided to give the band another chance. Turns out this was the only other album of theirs I liked. I don't quite love it as much as amo, and where the worst good songs in amo only dipped to like a 7.5/10 this one does go as far down as 6/10 with Drown. Still a great album none the less.

Slaves - Beautiful Death (8/10)
Genre: Rock, Hard Rock
Favorite Songs: I'd Rather See Your Star Explode, Petty Trappin
Songs I Didn't Like: The Pact

This is an album that's just consistently really good with all songs except The Pact. I do like two of the above songs more than others but pretty much every other song in this album is an 8/10.

Slaves - Routine Breathing (6.5/10)
Favorite Songs: N/A
Songs I Didn't Like: Who Saves the Savior, One God

And where the last album was consistently in an 8/10 range, the best songs from this album are a 7/10.
There's a few songs with really good hooks, like Why Fit In When You Can Stand Out, but it's usually used in the intro and bridge and not the chorus, which really damages the song. It's not a bad album but also when it comes on when I'm on shuffle I skip almost every song from it.

I Prevail - TRAUMA (8.5/10)
Genre: Rock, Hard Rock, Pop Rock, Metal
Favorite Songs: Low, Dead on Arrival, Hurricane, Deadweight, I Don't Belong Here
Songs I Didn't Like: Gasoline, Bow Down

When I listened to the singles before this album released, I wasn't that big of a fan, but I was still hoping the final result might at least be a decent 7/10. I was wrong. I was completely blown away by some of the songs immediately, like Low, which I instantly gave a 10/10 from the first listen, and a few others that grew on me over time, like I Don't Belong Here which I didn't like at first but then rose all the way to 9/10 after I listened to it a few more times. Deadweight might be the first ever song where most of the vocals are screaming that I actually loved. In fact, Eric might be the first screamer who I think genuinely made songs better rather than worse, and obviously the first I loved. This album was a real surprise hit and I'm so happy with it.

I Prevail - Lifelines (8/10)
Genre: Rock, Hard Rock, Metal
Favorite Songs: Lifelines, Rise

I'd say this album is more consistently good than TRAUMA with most songs around the 8/10 range like in Beautiful Death, but it also doesn't have as many absolutely amazing songs. Rise is a good 9/10 and Lifelines is another 10/10 but TRAUMA had multiple 9/10 songs so all in all I think that's my personal preference, but this one's an amazing album none the less aswell.

NF - Perception (6.5/10*)
*VERY BIASED BC I DONT LIKE RAP/HIP HOP
Genre: Hip Hop, Rap, Alternative
Favorite Songs: 10 Feet Down, Lie, Let You Down, If You Want Love, Remember This, 3AM
Songs I Didn't Like: All other songs

I really don't like hip hop and rap, it's probably my least favorite music genre. But I had listened to Lie from this album and loved it so I figured I'd give the rest of it a chance. I'm glad I did, because while I did not enjoy most of it because it's traditional hip hop and rap, I still found a couple great songs that might serve as a gateway for me into the genre in the future. It's not my cup of tea, but if it's yours, you might enjoy it a lot!

Shinedown - ATTENTION ATTENTION (8.5/10)
Genre: Rock, Hard Rock, Pop Rock
Favorite Songs: DARKSIDE, EVOLVE, DEVIL, KILL YOUR CONSCIENCE, PYRO
Songs I Didn't Like: CREATURES, BRILLIANT

Shinedown is special for me because it's a breath of fresh air, and it doesn't feel like any of the other bands I've listened to, but it also perfectly fits my taste in music. I discovered this album when looking for hard rock albums and I was super pleased with it. Except for the two songs I didn't like, I think every song in this album is REALLY good, the lowest score being a 7/10, but most being 8/10 or above.

Escape the Fate - I Am Human (7/10)
Genre: Rock, Hard Rock, Pop Rock
Favorite Songs: Four Letter Word, Broken Heart
Songs I Didn't Like: If Only, Empire, Let Me Be

I found this album at the same time as Shinedown's ATTENTION ATTENTION and I think which one I liked better is pretty obvious. All things considered the best songs in this album are about 8/10 or 8.5/10, and most others are 7/10, but not a bad album by any means.

Deaf Havana - Old Souls (6.5/10)
Genre: Rock, Pop, Alternative
Favorite Songs: Kings Road Ghost, Subterranean Bullshit Blues, Everybody's Dancing and I Want to Die
Songs I Didn't Like: 22

I love this band's newest album, Rituals, so, so much. It's literally my go-to album when I feel emotional. Of course, I tried most other albums by the band after I fell in love with Rituals, but sadly I don't think most of them measured up. I had previously only listened to one or two songs from this album in 2018, but after giving the entire album a chance this year, I kinda liked it. A lot of the songs grew on me, even though a good bunch are in a 6/10 range, but my favorite songs from this album I absolutely love. Kings Road Ghost is another easy 10/10. Not the most amazing album, but it's not too bad for another emotional album. Rituals will always be my obvious choice, but I'm happy with this too.

Nothing More - The Stories We Tell Ourselves (8.5/10)
Favorite Songs: All of them (except...)
Songs I Didn't Like: Just Say When

This is another perfectly consistent album with pretty much all songs but one in the 8/10-9/10 range. I wasn't a huge fan when I first listened, but it grew on me. Like, a lot. No really, a LOT. I was thinking a 6 or 6.5 at first but then I really started to love every song and now it's easily among my favorite albums of all time.

Shinedown - Threat to Survival (8/10)
Favorite Songs: State of My Head, Dangerous, Asking for It
Songs I Didn't Like: Misfits

Another consistently really good album. I think my favorites are really good, most above 9/10, and the rest is in the 7/10-8/10 range. Also, a couple songs from this album strangely remind me of other bands. State of My Head makes me think of The Score, Thick as Thieves makes me think of Imagine Dragons and Oblivion makes me think of Welshly Arms, so if you end up liking those respective songs, maybe check out the bands I mentioned.

Walking on Cars - Colours (7.5/10)
Genre: Alternative, Pop
Favorite Songs: Coldest Water, Two Straight Lines, Too Emotional

After The Stories We Tell Ourselves, I hadn't listened to a new album for like a good month because I had a lot of songs that satisfied me more than enough. Then I got kinda emotional and started to listen to Deaf Havana's rituals again and went searching for more albums like this which landed me on this. All in all, a consistently good album with songs in the 7/10-8/10 range. Still, I went back to listening Rituals instead. Maybe one day I'll find an album that's gonna surpass that for me in terms of emotion in the music, but this wasn't it.

You Me at Six - VI (7.5/10)
Genre: Rock, Pop Rock, Alternative Rock
Favorite Songs: 3AM, Fast Forward, Miracle in the Mourning, Straight to My Head

I am so absolutely in love with all the favorites I mentioned. Unfortunately I think the rest of the album lingers around the 7/10 area for me. Still, those four songs enough make me so happy.

Dance Gavin Dance - Artificial Selection (7/10) I'm increasing it to (8.5/10)
Favorite Songs: Suspended In This Disaster, Care, Flash
Songs I Didn't Like: Shelf Life

Tilian's voice is mindblowingly good. Also the only band besides I Prevail where I really didn't mind the screaming! I think this band has a really unique identity to them, as well as this entire album. There's a couple songs I don't like, but a whole lot of the others grew on me over time, jumping from a 6/10 to an 8/10, like Slouch or Hair Song. Maybe my opinion on those songs I didn't like will change over time, I don't know They did. I think if you're looking to get into the band, I would recommend listening to Care as that was the song that I loved from the first listen.

X Ambassadors - ORION (6/10)
Favorite Songs: QUICKSAND
Songs I Didn't Like: RULE, BOOM, HISTORY, WASTELAND, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PRAY

X Ambassadors has always been a band that I listen to for like two weeks but then get tired of and this album's really no exception. It's fairly decent alternative/pop but not really anything special for me.

X Ambassadors - Love Songs, Drug Songs (6.5/10)
Favorite Songs: Love Songs Drug Songs

Okay ditto on this EP but damn the song that shares the album name is really good.

Dance Gavin Dance - Mothership (8.5/10)
Favorite Songs: Chucky vs The Giant Tortoise, Frozen One, Inspire the Liars, Chocolate Jackalope
Songs I Didn't Like: Flossie Dickey Bounce, Petting Zoo Justice

Goddamn this band grew on me. It takes me a while to get used to some of their songs (god knows it took me one whole month to start liking Inspire the Liars but I hella love it now) but they're easily one of the best bands I have ever listened to and just with these two albums alone they deserve a spot on my top 10. (And also they've gotten me more cool with metal screaming/growling etc and as you will see later I've found quite a few bands with screaming that I really like)

Noah Kahan - Busyhead (5/10)
Genre: Pop, Acoustic
Favorite Songs: False Confidence, Cynic, Tidal, Mess
Songs I Didn't Like: Everything else

You can probably tell that this one is also a quite biased review because I don't like acoustic songs (but False Confidence is one of the best songs I've listened to ever)

Nothing More - Nothing More (7.5/10)
Favorite Songs: Christ Copyright, This is Time (Ballast)
Songs I Didn't Like: Pyre (only because i can't be bother to listen to a 9 minute long song)

While I don't think their self titled album quite measures up to their most recent album, this one's still filled with terrific rock ballasts and I really love the band's sound.

Eidola - To Speak, To Listen (6/10)
Favorite Songs: Primitive Economics, The Abstract of a Planet in Resolve, The Familiar
Songs I Didn't Like: Transcenditum (both parts)

Eidola has one of the best vocalists I have ever seen and some seriously good instrumentals but dang is some of the music on here just really really tame despite the fact that it's hard rock. Still, the three songs I really like from this album I REALLY like from this album.

Crown the Empire - Sudden Sky (8/10)
Favorite Songs: All of them except
Songs I Didn't Like: (X)

This one came across my youtube dash the day it released and boy am I goddamn glad it did because this is a hella good album. And I know the cover looks like K-Pop. It's not. It's amazing.

PVRIS - White Noise (7/10)
Genre: Rock, Alternative Rock
Favorite Songs: Let Them In, Smoke, My House
Songs I Didn't Like: You and I, Empty

You may or may not have noticed that I don't listen to a lot of bands that have female vocalists but the song Ghosts from this album came across my feed on youtube and the instrumental immediately hooked me in so I decided to give the rest of the album a go too, and I was not disappointed.

Crown the Empire - Retrograde (7/10)
Favorite Songs: Hologram, Zero, Kaleidoscope, Signs of Life
Songs I Didn't Like: Sk-68, Lucky Us

While I don't think it's quite as consistently great as Sudden Sky, Retrograde still has some really good songs, though some vastly better than others. Hologram is easily in a tie for my favorite song from the band with Blurry.

Dance Gavin Dance - Instant Gratification (7/10)
Favorite Songs: Something New, On the Run, Awkward
Songs I Didn't Like: Shark Dad

There's some great parts in each song across Instant Gratification but I feel like most of them either aren't very strong in the verses or the chorus. I expected this one to grow on me over time too, but I was surprised to find the songs in this one really did feel kind of lower in quality in comparison to the other two albums I've listened to.

The Score - Stay (7/10)
Genre: Rock, Alternative
Favorite Songs: The Hunger, In my Bones, Rush

I was kind of let down by this album because The Score is one of my favorite bands and they've definitely done much better music in the past. This one suffers from being fairly repetitive and all too samey to their previous EP. Some of the songs in here also feel really average, especially Can't Stop Me Now. I still don't dislike any of the songs but I think they can really do a lot better. Still a worthwhile EP though. Maybe just should've been combined with Pressure to be a full album but oh well.

Deaf Havana - Fools and Worthless Liars (8.5/10)
Genre: Rock, Alternative Rock
Favorite Songs: All of them except Hunstanton Pier, The Past Six Years and Fifty Four
Songs I Didn't Like: The Past Six Years

Wow I am an absolute bufoon. I actually judged this album by its cover and figured I wouldn't like it that much but boy is this their most consistently great album yet. Rituals is still my favorite album by Deaf Havana, but after the very disappointing Old Souls this album was such a pleasant surprise.

Currently Listening:
I don't like to review unless I've listened to the album for at least a week so expect me to review these pretty soon.

The Faim - State of Mind
Issues - Headspace
Issues - Black Diamonds
Blessthefall - Hard Feelings
Issues - Beautiful Oblivion
Frogge
gonna reserve this post just in case
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!
I had to google search what an album is. I'm the wrong person to ask about music.

Is this a post to tell you to review a certain Album???
So many to choose... Go with something from my childhood, something new, or something just strange.

Fallen by Evanescence

Probably best known for this song:

Or maybe...

Hotel California by the Eagles
(though you should just get an all in one collection of all their songs, does that count as an album?)

Probably best known for...

Frogge
Bring Me To Life is one of my favorite songs ever I approve 100%

Unfortunately I tried the rest of Evanescence's stuff and I wasn't a big fan

Same for The Eagles, though I only consider Hotel California to be an okay song too. The lyrics are pretty great though.

A general trend is that I also don't enjoy most albums that came out before 2015 generally. I usually listen to a band's newest albums and only go back if I really like it.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Next mission = Google searching "What music came out after 2015?"
Pages: 1