AI DESIGN

Pages: 1
Recently, I noticed MinST appeared among the highly rated games on RMN front page. So played it. And to my surprise, I could predict the AI next moves although I didn't play it for more than a year.

Do you find the AI predictable?
If so, how could one make AI less predicable?
Well the most obvious way is to make everything random as possible which probably isn't fun. The better more refined way that leads to something engaging is probably using a lot of heuristics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yydYjQ1GLg but ain't no one got time for that. The cheap "on a budget way" is to probably just design scenarios you think the player will react to and just have the ai do curve balls at those instances instead of trying to make everything dynamic as possible. The "artificial" in AI should probably be really emphasized here in any discussion on game AI...
Don't have a master AI. Personalize it to the battles, and even to the units if you can.

Speaking from personal experience, Sim RPG Maker 95 has four AI patterns, and that's it.
Rush - Charge the player units
Wait - Attack when they're in range of your movement+attack
None - Stand still
Specific (x,y) - Move to a location of the map

This is obviously a limited toolbox, but I got creative by using switches and variables to shuffle enemies around. If the party passes X location, move a nearby group of 6-10 around to flank them. That sort of thing. It required a certain amount of OCD to plan everything in advance, but did eventually get to the point where I'd forget that I'd programmed enemies to do a certain thing and then wound up with dead units. Getting my ass kicked by my own game...

If the player sees Knights and comes to expect that Knights always charge, then your AI has become predictable. However, if they charge in Chapter 1, but circle the map and flank in Chapter 2, then the player will always be wary of Knights going forward.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
What's wrong with it being predictable? Recognizing an enemy's attack patterns and then using that pattern-recognition to avoid the enemy's attacks is, like, the original foundation of video game encounter design.

Now, if it stays very samey for the whole game, then obviously that's lame. Add more variety to your danged battles. Nobody wants to fight Guts Man at the end of nine stages in a row, or for every regular enemy to be a darknut.
Thanks a lot for the ideas you suggested.

Interesting video: It's always good to learn what the industry comes up with. From a practical point of view, I don't have the programming skills required to design an AI that can learn from the player.

In MinST, most maps give more troops to the AI to raise the challenge. But it suffers from the "Master AI issue": all units run the same section of code and thus move toward the nearest target and deal as much damage as possible. I assume the player will quickly recognize this pattern and work around it (or be submerged because the AI controls too many units). The only variation is terrain configuration and a few stationary units in the last map where the player attacks a fortified town.

I like the idea of assigning different behavior depending on the battle to be played. The player would need to adapt his strategy to both the terrain and the movement of the enemies.

What AI patterns do you think would be useful to add to the Rush-Wait-Stand-MoveTo list?
A very interesting topic that I have been looking at, I think this is one of the most important pieces of information for me. And I am glad to read your article. Thanks for sharing! *NO THANKS FOR THIS RETRACTED SPAM-LINK THOUGH*
a score system is a good way to do things.
check each actions reaction and give a score accordingly and the one with the highest score wins or gets higher odds in a random roll. so for instance casting fire on a player that has fire resistant armor will do little to no damage so it gets a low score, casting ice on the other hand might do more damage so gets a much higher score. other actions like cure or life on allies can have extra score added to them depending on priority so for instance if he is in critical hp the cure spell could then be given high priority by giving it a massive bonus to its score so he will most likely choose the cure action in the random roll.
Pages: 1