SPLITTING ITEMS INTO STACKS?

Pages: 1
So there is an inventory feature that I am wondering if I should add to my project, that seems like a very basic feature: splitting stackable items into stacks. Like, if I had a potion with 100 count in it, the feature would allow me to make 2 stacks, let's say 50 each out of that 100.

So concerning this topic, what are some of the use cases for it? I've played RPGs before and they did have this feature, but I don't remember ever having to use it, so I am wondering if it is even worth adding in. Will it be missed if it's not there?
the only time I have ever seen and used this feature is when party members hold there own inventory and use there own items so you may wish to split up item stacks and give them to another character
Hye, thanks for the input! Yeah that makes sense. My game does not have party members, but characters do hold their own inventory. Currently I do not have a way to share items yet, unless I make a shared stash which I am still undecided on.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
...why are you considering a feature that you can't think of a use for
@Lockez

My inventory system is similar to what you would see in Diablo II. You can have multiple stacks of the same item. Usually for this type of system, there is a feature to split items in stacks... But like I said I barely use this feature it and was wondering if it was worth putting it in. Normally when I'm playing a game with this system, if something hits 100 stacks, I store it somewhere (like in a stash) or just sell the whole thing. I think what grindalf said was helpful, if I had multiple characters, I could split items up and share them between characters or party members, but I don't have a stash system yet, let alone a shared stash. Stash system is planned, but at the moment not shared stash. How useful would stack splitting be if I did not have a shared stash?

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you don't have any reason to put some items in one place and some items in another place, then you don't need to be able to split a stack of items. Seems straightforward.

Only having one possible place where items can be would be a very obvious example of a case where there'd be no reason for the player to put them in different places. Having two places, an inventory and a stash, only matters if there's some meaningful difference between the two, like... losing your inventory but not your stash when you die, I guess? I assume that's what you're using the stash for if it's not shared. If you do that then, uh, you do need to give the player the option to only take some of their healing potions with them, I guess, so they don't lose them all if they die. You don't really need to be able to split crafting items if all of your crafting happens in town five feet away from the stash box...

I feel like you can figure out on your own whether or not you have added a reason for the player to want to put their stuff in two different places. I don't think that's something you can do on accident without realizing it. Just make sure the player can sell part of a stack of items
Hey thanks for the input, that makes sense. The stash I was planning was more like an inventory expansion so you don't have to carry around items/equipment you don't need, and also a way to organize items. I guess with what I'm doing at the moment, if I add a shared stash, I'll add in stack splitting, and if not, I can just ignore it. Thanks again!
LockeZ
You say "so you don't have to carry around items/equipment you don't need" but how in the world is having instant access to all your items from anywhere a burden? That's something you "get to" do, not something you "have to" do.
Having access to all your items is not a burden, having no space to pick up new items is. In games like diablo 2, grim dawn, I always store stuff I don't need before going into a dungeon to loot.
Multiple stacks are useful if you want to restrict the player's inventory, this is usually done to stop the player from hording healing/mana potions and being invincible. Games that have this feature usually implement a banking system to store excess equipment, which the player can keep excess items for later use. It can also be useful for crafting. Limiting the player to say 10 of a specific craftable material per stack forces the player to manage his inventory better when foraging for crafting materials.
Pages: 1