[MAFIA] PRISONER'S DILEMMA. GAME OVER

CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
for the purposes of gathering 2 more players, i am dropping my entire life savings, 20 dollars, into this game. that's right. real money, for no reason. win up to 20 entire dollars, but probably more likely, you win a fraction of that. Unless I come up with a better idea it will probably just be split amongst the living winners unless i can come up with a better idea in the 30 years it's going to take for two more people to sign up.

This is a mafia game for 13 players based on everyone's favorite game theory problem, the prisoner's dilemma. After 13 people have signed up, 10 will be randomly assigned town and 3 will be assigned scum. Scum will not, at this point, know who their scumbuddies are yet. All players will then be individually given a choice via PM: whether to take a vanilla or non-vanilla role. Choosing vanilla means you will be conferred no special abilities or traits, positive or negative. Choosing non-vanilla means that your abilities will be determined by how many people on your same team chose non-vanilla. The less people on your team that choose non-vanilla, the more powerful the non-vanilla roles will be. Many choices of non-vanilla will lead to weak or even negative roles. After everyone has chosen, roles will be distributed and the game will begin.

A warning and example: If every single member of the town were to choose non-vanilla, I would make all 10 of them hated (1 less vote required to lynch them.)

If I don't get 13 people I'm going to flame liberty and turn the game into something else. it might involve anime.

The vanilla town PM will look like this:

You are vanilla town. You have no special abilities beyond your ability to vote. You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

Hated town PM

You are hated. You take one less vote to lynch than normal. You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

i stole these rules

Before the game begins, each player is sent a PM assigning him or her a role. The contents of the PM cannot be shared with other players. All roles are assigned randomly. There are three basic types of roles that you can get: Town, Mafia and Independent.

Town
If you are part of the Town, then your objective as a group is to stay alive and try to find out who the Mafia are. Since you cannot communicate with other players outside of this thread, you must work together and weed out who is lying and who is not. Townies who die still win when the rest of the town wins.

Mafia
The Mafia (aka Scum) on the other hand, have a significant advantage over the Town. They can communicate with other scum members outside the thread during night phase. During the night, they can come together, discuss, and kill a townie. If all goes according to their plan (which it might not), then that townie will be dead -thus cannot post or vote- for the rest of the game.

If all Mafia are killed, then The Town Wins!
If enough Town-aligned people are killed that the amount of Mafia is greater than or equal to the amount of Town-aligned people, The Mafia Wins!
If an Independent successfully survives and satisfies their win condition, they Win!

Game Structure:
The game starts out in something called a day phase. In this phase, all players who are not dead may participate in discussion as well as vote for who gets lynched (note that you can also vote for no one getting lynched). The day phase will continue until a set deadline has passed or when deciding vote is reached.
Once the day phase is finished, the night phase begins. No one may talk in the thread during this phase, meaning that only players with night actions play a significant role. Night actions are abilities possessed by special roles that can be used to alter the game during the night phase. All night actions, including the scum's kill, will be sent to me via PM(unless otherwise stated). Once the night phase deadline is reached or when all actions are sent in, I will PM everyone involved with their results and then a new day phase will begin. If anyone dies, then that person will be revealed.

Rinse and repeat until the game is over...

The Rules:
1. VOTING: Voting should look like this:
#Lynch Jeroen_Sol or #NoLynch
And if you wish to change your vote, first cancel your first vote like this:
#Cancel
It needs to be bold and with a # in front of it, to make it easier for me to make vote counts.

2. PARTICIPATE: It's not very fun when half of the players are always missing in action and only have a few posts. Try to post a few times during each day phase and contribute to the discussion in some way. This is also very important for the town's survival. If you don't participate, you are at high risk of being modkilled or replaced.

3. DON'T CHEAT: Although it'd be difficult for me to find out, just don't do it anyway. You'd be ruining the fun of the game. And if I DO find out...

4. IF YOU ARE DEAD, STAY DEAD: This game does not involve zombies. If you die, then don't post anymore. This of course doesn't apply if your role specifically allows you to speak while dead.

5. EDIT RULE: NEVER EVER EDIT POSTS.

6. DO NOT QUOTE PMs: Never quote from a PM I send you. Creating false PMs is also forbidden. You may paraphrase information from PMs, but never literally quote them.

7. ANTI-STALLING RULES:
- 1: If nobody dies two day and night phases in a row due to any faction withholding kills, the game ends in favour of whichever faction(s) did not withhold their kill in those two day and night phases, or was the last to do so if all factions did.
- 2: If a nolynch happens at MYLO ("Mislynch-and-Lose"; non-scum = scum + 2), scum must attempt to kill the following night phase.

1. oddrabbit
2. psy_wombats Scum-aligned rolecop executed day 1.
3. PlatinumAshes
4. ivory?? town-aligned bulletproof/masonwas killed Night 5
5. demonlord town-aligned vanilla executed day 4
6. pianotm town-aligned vanillaexecuted day 2
7. AlaskanEmily town-aligned vanilla executed day 3
8. Ozzy
9. tale
10.kittenfood town-aligned jack of all tradeskilled night 3
11. Shinan town-aligned vanilla killed night 2
12. Liberty scum-aligned vanilla goon killed night 1
13. Fomar town-aligned vanilla town-aligned miller, executed day 5.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Let's do this.

Activity will be lower from July 29th onwards, but I can make it work playing, just not hosting.

It's time for the ambidex game!
I'm signing up but feel free to flame liberty anyway
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I really like the idea of this game, but I do wonder how well the idea of personal vs. global profit holds up in a setting where you win or lose as a team. There isn't much of an incentive to have a power role while your teammate is vanilla over the other way around. So maybe people will actually be likely to choose vanilla rather than the logical outcome of the problem, which should be everyone picking non-vanilla.
PlatinumAshes
I am now certain that you are not scum and are just town trying to play scum as hard as possible.
I'm in it to win it bois.

Everybody stand down so I can be the only non-vanilla and Cave makes me Merlin.

#Challenge Jeroen_Sol
PlatinumAshes
I am now certain that you are not scum and are just town trying to play scum as hard as possible.
@Geronimo Yeah but scum can also pick non-vanilla right?

So if all of town and all of scum picks non-vanilla, we all have crappy roles, but that makes us even, no?

That beats scum walking away with three BUSTED roles while us townies weep like the filthy vanilla plebeians that we are.
PlatinumAshes
Ah, or perhaps town's roles get worse as more townies pick power roles.
And separately, scum's roles get worse as more of them pick power roles.

So they have their own meters.

You don't know who are on your side so you can't guess if your teammates are picking vanilla or power role.

FYI I have decided to roll a die with 1/3 odds of not being vanilla.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
author=PlatinumAshes
Ah, or perhaps town's roles get worse as more townies pick power roles.
And separately, scum's roles get worse as more of them pick power roles.

So they have their own meters.

You don't know who are on your side so you can't guess if your teammates are picking vanilla or power role.

this is the correct interpretation of the rules as they have been laid out
Jeroen_Sol
I think I've figured out why this isn't the prisoner's dilemma. Choosing non-vanilla over vanilla doesn't always lead to a personal benefit/loss. If your whole team chooses non-vanilla, then choosing vanilla is the superior option over choosing non-vanilla, leading to both better personal and global profit. However, if your whole team doesn't, then choosing non-vanilla is the superior option over choosing vanilla, again leading to both higher personal and global profit. Neither of the two options always leads to higher personal profit at the cost of global profit.

It's an interesting game theory problem, but not the prisoner's dilemma.
Don't flame me. I'm in
PlatinumAshes
author=Liberty
Don't flame me. I'm in

Long time no see.
Alright I'm in. It's an interesting setup for sure.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
In like Flynn.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
author=Jeroen_Sol
I think I've figured out why this isn't the prisoner's dilemma. Choosing non-vanilla over vanilla doesn't always lead to a personal benefit/loss. If your whole team chooses non-vanilla, then choosing vanilla is the superior option over choosing non-vanilla, leading to both better personal and global profit. However, if your whole team doesn't, then choosing non-vanilla is the superior option over choosing vanilla, again leading to both higher personal and global profit. Neither of the two options always leads to higher personal profit at the cost of global profit.

It's an interesting game theory problem, but not the prisoner's dilemma.

if I don't get six more people the game is going to be jeroen is scum mafia
Jeroen_Sol
Well, according to you I'm already scum irl, so that's basically every game.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Sign me up chief! This looks like some shenanigans that are right up my alleyway!
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Regardless of what alignment I get, I will go for non-vanilla in the hopes of hopefully getting the most stupidly unbalanced role that I will hopefully then be able to use in the most effective way possible.

Or I will just get lynched because I will say that cop is scum again :V
I'll participate though it's my first time, if not possible I could be a replacement.