IS A QUEST SYSTEM A GOOD IDEA FOR AN RPG MAKER GAME?

Pages: 1
I've been thinking of doing this, basically random NPCs in the world offer you various quests, finding a lost item, killing some enemy or enemies, collecting some items. RPGs of this type usually have sidequests, optional stuff that you can do for a special weapon or type of gear. But the whole quest thing is more something that came with 3D RPGs.

Would it work in a classic 2D RPG? Or would it get boring fast?
Depends on how it's implemented :V

But really what is it for? Is it the main bread and butter to get resources or is there a main quest line you're better off doing that'll reward you enough to continue along anyway? Do they add any kind of story, are they infinitely generated or finitely tailor made? A lot of 2D RPGs have side quests actually but tend not to have a quest tracker. Though the existence of one usually means side quests becomes more part of the game.

Having stuff to do is good, but whether or not it is boring is dependent on so many factors and the personalities of your players. Some people might only play RPGs because they want to fill large checklists, some might just want a tightly made story without filler. Do you personally like doing fetch quests in RPGs? Some games are fun to play repetitively if the core is good (like Harvest Moon-likes) but standard RPGs can have a tough time getting mileage out of their core and often rely on set-pieces and such.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
2D vs 3D has nothing to do with gameplay in that sense, so there's no reason you COULDN'T do a quest-based game.
Yeah that's what I'm worried about too. That I want to have it simply for the sake of having it, and not because it really adds engaging content. It's not too difficult to come up with a few fun quests, but to make this work you'd need a ton. And then the boring fetch quests come into play. Also the rewards are a difficult issue. If a player does none of the quests, do they have enough money / items to get through the story? If not, it becomes almost mandatory to do that, I don't think that's a good thing. But if you don't need the rewards, why bother even doing them when many of them are fetch quests?
I would also want to hear others' opinions on this. Here is my take on it. I feel like the rewards for quests be something for impact in order for it to be worth doing, otherwise, I would just ignore the quest. Side quests that tie to the main plot but don't derail it are also nice. At the moment, I'm also experimenting with a few ways to do side quests too, for example:

I have a guild job board set up. It has quests ranked by difficulty, that give a reward of gold, guild exp (for ranking up to take harder quests with higher rewards), and guild points (a form of currency). There is a guild shop that I set up that has a pool of powerful items that can only be purchased with guild points. This way, doing side quests has such as killing, collecting, bounty hunting hero monsters, etc, has some kinda meaning and impact, as you can get unique and powerful items if you keep at it. The job board quests get reset after a certain amount of time, so they are re-doable.

Another thing is chain quests. Long side quests where it's multiple tasks that need to be completed, and can stretch over many different regions of the game, but the reward on the end is good. Kinda like trying to get the Knights of the Round summon in Final Fantasy VII.

Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
As a player, I feel the most rewarded by quests that give me some extra story or characterization, in addition to the item rewards. (In fact, I usually don't care much about the items.)

If you're worried about power creep from quest items, you could always have quest rewards be something that's an interesting lateral move, or just gives players access to the next tier of equipment from where they are.
Sometimes it's just fun to aim for something and take a break from the story for a little while in order to get a cool reward.

Personally I like to make quests that give a bit more information about the world or have some kind of character information and interaction. Say, a woodcutter gets lost and you find him injured, so have to collect some special plants to heal him up. On the way you might have to go up a tall cliff and find out one of your characters has a fear of heights. You then get a sweet new axe when you return.

Later in the game perhaps that character who is scared of heights is the only one who can help with a situation where they have to go across some high gaps. If you did that sidequest back at the start, maybe they reference it and it gives you an easier time in doing a balancing puzzle since they got a little over their fear during that quest. If not, the puzzle is a bit harder and they don't reference it.

Or maybe you just grind up enough of a monster's drops for x, y or z reason. As long as there's a reason to have the quest - a reward, information, interaction, etc - then they're not worthless.

Honestly, there are people out there that will just do sidequests even if they're 'collect 10 beast hides to get a special item' because, well, loot. And a break from the quest. And for the sake of completion. I know because I'm one of those people. XD
Typical solution to power creep is usually a level scaling system (enemies are always the same level as your average party member), but a lot of people dislike it usually. Not really so much during it but in hindsight realizing all their grinding doesn't contribute to something. But I think the fact that it's so invisible is what bothers people.

It'd be cool if doing a side quest actually triggered a cutscene that showed the next boss lifting weights or something as if to show you not saving the world contributing to the problem even further. Show in-game reasons as to why the game is getting harder as you gain rewards maybe. In the end though I think people like being overpowered in exchange for spending extra time.

Also everyone loves costume cosmetics and non-gameplay collectibles. I particularly enjoyed the moogle stamps in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles even though I don't think they do anything until you collect them all if I recall, Ni no Kuni has something simular.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Let me talk about Myriad Cypher, because I'd call it a "quest-based game", and is very much a 2D game. I don't know if it's the kind of idea the OP is pondering about, though.

At any rate, it's very heavily based on Wing Commander - Privateer, and as such, it's a space-trading open-world sandbox. There is a story to be had, but, players are free (encouraged, perhaps) to ignore it. The main gameplay loop is really in the randomly generated missions. Like, I guess the best way to explain it is that it's about planning what thing (could be a ship, a part, or what-have-you) you want to get next, and what's the most effective way to get it without getting blown up by pirates, or whatever. Maybe players might push their luck on this front. Sometimes it pans out. Sometimes it doesn't.

Players can only have one story-mission and one non-story mission active at one time. The specifics of active/accepted missions can be looked up in some way, shape, or form. I'm pretty sure it's on the Nav-map? Specifics of missions that you've already done are entirely irrelevant. However, it's a stat the game keeps track of, and uses as a factor in determining difficulty level.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I mean, the idea of sidequests is nothing new. FF5, FF6, Chrono Trigger, and DW4 each have more than a dozen of them.

What newer games invented was a standardized system of tracking them. Where you know exactly when you start one and when you end one, and you can look in a list to see which quests you're currently on and what the next objective is.

I don't think this system has anything to do with 3D. Mostly I think it has to do with how much we've learned about players' attention spans. But in addition to that, it also has to do with the fact that modern games have a lot more dialogue and story. In old games, it could be assumed that nearly every single bit of dialogue in the game was part of a gameplay hint or sidequest. That's no longer the case, now that games are more story-driven, and so the game needs to clearly tell the player which parts of the dialogue are gameplay-related and which ones aren't. Exclamation points over important NPCs' heads and quest logs that list the important parts of what they told you are an easy way to accomplish this.

If your game's dialogue is modeled after SNES games, where people say what's necessary to get to the next dungeon and not much else, and townspeople mostly just exist to give the player minor clues or to tell you what town you're in, I don't think it needs this kind of system. If it's modeled after PS1 games, where there are lots of long cut scenes that serve only to develop characters and explain the backstory, and many townspeople exist purely to flesh out the world, I think a quest tracker would be really helpful (even though quest trackers didn't become common until the late PS2 era). The amount of dialogue in a game like FF7 or Suikoden is vastly larger than that in a game like Chrono Trigger that came out only a couple years earlier, and so investigating every line of dialogue that every PC and NPC says is an outrageous task for most players.
watermark
Got me my shiny new MZ
With quests the main issue is balance. Even big studio games get this wrong sometimes because it’s hard to predict how many the player will do.

I usually get overpowered half to three quarters of the way through an open world rpg because I am one of those “do every single quest” guys. Understandably, the studio probably designed it so the difficulty’s just right for those who do only half the side quests.

So if you have a quests system, how much to give in exp, gold, and items will become a priority.
It also depends on the plot. If you do a plot-driven plot with high stakes, e.g. you are a high ranked general leading an army in a war, random fetch quests aren't going to fit the narrative. However, if your party is a group of adventurers, side quests make sense. On the other hand, you can spin the concept around to fit your storyline; for example, you are playing as a police officer who deals with complaints and requests on a regular basis.

Some of the rather outdated types of quests these days are pure 'fetch then get rewards' types that don't do anything to the plot. Having them isn't bad, but it helps if you can write beyond pure fetch quests. If sidequests are incorporated well enough into the story, they'll give you opportunities to do the world-building and give the main characters interactions or even minor character development outside the main story.
Pages: 1