[GM] HAVE YOU EVER WANTED TO SWITCH FROM RPG MAKER TO GAMEMAKER?

Pages: 1
-You may have spent years with RM and want a change.
-Maybe even a new dev looking for a new engine.
-To anybody that has struggled with the limits of RM for non-RPG/RPG-lite games.

I offer my experience in making the switch over to GM, using the Drag n' Drop interface. I can explain how the engine works, in a way that relates to how things work in RM. Something I wish I had. I ended up reading nearly the entire help file with lots of trial and error afterwards.

If you just want someone to show you the ropes, that's fine too.

The Drag n' Drop (DnD) makes it function just like RM event code. With full access to all the more complicated GML code snippets. You drag a block, type in some code, and nest it with the rest of your DnD code blocks. It's like using the Run Script in RM, but slightly more customized.

Here is something I made recently in about 2 hours:

https://youtu.be/A-mDV6n_9ec

It's really surprising how easy it is once you can relate commands to how it was done in RM. With that basic knowledge you can create complex things with little code. Just don't come in expecting easy RPGs. That's way hard.

Ultimately I only want to help others. Feel free to take the knowledge and run. No quid pro quo here. But if anybody would also like to collaborate on a GM game, that would be great. Something small and action-y. A beat-em-up maybe? or platformer.

Feel free to message me here, then move to something like Discord. You can download the free version of Gamemaker Studio 2 to follow along.

However, while the Trial Licence gives you a nearly fully-functional version of GameMaker Studio 2 to use, it does have the following limitations:

The Trial Licence is only valid for 30 days from when you activate your YoYo Account.
The Trial Licence does not permit you to create final executables, nor does it permit you to test using the higher-performance YoYo Compiler ("YYC"). *you can still test the normal performance way*
You must be on the current public version of GMS2 in order to use your licence.
You cannot create a Marketplace Publisher account and sell your own assets, but you can use the Marketplace to obtain paid/free assets sold by others.

Other than those restrictions, the Trial Licence grants you full access to GameMaker Studio 2, with no limits on resource usage within your projects.

If you decide to buy is like 30$/year, 100$/life (USD). More expensive than most RM's but you are getting way more functionality. I bought a 1 year license. If after 1 year you decide to extend, it's 33% off. They just recently came out with a new version with bug fixes, quality of life improvements, and actual new code blocks in DnD.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I have thought about Unity, but not Game Maker.
I have also considered Unity before.
I think there are a lot of people who thought of it, but may be turned off by the fact that there might be coding involved. With GameMaker, you can make simple games using Drag and Drop, and if you can code, you can make very complex games. GameMaker Language (GML) is actually very easy to learn.

Regarding RPG games on GameMaker: I assume most people on RMN want to make RPGs. If you are trying to make a RPG in ANY OTHER engine other than RPGMaker, then yeah it is probably going to be complex. There are a ton of systems that tie together. With Gamemaker, making an RPG with DnD is gonna kill ya, however, making it using code is entirely possible and not too bad. But even if you know what you're doing, it can take a while just to make an RPG engine you can use depending on complexity.

In the end though, if you don't try it, you will never know if it is right for you. Things are always a lot easier to learn when you have someone holding your hand through it.
I made an attempt at Unity but it's just too complex for a casual game maker. All my experience with other engines didn't help at all. It's all code, whereas even if you use GML entirely there are aspects that are not code. Like assigning an action to a key press, or making something happen on create/destroy.

author=PhantasmaX
Regarding RPG games on GameMaker: I assume most people on RMN want to make RPGs. If you are trying to make a RPG in ANY OTHER engine other than RPGMaker, then yeah it is probably going to be complex. There are a ton of systems that tie together.
Yeah, but not all RPGs are complex. There are a lot of people making simple, cute games with RPG elements. But the core gameplay is like, interacting with NPCs and battle isn't complex. That's what I meant by RPG-lite.

Puzzle games, visual novel type games. The newer RMs have scripts and systems that let people easily make platformers and action games. Which they spend lots of time working with.

With Gamemaker, making an RPG with DnD is gonna kill ya, however, making it using code is entirely possible and not too bad. But even if you know what you're doing, it can take a while just to make an RPG engine you can use depending on complexity.
I don't see any real difference in making an RPG with DnD or GML. Since the way you create an event and assign code to it is the same for both methods. Plus you can make a DnD project, and fill it with 95% code just as easily.

What makes it harder is that simple things like inventory management don't exist and the way to organize and display that requires understanding of new concepts like arrays.
well technically there's:
keyboard_check(ord('Z'))

for pressing keys especially if you want to swap them to controller buttons or other keys later on. I guess a better example is the step/create event or placing in objects in the scene with parented code attached to them. Btw if you have GMS2 I'd also look into variable definitions as they're a pretty good component for level editing or giving instances adjustable properties.

I feel like if you're switching to a different engine only to pick up another middle programming method you might as well upgrade straight to GML since it's ridiculously intuitive (at some point you're not even typing code just letting it autocomplete commands for you or hitting hotkeys). But again the problem isn't the efficiency/ease of use, it's the familiarity and comfort that comes with rpgmaker. There's a huge starter payoff to having an FF/DQ template at your fingertips before you even place an event that's hard to ignore. You have to abandon that and make stuff from scratch when you make the switch even with DnD.
Yeah, there's several ways of using each type. You can put a DnD block in the step event and run stuff like keyboard_check(ord('Z')) just as easy.

There are plenty of reasons to stick with RM. This is probably more appealing to people that already decided they want to try GM. I'm just framing it all within my experience with RM, 2k3 mostly. Which is; using RM because it's familiar, trying others and it not catching on in a meaningful way, then trying GM. Suddenly with the same knowledge and skills that worked in RM, it now works 20 times better in GM.

But yeah, for sure, GML is superior. However if you are used to individual commands that you can modify with mouse/keyboard(sometimes I feel like doing this), or if you really have a hard time grasping code because of how your brain works - then GM DnD is perfect.

Also, it's just a stepping stone into the engine. Especially if you understand the event structure/order of RM. It helps you understand where to put things in a familiar setting.

All feedback is welcome. Each person can read the pros and cons before deciding to try it. To avoid wasting time. Although really this may only take an hour of your time. What is there to lose by learning it? If you're like me, you will be happy you tried it. RM seems unappealing now. Even for an RPG. But for most it's better used as a short action game engine.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I actually betaed GameMaker Studio 2. It's a good engine, but at the time, when beta ended, I couldn't afford what at the time was a much more expensive license than what is offered now. I've since gone to Unity and found it has everything I want anyway. Besides. I never recommend "switching" engines. Adding to the list of engines you use, definitely, but never switching. Even though I'm a Unity dev, now, I don't foresee a time when I ever won't use RPG Maker.

I've basically come to see GameMaker as a sort of discount Unity.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I was thinking about it but I never made the step because of all the unfinished rm projects and the limited time I used to spend on gammak.
Actually, I never was a huge jrpg nerd and I always preferred other 2d genres. My dream was to make a decent microvania.
I've wanted to try Game Maker, but the program seems way to complex for my liking, hence why I went with the strange younger cousin, Pixel Game Maker instead, I'm having an easier time with that than I did with Game Maker.
Constantly, I only use RPGM because its relatively easy, if I had the time to learn Game Maker I would totally jump to it and be making games with real time combat.
Pages: 1