[WRITING PROMPT CHALLENGE] ~DAY BY DAY~

Pages: first prev 123 last
Here's as good a place as any! : D Aww, you sound so happy. You deserve it.

author=Isrieri
Physical! That's a really polite way to put it, I like that a lot. Yeah when writing gets more ephemeral I feel like a total doofus while writing.

Yup, definitely physical, and I think that preference is just a neutral one. It shows what you look out for more, yknow, which layer of the thing. (I see you fleshing out whole cities and I can't be bothered to describe an entire room - that's that difference right there)

The prompts that leaned toward that end like one and nine were me semi-panicking trying to write anything at all. I didn't know what the prompt was going to be until I opened the spoiler tag, so each prompt required at least a little stream-of-conscious mentality. In that sense, because of the time-limit, I actually didn't think too hard about what I was writing, but now and then I got a pretty good idea from the prompt and was able to develop it into something.

Interesting! That makes sense though, panicked or not, a free flow is easier to make in a short period of time. I agree it is really nice to have an idea come up with something, and that's a reason to feel blessed.

That's probably where I struggle the most. My prose is seriously dry and matter-of-fact. I'm trying to work at getting better making interesting descriptions and fleshing out the surroundings of a scene. How much should you describe, and how much should you leave to the reader's imagination? There's a balance to be had there. The other problem I have is boilerplate - I've got a bad habit of using filler words.

Hmm. Well, I can definitely see how that is a tricky balance to strike. I know various fantasy novels suffer from a chronic overload of detailed descriptions, even if one can argue that's part of the charm of them.
I do think you are really good at capturing a scene, though, and creating an almost tactical physical sense for the thing is a great asset. 11 Probably did that best (only I would've actually liked more on what they did with the rope and how they escaped). Description is just a mode of writing that doesn't feel too great if it's all of the text. It is probably why 6 (and 10) shine the most tho, it felt like you did the vital parts and then let em be. 8 is heavily detailed, but I think it works quite well too. It's probably also why I imagine other prompts would work well incorporated into a larger work.

It's quite obvious, but I'll just say it anyway, not focusing or not being good at ephemeral weird emotionally explosive writing is fine. There's entire styles out there that actually rely on focusing on that absence, and make it work. It's true your writing is on the dry side, but I don't think that needs to be a detriment. First thing coming to mind is this one from Ernest Hemingway who writes very minimalistically. Drama writing does the same. I think that might be fun to look at for the 'baseline of description' things. Makes me curious if you like reading styles similar to yours, or rather opposites, hmm.
You know all this though, and you obviously are looking at your own stuff critically. So, ya fine, basicically.

As for prompt work, that makes sense.
I really don't know if that time limit works.. it made me laugh out loud at first, tbh hahaha. I didn't take any notes for the vast majority of the prompts here, with the exception being the seashell one, and I didn't finish it, nor do I have an ending, or anything else. I just draw a blank. I know the mood and direction but I can't really go from there much.
I feel my style doesn't help it, and while maybe it could, I think devoting more time to it might actually help more. It's not just that I do not "finish" out an idea, or world, or scene. It's that I have very little interest in doing so. Characters I want to bring to life? Nah. Worlds I want to create anew? Nah. At the core of my writing are small experiences, lines and moods that I wish to capture more than anything else. (I also enjoy writing to explore myself). And overcoming that, or working around with it, that's not something that a quick brainstorm can solve. Or can it? Who knows. Definitely willing to give it a shot though. I think the idea of brainstorming might actually really help. I do like taking a pile of words and making a coherent thing out of it.

Honestly, it always amazes me that there are people who have this ardent desire to recreate a world somewhere, or have characters who stick around, rather than be a spontaneous overflow.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
author=Isrieri
Atiya
Another big haul! Whoa these are long!
First-person can be tricky, but it can also be very freeing, as you don't have to worry quite so much about proper form or making a vivid presentation so-to-speak. With first-person its all about reflecting a character's thoughts, and the more interesting the character the more gripping the read. That's true in all writing but first-person stories live or die by the characters they follow.

Don't think of this as a criticism of your own writing, as you only reminded me of this point: If there's any background stuff, like outside lore or an on-going story we begin in be-twixt of, don't forget to give readers some breathing-room. Having a moment of familiarity and simplicity in fantastic settings does wonders. The story's first sentence is the reader's first sentence. These being write-a-day prompts, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Far more important to get the words on paper and practice!

I'm curious about something. Would a fox like leather jackets? Or Grease? Leather's typically made from tanned animal hides. I guess this leather is synthetic.

Other note: Why did we ever stop calling wife-beaters 'tank-tops?' That's profiling y'know. (I kid)

I hope you continue writing with us as these prompts continue! These are a pleasure to read.

Favorites ~ Group of Friends, Summer Highs,
Favorite Quote ~
"Silas", my voice spoke out softly, just between us. "I don't know if you can hear me, but I want to believe you could. I guess your lucky star has grown dim, and I wish I could've shared the light from mine. If it meant you'd be around today, I know I would have".

Sorry it took so long to get to this! Thank you for giving my stuff a read. I'm thinking it better to stick to third-person POV as I usually do, but was interesting to experiment with it. For background stuff I didn't think of it as a good idea for short prompts as "Show, Don't Tell" is a powerful literary lesson and I felt it extended to these vignettes too. Just these little clips of my characters' made-up lives that fit the prompts.

As for Dana? Yeah, you do have a point about her interests. She is from a post-apocalyptic setting and was raised by people who had access to such but like. Even if it humanizes her, I *do* distinctly like the idea of non-humans having, well, non-human traits that mesh and/or clash with their sapience. An instance of this can be seen in "Group of Friends", where it's implied that Raziya and the Sweet Citrus's owner come from a culture built around felines being nocturnal.

I'm not sure when I'll get to these prompts as I am a busy bee (and depression is resurging, wasting a lot of time in bed) as of late. But I would totally love to do more. And I am honored that Dana's hushed wishes toward Silas was a good quote! Had a lot of fun with the ones that didn't elicit a Content Warning, and it seems you agree. ;)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I kinda dropped this because my writing attention/focus has shifted elsewhere. However, for what it's worth, I appreciate the feedback, Isrieri!
way too many words

man, i do not have time for this,. it's a shame. i wish there were more hours in the day
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Eff, I'm in the mood to pick these back up between my novelette and super secret project. Am glad I kept tabs on prompts I wanted to attempt, and rereading them was a joy.
Pages: first prev 123 last