WHAT ANNOYS YOU IN A GAME?

harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Neophyte link=topic=2479.msg52307#msg52307 date=1230134703
No way dude, you can't be serious.

So you wouldn't mind playing some RM game that is 100% completely the same as FF6, but instead of tonic, potion, and tent, they have bubble gum, can of red bull, and cardboard box. Noted!

Function > form. Renaming stuff is not impressive. Actual innovation is.

Brandon: So like, should we just cover all game females in drab robes that cover everything but their eyes and show no body shape? :P Battle of the nuns.

I also hate it when video games do not let me quit playing when I want to. There is sometimes no ability to quick save at any time. This is especially a problem in handheld games. I can put my handheld to sleep, but I can not be 100% guaranteed that it will still have my progress when I wake it up. Losing an hour's worth of progress just once or twice can make someone never want to play again.

author=harmonic link=topic=2479.msg52340#msg52340 date=1230142742
Brandon: So like, should we just cover all game females in drab robes that cover everything but their eyes and show no body shape? :P Battle of the nuns.

If I recall, Agrias was basically a nun. Also when is the last time you have seen a real woman with an ass that huge. Seriously it is gross. She has a waist-hip ratio of like 0.33. It is 100% ghetto sex culture. I don't understand how you are arguing that illustration is showing a natural body shape. It is exactly the same as massive DDD breasts.

Also no I am not arguing that. I am arguing that over-sexualization of women in video games is wrong and it is gross. I can give a project the benefit of the doubt if both men and women in the game are sexualized and fashionable, but I can't do the same thing when women are portrayed as victims and trophies.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Hmmm, I don't recall arguing that her body shape was normal. It's exaggerated artwork. Looks to me like the dress flares up a lot more than her actual ass does.

Also, you hardly see victim/trophy females in RM games. A lot of the times they play quite strong roles. But we're not trying to sell our games to a mass audience, so we don't have anything to gain by over-sexualizing them.

Stop editing my posts.

Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
You two give us a break. You started making your games immediately after Fallout 3 came out and I am pretty sure that both games use the same strapline "A Post-Nuclear RPG" (change to your favorite synonym). It is fine to make a Fallout clone if that's what you want to do and people enjoy playing it. But, just like Dragon Fantasy 2 is a Dragon Quest 3 clone and Aurora Wing is a Fire Emblem clone, you guys are making Fallout clones. Any differences that you are illustrating are purely tangential. Don't be so sensitive!! Also I just noticed that Everything turns Gray has a S.T.I.L.E. system. Not a clone? Come on!

ALSO: Don't turn this into a debate about video game consoles please.

I'm discussing here, not arguing, I promise.

My game has taken inspiration from Fallout 3. And Fallout 2. And Wasteland. And The Road. And all of the above have taken inspiration from all kinds of other things. Let's not forget Mad Max, On The Beach, The Stand.

My game is not a direct response to Fallout 3. Vermicide, its prototype, was started before the release of Fallout 3.

Furthermore, S.T.I.L.E. is an homage to certain systems in Fallout, kind of like Fallout was an homage to the very early post-apocalyptic open world CRPG Wasteland. However, you should know that there are subtle differences between 'homage', 'parody', 'clone', 'fan game', etcetera. Did you consider Backstage to be a Silent Hill clone, even though it had completely different story, setting, characters, and gameplay, or an homage? If Everything Turns Gray is a Fallout "Clone" then 90% of RM games are Final Fantasy clones. And I'm sure there are some people who think they are, but I don't happen to think that way.

Sorry to talk about my game so much in this topic but I'd like to point out that Nightblade specifically called out my game and drakiyth's so it seems a logical evolution of the topic.

Also, drakiyth: there is nothing particularly 'childish' about what Nightblade said. It is pretty typical nightblade crankiness (no offense NB but you are a fairly grumpy person!), but I wouldn't call it childish. There is no need to get so defensive. See also: back off my boy Clest, dawg. :P

-Max

P.S. Anyone making odds on how long it's going to take for the word barbarian to show up in this discussion? In all serious, big boobies and/or helpless damsels do not offend me in the slightest, or at least, I don't notice them as much as you guys do. I do agree that the nipponese are a race of filthy filthy sex perverts.

P.P.S.
As for Max, IGV was not your best; because you've already released better then that.

Ah, so is there one of my projects you actually liked? Eldritch, perhaps? Anyway, the creator's estimation of his own work is neither automatically right nor automatically wrong. You can have your opinion on this and I'll have mine.
I dislike it whenever games ask me completely un-needed questions, like in Res4 whenever it asks me if I want to pick up ammo... of course I want to pick up ammo, why wouldn't I want the bullets used to kill what is trying to kill me?

EDIT: 300 posts
author=Max McGee link=topic=2479.msg52353#msg52353 date=1230145290
P.S. Anyone making odds on how long it's going to take for the word barbarian to show up in this discussion?

Read more carefully <3
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I am annoyed by the appearance of stories in RPGs. They would be much better if nothing but characters (with personalities), banter, and lots of numbers.
So you wouldn't mind playing some RM game that is 100% completely the same as FF6, but instead of tonic, potion, and tent, they have bubble gum, can of red bull, and cardboard box. Noted!
Come on now, you know no game does this.

The games that do it have legitimate reasons. I think we can agree that it's stupid to rename things for the sake of just doing it, but nobody does it to be innovative. Every game that does this (Fallout, Mother, any sci-fi game, even some fantasy games) has a legitimate reason for doing so other than trying to be different.

The official games of Max that Nightblade didn't hate!

Eldritch - Hey, I kind of liked this, and the characters. The music was a bit odd at times though. It was also fun to play.

Mage Duel

I never really gave backstage a try, so I can't say anything about that. Something about survival horror and RPG maker doesn't really work to interest me.

...While Im posting, let me note another trend Im getting sick of. Crappy lighting. Games that all share this muddy filter. It sucks to see that this trend is even coming to RPG maker, as some games prefer to cover their maps with coffee filter lighting effects that not only look ridiculous in some cases, but make the game annoying to navigate through. If you want a good example of lighting effects done right, check out Velsarbor's intro level.
author=brandonabley link=topic=2479.msg52342#msg52342 date=1230143289
I also hate it when video games do not let me quit playing when I want to. There is sometimes no ability to quick save at any time. This is especially a problem in handheld games. I can put my handheld to sleep, but I can not be 100% guaranteed that it will still have my progress when I wake it up. Losing an hour's worth of progress just once or twice can make someone never want to play again.

If I recall, Agrias was basically a nun. Also when is the last time you have seen a real woman with an ass that huge. Seriously it is gross. She has a waist-hip ratio of like 0.33. It is 100% ghetto sex culture. I don't understand how you are arguing that illustration is showing a natural body shape. It is exactly the same as massive DDD breasts.

Also no I am not arguing that. I am arguing that over-sexualization of women in video games is wrong and it is gross. I can give a project the benefit of the doubt if both men and women in the game are sexualized and fashionable, but I can't do the same thing when women are portrayed as victims and trophies.

That type of attitude will ultimately make you "friends" with girls instead of "lover". Women despite what you think want a man in charge and not a pussy boy. They love for men to insult them once in a while because they constantly from every guy get compliments. Women like a guy with some sack dude.

Some girls in video games need to get the shit kicked out of them once in a while to show them the world is not fair and it's not perfect. I love my girlfriend to death but I don't let her walk on me and that's why she loves me to death. All her other boyfriends were crushed under her feet because they were pussies.

Women with nice big asses is hot. Who wants a bony butt?

I'm sleep deprived so if this did not make much sense sorry.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Drakiyth you barbarian please stop PARAPHRASING THE LAY GUIDE it is pretty disgusting and this is coming from a guy who is considered a chauvinist/sexist pig by many, including himself.

Some girls in video games need to get the shit kicked out of them once in a while to show them the world is not fair and it's not perfect.

This is the only thing you've said (here) that is even a little bit valid.
author=drakiyth link=topic=2479.msg52427#msg52427 date=1230179034
That type of attitude will ultimately make you "friends" with girls instead of "lover". Women despite what you think want a man in charge and not a pussy boy. They love for men to insult them once in a while because they constantly from every guy get compliments. Women like a guy with some sack dude.

Some girls in video games need to get the shit kicked out of them once in a while to show them the world is not fair and it's not perfect. I love my girlfriend to death but I don't let her walk on me and that's why she loves me to death. All her other boyfriends were crushed under her feet because they were pussies.

My favorite part of this is you giving a guy in a long-term relationship advice on being in a relationship. I have a hunch that Brandon knows what he's doing :P.

Not EVEN GOING TO TOUCH that other stuff you said, dude, except to say that a good relationship should not be a power struggle but a partnership. No one should take the upper hand, and it is most important to be RESPECTFUL of a long-term partner. That doesn't mean calling them names or keeping them in their place... you can show your own courage without insulting a girl. Just proving you have a life outside of her works just fine.
I'm not even going to touch this one.

Still, I'm happy to see things start to pick up around here.
Actually one thing that does annoy me is generally the use of ALL Final Fantasy item/spell/whatnot names.

It's not a huge annoyance, but I see many more games than not use "Phoenix Down" or "Tent" or "Fire 2" or "Cure 3." It doesn't have to be overly extravagant like the spell/item names in the Phantasy Star series (talking Genesis here), but something a little more original would be great.

And actually to be honest probably everyone here is drawing a heavy influence from one game or another with their creation. Who cares? What will make your game stand out is how well you put your own spin on it, with your own dialects, systems, and whatnot.
author=Max McGee link=topic=2479.msg52432#msg52432 date=1230180935
Drakiyth you barbarian please stop PARAPHRASING THE LAY GUIDE it is pretty disgusting and this is coming from a guy who is considered a chauvinist/sexist pig by many, including himself.

Some girls in video games need to get the shit kicked out of them once in a while to show them the world is not fair and it's not perfect.

This is the only thing you've said (here) that is even a little bit valid.

rofl

author=aprilschild link=topic=2479.msg52435#msg52435 date=1230181450

My favorite part of this is you giving a guy in a long-term relationship advice on being in a relationship. I have a hunch that Brandon knows what he's doing :P.

Not EVEN GOING TO TOUCH that other stuff you said, dude, except to say that a good relationship should not be a power struggle but a partnership. No one should take the upper hand, and it is most important to be RESPECTFUL of a long-term partner. That doesn't mean calling them names or keeping them in their place... you can show your own courage without insulting a girl. Just proving you have a life outside of her works just fine.

Haha, I might have sounded like an asshole. Oh well, it's the truth with most women. You got to show them you won't be pushed around. Once you win their heart and you're going good then you can do all the baby talk and cutesy stuff lol. Me and my girl would make everybody around us puke on site with how lovey dovey we are lol
author=Nightblade link=topic=2479.msg52408#msg52408 date=1230166012
...While Im posting, let me note another trend Im getting sick of. Crappy lighting. Games that all share this muddy filter. It sucks to see that this trend is even coming to RPG maker, as some games prefer to cover their maps with coffee filter lighting effects that not only look ridiculous in some cases, but make the game annoying to navigate through. If you want a good example of lighting effects done right, check out Velsarbor's intro level.

I completely forgot but this. I remember seeing one game that had good original graphics but they applied lighting of all different colours all over the place and made it all look like someone shit food colouring all over it. I can't stand bad lighting which applied to pretty much every RPG Maker game (although after checking out Velsarbor it looks to be one of the few that doesn't look terrible with lights)
author=brandonabley link=topic=2479.msg52342#msg52342 date=1230143289

I'm sleep deprived so if this did not make much sense sorry.

You know guys, he's pretty much right. Yeah, it's pretty disgusting/terrible/assholish etc but for better or worse, he's right.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I'm shocked nobody has brought up what I am about to bring up:

Shoddy interface. Slow menus. Too much animation.

I remember FF6 and Chrono Trigger getting this perfect. It takes about .1 second for a menu to open in both of those games, so you can just mash the A button to do what you want.

Compare that to games like Xenogears. You have to wait forever for Xenogears's menus. Even the title screen takes forever.
author=WIP link=topic=2479.msg52496#msg52496 date=1230232381

I remember FF6 and Chrono Trigger getting this perfect. It takes about .1 second for a menu to open in both of those games, so you can just mash the A button to do what you want.

Compare that to games like Xenogears. You have to wait forever for Xenogears's menus. Even the title screen takes forever.

Xenogear's menu was so awful that I usually put off healing my party because of it.

author=WIP link=topic=2479.msg52496#msg52496 date=1230232381

I have to agree, HOWEVER, I definitely prefer Xenogears Deathbow and combo battle system (although unrefined, I admit) to 'doing the same sword slash over and over and over.'