WHAT ANNOYS YOU IN A GAME?

WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Sure, but that is more of a game design issue and not interface.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Drak, may I suggest saying "women appreciate confidence, rather than wussiness in men" instead of "you have to show them what's up" :p

Totally agree with the menu thing. Menus don't have to look fancy at all. I approach them with a 100% utilitarian PoV.
author=harmonic link=topic=2479.msg52529#msg52529 date=1230251293
Drak, may I suggest saying "women appreciate confidence, rather than wussiness in men" instead of "you have to show them what's up" :p

Totally agree with the menu thing. Menus don't have to look fancy at all. I approach them with a 100% utilitarian PoV.

I take it you're a real woman right? Stop flirting with me ma'am k thx bai :P Just kidding, I totally agree with what you said. There is some women though, that are pretty brutal and mean and they need to be tamed and showed what's up. Besides that, a vast majority of women love a confident guy who knows what he wants etc.

Some of the best women in the world are the mean ones when you break them of their habits and they become lovey dovey with you. Personal experience with that one if I do say so myself. The way to break them of their habits is not to take their shit and give them a lot of space. Basically, don't call them every 2 hours or so.. Show them you're not desperate and you can get any girl and it will make her swoon to you. One thing I told my girl when we first started talking is. "I want to see you happy because I respect you". She then broke down one day and said I would be happy with you. This was during a time of her flirting with other dudes and stuff which at the time was totally fine. I did not win her heart yet. Though, being the guy who is not desperate and telling her stuff like you just want to see her happy will win you brownie points faster than a fatkid scarfs a cheeseburger down at McDonalds.

Generally, women love badass guys and rebels more than pretty boys who charm them all day with flowers and other crap. A flower and some charm goes a long way if you use it wisely and not all the time.
Haha dude make a topic called "Double Your Dating" with women or something. You can put all of your protips there.

I would also like to add that I don't like the too much animation thing either, especially if it's a skill that is used often. I'd try to keep your animations under 3 seconds long if possible. I don't like it when battles have an inconsistent pace. The game that is most guilty of this is Final Fantasy 8.
Agree ... oft-used summons/supermegaultimateskillz with 5-minute long animations that can't be skipped or at least shortened are ridiculous. It took Square, like, five Final Fantasy games to figure out that players might not want to sit through them for all the 5,667,888 times you have to use them. (In FFX you could thankfully shorten the Aeons' intro, and their Overdrive animations.)

I'm playing FFIX, and waiting for Eidolons to do their thing is driving me c r a z y !!
author=drakiyth link=topic=2479.msg52608#msg52608 date=1230329938
author=harmonic link=topic=2479.msg52529#msg52529 date=1230251293

I take it you're a real woman right? Stop flirting with me ma'am k thx bai :P Just kidding, I totally agree with what you said. There is some women though, that are pretty brutal and mean and they need to be tamed and showed what's up. Besides that, a vast majority of women love a confident guy who knows what he wants etc.

Some of the best women in the world are the mean ones when you break them of their habits and they become lovey dovey with you. Personal experience with that one if I do say so myself. The way to break them of their habits is not to take their shit and give them a lot of space.

"Tamed"? "Break them of their habits"?

You do know there's a difference between being a confident, self-assured man and being a misogynist, right? You're acting like women are something to get under your own control; why is it that you're taming the women and the women aren't taming you? Quite frankly, I'm starting to think by reading this thread that the latter is more necessary than the former.

As far as annoying things in videogames are concerned, I'll throw this out there: I've become more and more annoyed with linear storytelling in RPGs these days, and more and more enamoured with emergent gameplay/storytelling. There's nothing worse to me now than doing something awesome only to realize that it was essentially fated by the developer, and nothing better than doing something awesome and realizing that the guys who made the game probably had never even considered anything of the sort.

Not that I think there isn't room for linear stories in games anymore; they're just not really what I'm into lately.
As far as annoying things in videogames are concerned, I'll throw this out there: I've become more and more annoyed with linear storytelling in RPGs these days, and more and more enamoured with emergent gameplay/storytelling. There's nothing worse to me now than doing something awesome only to realize that it was essentially fated by the developer, and nothing better than doing something awesome and realizing that the guys who made the game probably had never even considered anything of the sort.

Not that I think there isn't room for linear stories in games anymore; they're just not really what I'm into lately.

I actually think quite the opposite on that subject. After trying really hard to like Fallout 3, I couldn't bring myself to. I guess rummaging through garbage whilst wandering a wasteland doesn't appeal to me. It felt like I was playing a sparsely populated MMORPG. I couldn't shake the feeling that no matter what I did, It really wouldn't shape or change the story too drastically.
I agree with Nightblade. All personal preferences of course, but it feels as if the modern types of RPGs like Oblivion and Fallout 3 are more or less a very different genre of games. While there are some great things gained, they also lost the classic charms of watching a story unfold in such a manner.

But again, they also do have many additional pros, and are basically just more or less a separate genre altogether.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I think Oblivion actually has a very interesting and captivating story but it is hard to isolate that when there is so much awesome going on elsewhere in the game. I think the story of Morrowind was even better (become a god/kill gods? come on, that's awesome). Fallout 3 um...tried, but failed, primarily because its main story was far too short and anti-climactic, and there was nothing epic about it.
Yeah I suppose that's true. I guess what I meant was just that the feel of it was different - the grandness of what was presented took away from the simple classical story-telling elements or whatnot. But hey, time changes.
author=Nightblade link=topic=2479.msg52952#msg52952 date=1230607479

I actually think quite the opposite on that subject. After trying really hard to like Fallout 3, I couldn't bring myself to. I guess rummaging through garbage whilst wandering a wasteland doesn't appeal to me. It felt like I was playing a sparsely populated MMORPG. I couldn't shake the feeling that no matter what I did, It really wouldn't shape or change the story too drastically.

That is one major problem with games like, say, Morrowind. The world often ends up (aside from some scripted event) being far too static and unaffected by your actions. I think that this problem might be alleviated a bit once games like that start being made using more advanced procedural methods as opposed to being built by hand from the ground up.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
But procedurally generated content has no heart! No soul!

No, seriously, I have mixed feelings on this. Everything Turns Gray is one of the most procedurally/randomly generated RM games ever, because I am literally sitting there at my computer ROLLING DICE to determine half of the stuff that shows up. But that's because it's based on a tabletop campaigin I ran with, obviously, a lot of randomly/procedurally generated stuff because it was, well, a tabletop campaign.

Oh and I know there is a difference between random content generation and procedural content generation.
That is one major problem with games like, say, Morrowind. The world often ends up (aside from some scripted event) being far too static and unaffected by your actions. I think that this problem might be alleviated a bit once games like that start being made using more advanced procedural methods as opposed to being built by hand from the ground up.

I have a hard time imagining how that would really work. The game would have to have a pretty insane development time to be truly open ended.
author=Nightblade link=topic=2479.msg53059#msg53059 date=1230679076
I have a hard time imagining how that would really work. The game would have to have a pretty insane development time to be truly open ended.
A great example of how it can almost be done are those old games like Fallout and Arcanum. It's not entirely open-ended but the choices are plenty and the choices have consequence.
Or make a damn good procedural/random generation engine. With those, the work is in creating rules for how worlds occur, progress, and react to stimuli; after that, you can just have the thing generate as huge a world as you can. You can also probably recycle a lot of that code for different games, if you do it right.
author=G-Flex link=topic=2479.msg53096#msg53096 date=1230703526
Or make a damn good procedural/random generation engine. With those, the work is in creating rules for how worlds occur, progress, and react to stimuli; after that, you can just have the thing generate as huge a world as you can. You can also probably recycle a lot of that code for different games, if you do it right.

Dude you just gave me a really kick ass idea for a future project. Imagine a game where each NPC has a random generator of text and they stick with it? One game session the NPC could say something and the next time you play through they say something entirely different and act different. This would be a long process to implement but goddamn would it be fun if done right. Would basically make each game you go through different.

EXAMPLE: NPC: Gregory The Wise

When you first talk to him he randoms 1 out of 8 things. Each thing contains a different quest. You can only get this one quest from him and that's it. If you don't play the load game and go with it, your next run could be something entirely different.

Pretty sweet stuff that would take a grip of work.
Eh, a random one-out-of-eight things isn't really procedural generation though, assuming those eight things are predefined by the designer. I'm talking more about that same person giving you a quest that's generated completely on the spot, based on certain rules. Example: "Kill <creature> at <place> because he killed my <relative>" or "Bring back the <item> that <person> at <place> stole from me", without any of those variables (including the people) being necessarily predefined by the developer.

The thing about procedural content generation is that, well, it's like the difference between building an entire city, and theorizing how a city should be built. One is a hell of a lot easier for someone to do sitting his his basement, and one takes a much larger budget and team to execute.
author=G-Flex link=topic=2479.msg53175#msg53175 date=1230761162
The thing about procedural content generation is that, well, it's like the difference between building an entire city, and theorizing how a city should be built. One is a hell of a lot easier for someone to do sitting his his basement, and one takes a much larger budget and team to execute.
Except of course Dwarf Fortress which proved that you don't need a huge budget nor a big team to exectute it.
Er, that's my point. :P

The "one" I referred to which requires a big team and budget was the option where you build everything from the ground up yourself instead of making rules to generate it.
I've been reading all this mainly to research what people want in rpg games. I'm doing this so that I can make my game appealing to most players. Rpg games are meant to be exciting, adventurous, have tons of Items and Equipment, have some interesting characters you want to know more about and the plot and story should be fantastic and unique. This applies to most traditional rpg games, futuristic rpg games can be diffirent. I'll explain to you now what annoys me in some rpg games and I'm quite sure many of you will agree with a few of my points.

1. I hate pointless rpg's (Rpg's with practically no plot and you battle and adventure for no reason then all of a sudden a bad guy pops outta no where saying mwuhahaha and then you gotta stop he or she.)

2. I hate rpg games with really sucky mapping which either have no detail or are practically empty. This puts of many people from playing the godamn sucky game. >:(

3. I hate it when the difficulty for monsters is challenging to start of the game. (Noobs and newbies would definately agree with me and some might give up straight away. I prefer the difficulty increasing as you progress.)

4. I hate it when a new party member joins your team and has absolutely no reason to or even a relationship with any of your current characters just saying "I'll help you on your journey as I want to stop bandits to". Then game continues and you don't find out why he or she wants to stop bandits or so and so...thats just sad and pathetic.

5. I really hate it when you have to battle a boss as the first monster in the game straight away when some people have no clue how to beat it and the boss is also quite hard. (Newbies would agree with this especially if the game didn't have tutorials)

6. I dislike weak monsters doing crap all damage to you but have like a zillion HP. They just waste a huge bundle of time in the game and aint exactly difficult.

7. I hate it when the plot is about defeating a dragon unless the storyline is fantastic.

8. I'm not a fan of puzzles and get very stressed if they are impossibly hard. I do like simple puzzles though if they aint to difficult and can be fun.(I'd rather have puzzles as optional maybe before you face an extra boss or whatever.

9. I detest rpg games when the classes are to similar or two or more characters have the same class.( Like a Warrior and a Heavy Warrior, which are pretty much same but slightly different only just a tad. Or two of your characters are like ninja's making it absolutely lamo >:(.)

10.I also hate games which have practically no gameplay and the game is basically scenes all the way unless it was made to be like that and the scenes where fantastic like watching a great movie.

11.I hate a pointless plot. Like for some reason a group needs to save the world from the evil sososo...with no reason what so ever with the baddy saying stuff like hahaha I will destroy world and you have no idea why, and how he or she will do it or how the baddy became bad through the game or the history of the baddy and where he or she came from.

12.I really don't like starting the game with a full party as you won't know how the characters met or became friends or whatever. ( Unless you are playing like a sequel or you are playing a dungeun game.)

13. I hate it when the encounter rate is ridiculously hostile. How the heck are you meant to move anywhere. Some people do this to make thier projects last longer which does makes me want to hurt them because they didn't think about how annoying that is >:( I mean for gods sake man, most of those people who do that will probably hate hostile encounters themselves. A good encounter rate would be rmxp default 30 or higher to certain extent unless you are on a special map or something like a small map and it was leading to a boss or something where the encounter rate is very hostile because of a special condition.

14. I hate games that start of with no intro or prologue or even an introduction scene. It sucks just all of a suddenly you start game and you have no idea what or where you are or what you gotta do or where you've gotta go unless it's meant to be like that which usually makes it sucky.

15. I hate having to figure out things yourself without being told help from a cutscene or an npc and searching for where you have to go or what you need to obtain or get and where from. This makes the player loop around for years and many players will even give up at that point.

16. I hate it when monsters give you too much experience and gold making you super strong too quickly.

17. I dislike constant adventuring with little scenes to see...

18. I hate it when the whole story is pretty much summarised at the start and you have to journey off to defeat the big bad boss without any cutscenes or whatever as you progress.

19. I hate it when names from popular rpg's are copied unless it's a remake. (one being cloud of the ff7 game)

20. I dislike basic and simple namess for the main characters. Like james or Dan lol :P unless the characters looked like a james or dan lol and fitted the role or the setting and mood of the game.

21. I hate ridiculously short games lasting like an hour.

22. I hate it when there's no way of coming back to the places you've visited or returning to exploring more into the game. I hate the game being on straight line till you reach end. (A bit like ff10 but at least you get to come back to those area's you explored before.)

23. I hate constant repetative games unless the game is meant to be like that...

24. I hate the fact that the maker was to lazy to test the game before release. (Yoi can find many mistake and problems with your game and even add more to it if you test it out....jeeez)

25. I hate it when the rpg game has bugs. :-[

26. I hate having to spend a year training to be strong enough to advance to next area everytime you reach a new part of the game. :-[

27. I hate it when all the characters are too serious making them all boring and none of them exciting or rude, posh, cocky or even charming. ;D

28. I hate games with loads of quests. I don't like quests that much and like to just play to continue the story unless the quests are based on continuing the story and cutscenes are seen during them.

29. I don't like it that spellcasters like mages can do good or average physical damage. They may as well be a godamn superhero then. >:(

30. I hate games with little items to obtain or use unless it's futuristic. :(

31. I hate it when games focus only on one main character leaving little knowledge of the other characters and why they are there to help or whatever bullcrap.

32. I hate games where you can't change the equipment. You may as well not have an equipment menu then.

33. I hate overpowered characters which you get towards the games end and you do super damage with them making completing game to easy.

34. I hate games where all the characters are pretty much boys or all of them are girls. The game should have a mixture of the both.

35. I hate games with practically no status affects. Makes the battle all about who does more damage than who making it sucky!

36. I hate games with a frontal view battlesystem like rmvx unless you could see your characters facing the enemy from third person point of view. (unlike rmxp where characters are looking at you >:(.

37. I don't like forced super long tutorials as some rpg pro's may already know how to play the game and will want to skip and not need them. The tutorials should be kept simple and easy to understand. Bigger tutorials can be put in the manual for the really thick players jeeez lueezz...

38. I hate getting stuck on a boss. You may be to weak to defeat it and there is no way of getting stronger because where you saved the game there is no way of going back to train to become strong enough to face it. ARRRGGHHH then you have to restart the whole bloody game and make sure you are prepare for that part.

I could go on forever but I'd probaby bore you to death. I hope some of you didn't die in your chair listening to me yap on...