WHAT ANNOYS YOU IN A GAME?

You only like very specific types of RPGs, don't you?
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=obsorber link=topic=2479.msg53252#msg53252 date=1230780921
stuff

Well that pretty much covers every game ever made in some way :P
Well
author=harmonic link=topic=2479.msg53326#msg53326 date=1230806810
stuff

Well that pretty much covers every game ever made in some way :P

Well no...thats not true at all. Many games out there are good but have thier bad points. I'm just saying what I dislike about some good and some bad games, this is just my opinion. But others will like doing loads of quests and like playing games with like empty maps lol jokes :P. I could play any good rpg game if the storyline was good to certain extent. And the characters are interesting and different to one another and the gameplay and mapping was ok. As long as the game had those features then I would play it without dying on my chair from boredam.
RPGs: Defenseless Female Healers.
MMO: Power Leveling, Nerds without lives.
FPS: Halo
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
7. I hate it when the plot is about defeating a dragon unless the storyline is fantastic.

Hahaha, Between Two Worlds was ultimately going to be about this, but the plot was so dense and slowly paced I don't think anyone even got this!
Stuff squared

You.. you can always stop playing the game you know... most of the things you listed can be spotted within the first 10 minutes of the game.
Very true. But if you want to review a game and say what you think fully about it. You must play it till game over or you get stuck. Or die of boredam from the sucky overallness or the shocking ugly mapping. :P
Annoying sound effects, just torques me off!
A new thing i find annoys me in games are random battles when they are triggered every 5 steps.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
How can something torque you off? Do you jump up and start spiraling away?
Basically the only thing I hate about most games are the awkward and terrible camera angles. Also, I'm not a fan of games based around a love story that is corny beyond belief, such as FF10 and FF10-2.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
The love story in FFX-2 is not corny. I think you're talking about Tidus, however, at which I will agree, but the actual story of the game--Lenne and Shuyin--is pretty nifty. In a game that makes fun of just about every RPG trope ever, it manages to twist the love story of FFX around into the perfect backdrop for itself.
author=Craze link=topic=2479.msg53516#msg53516 date=1230864702
The love story in FFX-2 is not corny. I think you're talking about Tidus, however, at which I will agree, but the actual story of the game--Lenne and Shuyin--is pretty nifty. In a game that makes fun of just about every RPG trope ever, it manages to twist the love story of FFX around into the perfect backdrop for itself.

FF8 had a love story backdrop to it too, but I think it was executed well and in a way that didn't seem corny.
author=demondestiny link=topic=2479.msg53506#msg53506 date=1230862811
A new thing i find annoys me in games are random battles when they are triggered every 5 steps.

Dragon Warrior games did this. No one complained.
author=sellout link=topic=2479.msg53550#msg53550 date=1230871926
author=demondestiny link=topic=2479.msg53506#msg53506 date=1230862811

Dragon Warrior games did this. No one complained.

Dragon Warrior games never annoyed me but a good example of this is Final Fantasy 1. Throughout each dungeon you would encounter a monster every 4,5 steps.
Meh, I got to the point where I would just hammer the A button because I wandered for so long I was level 80+ easy and I would smash everything with one hit. I was so disappointed with the monk until I figured out that I needed to UNFREAKINGEQUIP his weapon for him to deal masses of damage. Which I found that out in the last dungeon after I found Excalibur and Masamune... I think.. It's been so long, but I think those were in the last dungeon.
author=Natook link=topic=2479.msg53553#msg53553 date=1230873564
Meh, I got to the point where I would just hammer the A button because I wandered for so long I was level 80+ easy and I would smash everything with one hit. I was so disappointed with the monk until I figured out that I needed to UNFREAKINGEQUIP his weapon for him to deal masses of damage. Which I found that out in the last dungeon after I found Excalibur and Masamune... I think.. It's been so long, but I think those were in the last dungeon.

I think the masamune was but not so sure about excalibur. I used to hate walking along the dungeon walls and encountering foes every step and they got pretty strong as well.
Another thing that tends to annoy me about a few video games is that you have to work so hard to get through the game and to defeat the final boss, but you get an ending that is extremely short-lived and seems like it was thrown together at the last minute. One of the games that comes to mind is Dark Cloud.

Sometimes a game has the potential to be so cool, but the strange graphics just completely turn me away from it. Like in FF3 and Flyff(MMO by gPotato) the characters look chibi-fied. It seems like sometimes the graphics are made for a different audience than the game is.
Agreed, although I'd say the amount of epicness involved is more important than how long it is, but you'll probably agree there.

The thing is, if a game is story-based (as most RPGs are basically interactive fiction), the end should have good dramatic payoff. The time you spent shouldn't be met with cliches, "Congratulations!" stillframes, or half-assed endings. It should feel rewarding and final.
Yup, the ending should always make the player feel satisfied. And ff8 is my all time favourite of all the fantasy rpg games I've ever played. I thought the story line was great but a bit ridiculous in way. The characters were fantastic especially squall as he's like so cool. The quiet character who doesn't show much of his emotions who can also be cold hearted at times. I reckon games which show good detail enough to understand the characters and the setting have the best story. And I think a good rpg needs a good story to be succesful. Add that and some great gameplay features and you'll have most rpg lovers hooked on it till they find out what happens next.