WHAT ANNOYS YOU IN A GAME?

I've got a few qualms with battle speed. Lately I'm pretty annoyed by fights where you have to sit around for ten seconds watching your guys getting repeatedly punched in the face while your bar fills up. Especially when it takes five rounds to get through a fight. This does usually fix itself when you get a high enough speed stat, though.
Yeah thats true and it can be really annoying and off putting. Some rpg games nearly make me fall asleep on the pc while waiting.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I hate slow ATBs, which is probably why I love FFX-2. I swear, it is the fasted commercial ATB game evah.
When the below is missing:

And its little brother "Pause Scene" for uncontrolled cutscenes.

Thank god it's getting better.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=Craze link=topic=2479.msg53830#msg53830 date=1231035678
I hate slow ATBs, which is probably why I love FFX-2. I swear, it is the fasted commercial ATB game evah.
That's something we can agree on.

I hated it when Persona 3 gave me a timer in a turn-based game. Not a turn counter, a TIMER. Fuck that shit, man...

I have Lilim with Agi, Zio, Bufu and Garu now. Which reminds me, I don't like cames that FORCE a certain strategy on you in every battle (coughXenosagaIIcoughcoughcough.)
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=Shinan link=topic=2479.msg53196#msg53196 date=1230766388
author=G-Flex link=topic=2479.msg53175#msg53175 date=1230761162
The thing about procedural content generation is that, well, it's like the difference between building an entire city, and theorizing how a city should be built. One is a hell of a lot easier for someone to do sitting his his basement, and one takes a much larger budget and team to execute.
Except of course Dwarf Fortress which proved that you don't need a huge budget nor a big team to exectute it.

True story:

A few days ago I read this post and thought, "Hmm what is dwarf fortress? I've never heard of that.. So I sought it out and downloaded it.

At first I thought it was stupid because I couldn't figure out how to play it.

And then it ate LITERALLY 24 of the last 48 hours of my life, including sleep. No exaggeration. I think since this time on Friday I've only spent 6 hours not sleeping or playing Dwarf Fortress.

The game is...simply...indescribably...amazing. It is so vast, so impossibly vastly detailed and deep, that it makes The Elder Scrolls look like PONG and Spore look like Donkey Kong. It is in fact entirely TOO huge, OBSESSIVELY detailed, the video game equivalent of outsider art. And the most unimaginable thing, of course, is that it is an indy game, made by just two guys.
I have to disagree that an RPG should leave you feeling satisfied or that it should feel like a conclusion. Some great stories can leave you feeling almost cheated and conflicted. Watchmen was a great example of that. It not only took cliches and made them convincing but left you feeling really conflicted. Of course you can do this really badly and just look needlessly open ended. It still has to make you feel like the time put in was worth while.

I hate the sentence "That...that is..."
Prominent in all things japanese. Have you ever heard someone say that as a multipurpose expression of disbelief? Another example is "He's just like him..." or "Could it be...?"

Excessive menu navigation
Lost Odyssey did this. How often were you skill linking, creating rings and swapping them around mid battle. It's exhausting.

A young hero in denial
"I didn't ask for these powers! I don't want to save the world! I want my mundane life back!" I think we're all tired of the angsty, brooding teenager type character.

Classic anime characters
I'm pretty tired of character with triangular noses. The worst thing is these medieval societies seem to always have great stylists that allow them 4 foot spikey blue hair which stays perfect at all times. "We still use primitive melee weapons but we've invented VO5!" Who says just because you're riding into battle you have to look unfashionable?

Androgyny
A shoot-off of anime character design. I'm fine with an andrgynous character being used in the right context. But people like Square seem to love putting their male leads in skimpy little jackets showing off their stomach, with beautful big eyes and pretty lashes. I guess I'm not fond of this because I'm not androgynous myself.

Invisible Armour
It's demanding to make visually different armour using sprites, which infuriates me because I'd love to put it in my own game. But in the age of 3D I would like to see the armour actually changing your appearance more often. I'm tired of getting the Heavy Steel Armour and still be wearing a flimsy cloak.

What could have been
You know you are a victim too. Sometimes no matter how hard you try you think about what could have been. "If they had done this a little different, just put this here and that there, let you do this." You just have to try and take a step back and think of the limitations the creators were under. Nothing can ever please everyone.

Impractical Attire
When your character travel to an ice world (or any change in climate) they don't wrap up warm. No, writing "You must be freezing" does not make it alright haha.

Cliche Rage
Similar to "What could have been." Life isn't original, most creations aren't original. Yet we crave the new. Life is full of cliches but sooner or later you will complain that men have beards and women have boobs.

Happily ever after
It's nice to have a classic tale every now and then but that doesn't mean I'm not annoyed by it a lot of the time. Once the bad guy has been vanquished everyone lives happily ever after as if all evil in the world just disappears.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions
The good guys are good and they do good stuff for the good of good. Have you ever done something with good intentions at heart, only for it to backfire? Aparently people in games have not.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I'm generally not a fan of large amounts of exploration coupled with random encounters. And teenage protagonists. God knows how sick I am of teenage protagonists.

*make YM jealous*

EDIT: Also everything Enso said. Added emphasis on Cliche Rage and Invisible Armour.
I don't mind invisible armor at all. Besides, I don't want to make myself a total retard just for that +1 boost to my strength. That's one thing I hate about Bethesda games.
Haha you're right. MMORPGs are the worst culprits. You get a brand new piece of equipment and it's stats are amazing but it looks like some neon pink raver's attire, or you get something that looks really cool but it's stats are terrible.

Dragon Quest 8 did it quite well, changing the appearence of weapons and shields but you could also get the dragon armour which changed your appearence.

I guess that's another obstacle, making sure the different sets of armour don't clash together and you end up looking like a clown. I can see why it's not done very often.

You could work around it by basing your equipment on sets instead of single pieces or you could add bonuses for wearing completed sets of armour, like in MMOs, and only then would your appearance change.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Enso_ link=topic=2479.msg53907#msg53907 date=1231085178
Cliche Rage
sooner or later you will complain that women have boobs.

Doubtful
A young hero in denial
"I didn't ask for these powers! I don't want to save the world! I want my mundane life back!" I think we're all tired of the angsty, brooding teenager type character.

Cliche Rage
Similar to "What could have been." Life isn't original, most creations aren't original. Yet we crave the new. Life is full of cliches but sooner or later you will complain that men have beards and women have boobs.

Wut
I have to disagree that an RPG should leave you feeling satisfied or that it should feel like a conclusion. Some great stories can leave you feeling almost cheated and conflicted. Watchmen was a great example of that. It not only took cliches and made them convincing but left you feeling really conflicted. Of course you can do this really badly and just look needlessly open ended. It still has to make you feel like the time put in was worth while.
Yeah, I admit I was making an overgeneralized statement. Obviously, any rule can be broken if you do it right. It depends on what actually works for the game.

I hate the sentence "That...that is..."
Prominent in all things japanese. Have you ever heard someone say that as a multipurpose expression of disbelief? Another example is "He's just like him..." or "Could it be...?"
This is a result of bad translation more often than not. Japanese has very different grammar, so different sentence structures work and ambiguous/cut-off dialogue works differently, so a bad localization can give you things like "Why... it's..." and "But he's already - !" and so forth.

Classic anime characters
I'm pretty tired of character with triangular noses. The worst thing is these medieval societies seem to always have great stylists that allow them 4 foot spikey blue hair which stays perfect at all times. "We still use primitive melee weapons but we've invented VO5!" Who says just because you're riding into battle you have to look unfashionable?
Add to this girls who seem to preen themselves runway-fashion style before battle. You don't need to curl your hair before battle! What the hell is wrong with you!
The good guys are good and they do good stuff for the good of good. Have you ever done something with good intentions at heart, only for it to backfire? Aparently people in games have not.

Have you played many RPGs hombre?
author=harmonic link=topic=2479.msg53924#msg53924 date=1231095497
Cliche Rage
sooner or later you will complain that women have boobs.

Doubtful
Haha, well maybe that was an oversimplification.

author=G-Flex
This is a result of bad translation more often than not. Japanese has very different grammar, so different sentence structures work and ambiguous/cut-off dialogue works differently, so a bad localization can give you things like "Why... it's..." and "But he's already - !" and so forth.
I thought it may be that. Is there a better equivilent or is it just better to completely rewrite the part for english?

author=Feldschlacht IV
Have you played many RPGs hombre?
Now I think about it, I've played several RPGs in the last 10 years that have all had characters with shady pasts. I reverse my statement hah.
I honestly have no idea because I don't actually know Japanese. However, Japanese is a rather different language from English, so opting to translate things literally is usually a bad way to go in the first place.
The automatic gameovers when the main character dies.

And SO3's MP death, which was the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a game.
Running systems in RPGs are almost always pointless. If its "Push X to make the game less tedious run" then X'll be pushed down for most of the game. If there's a way to change the default movement speed it'll be set to Run and never touched again. Why would you ever walk?

Just make the default walk speed fast unless there's an actual consequence for running.

author=Yeaster link=topic=2479.msg54093#msg54093 date=1231189607
The automatic gameovers when the main character dies.

Argh Persona 3