WHAT ANNOYS YOU IN A GAME?

1. Games that are too easy. (Easy = Boring)
2. Games that are hard not because of actual difficulty, but because the maker of the game decided to make the game as cheap as possible (You know who you are).
3. Not getting anything for beating insanely hard enemies (aka those enemies that were designed to be impossible to beat).
4. Stupid puzzles/ quests.
5. Incredibly obscure puzzles/ quests.
6. Inconsistency between what is possible in battle and what is possible in the rest of the game.
7. Being able to walk through walls when you aren't an incorporeal entity.
8. Being forced to choose an undesirable option.
9. Being able to predict dialogue/ what a character will do in every situation.
10. Games that claim to be complete when they are merely demos.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Maverick Phantom link=topic=2479.msg54444#msg54444 date=1231360308
3. Not getting anything for beating insanely hard enemies (aka those enemies that were designed to be impossible to beat).

This has the potential to reward you with a broken game :P

I think my first game ever made have those 2 things...But ONE of the puzzle was a test to see if you have a decent memory. :P

I'm probably gonna keep checking this thread every so often so I can make a very decent game...When I get working on one that is. Hopefully, I'll get used to Rm2k/Rm2k3...They're driving me nuts right now.

author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=2479.msg54116#msg54116 date=1231199139
Running systems in RPGs are almost always pointless. If its "Push X to make the game less tedious run" then X'll be pushed down for most of the game. If there's a way to change the default movement speed it'll be set to Run and never touched again. Why would you ever walk?

Just make the default walk speed fast unless there's an actual consequence for running.

I think running systems are actually quite useful in certain times.

heh i know plenty of games that do this. It is rather natural to expect this now so it doesn't annoy me.
author=demondestiny link=topic=2479.msg54490#msg54490 date=1231374432

heh i know plenty of games that do this. It is rather natural to expect this now so it doesn't annoy me.

Final Fantasy 8 was a great example of this. Because YOU NEVER GOT EXP FROM BOSSES!!! It really pissed me off.
author=sushiman345 link=topic=2479.msg54487#msg54487 date=1231373639

I think my first game ever made have those 2 things...But ONE of the puzzle was a test to see if you have a decent memory. :P

I'm probably gonna keep checking this thread every so often so I can make a very decent game...When I get working on one that is. Hopefully, I'll get used to Rm2k/Rm2k3...They're driving me nuts right now.
Using 2k(3) is like smoking. It's understandable if you started way back when it was cool, but why the fuck would you start now? Go try VX.
Games with bad music. It doesn't matter how good the story, the graphics, or the gameplay are. If the music is bad, I'll get annoyed and tired waaayy too quickly. Xenosaga II comes to mind.
author=TooManyToasters link=topic=2479.msg54658#msg54658 date=1231462651
Using 2k(3) is like smoking. It's understandable if you started way back when it was cool, but why the fuck would you start now? Go try VX.

How is it like smoking? It doesn't slowly destroy you or cost you £6 per box plus you can use 2k3 without having to worry about if it'll clog up your computer's fan vents.
Rm2k3 causes cancer.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Bosses should drop tangible rewards--toys--instead of intangible rewards exclusively. The reason is that difficulty is ramped up and characters are more likely to die. So, unless EXP is gained despite status, levels are lost. A revived character can still wield a dual-edged +6 voral chainblade, however!

If you think that dead characters should suffer because they died (haha), think about these concepts:

-Your player beat the boss, regardless. That should be highly rewarded.
-The player wants to have a good time, not be punished if the boss whips out some crazy death throe attack right before the EXP is dished out.
-Did you give the player a potentially weak/under-leveled character? If so, when they inevitably die they still won't get stronger. CHAOS: THIS SORT OF THINKING IS NOT A FEATURE THIS IS BAD GAME DESIGN*

In summary: Go play Etrian Odyssey 2 and take notes.

*This is referring to some terrible reasoning he had a while back involving a boss fight in that western game.
I think you meant "vorpal". And I totally agree with your points. You should write an article about it,
author=Fallen-Griever link=topic=2479.msg54705#msg54705 date=1231499409
Final Fantasy 8 was a great example of this. Because YOU NEVER GOT EXP FROM BOSSES!!! It really pissed me off.

But you got a shit tonne of AP, and having more GF-abilities was almost always a better way to make your character stronger than gaining levels. Gaining levels did little for your stats compared to junctioning.

Oh, you're right. I remember that now. and I concur.
Craze
kentona: Err, yeah, I meant vorpal. I am very excitable about the subject of rewards in RPGs and typed at a very rapid pace due to my anger!

As for an article: you already did an article about rewards, and Brick talks about EXP allotment in his dungeon design article. At least, I'm pretty sure it's the dungeon article...

I believe he talked about treasure allotment in his article. There was a brief part about monsters, but I don't think he covered exactly that.

But I agree 200%, bosses having experience points distributed rather than a good item isn't good design. If somebody dies, you can't gain the levels the other team members received. It is basically a gamble that the player did not ask for, with the potential to hurt them more than reward them. Unless your battle system is designed to give experience points no matter what condition the character is in, it is not a good idea. Awesome stuff, Craze.

I don't care who has done a reward article, make one now. >:(
I guess I'll take a crack at it.
author=Neophyte link=topic=2479.msg54761#msg54761 date=1231535347
I don't care who has done a reward article, make one now. >:(
http://www.rpgmaker.net/articles/47/
Well, shit.

By the way, one thing that annoys me in a game is puzzles, but I already said that, no?
Craze
I might make a new one specifically about BATTLE LOOT or something I dunno. We'll see, I've been pretty busy lately but whatever.

-Too easy games. After the 16bits, i think a few games has a nice difficult. Its the KEY to make the gameplay interesting. I dont understand why in modern RPG exist the dungeons or the battles at all. If you have 1.000.000 potions and the savepoints cure you in every place. The dungeon becomes boring when its utility is to fill storytelling.
In a older RPG like FFI, the dungeons, mazes, random battles or grinding were fun. ¿Why? ¿Because the dungeons and battles are the core of the game itself?

If you enter a dungeon thinking in go through all to watch the next scene, all the gameplay will be boring.
If you go thinking in improving your skills and beating all the challengues, then will be fun. But for this, the game have to be balanced and have good dificult.

-Generic things. Generic RPG plot in generic gampeplay and genereic setting and music. Generic games... boring, if you can't make your game longer just dont try it. Make it short and intense. Comercial games HAVE to be longer, because they cost money, but amateur no.
I think a lot of comercial RPG without the generic fill will be 1000 times better. A example is Grandia. It have some good characters, themes, myths, world, ambient, etc... but the good thing its totally filled and get's boring too easy.

-Unbalanced gameplay. Limit breaks, ultimate habilities, summons. Things like this. Also ultracurative items, or too accesible ones. Actual battle system's are more unbalanced and have less depth thant a 8 bit RPG.
Yes, they didnt have tons of filling customitzation, but all the options where STRATEGICAL. Who cares about 1000 options of FFX gameplay if you can kill all the bosses of the game with the aeons turbo? or if you can get defense to everything without any penalytzation? etc etc
I think FFV its unmatched, even today.

-We are amateur. Don't repeat all the mistakes of the commercial games! Make something for you, original, artistic, etc... dont pretend to clone the last Final Fantasy or anime.