ANY GAMES AS GOOD AS THE WAY

Pages: 1
Are there any games on here that's nearly as good the best game made to date: The Way?

Edit: Here are the things I liked about the way in order of importance and would hopefully look for as many of these qualities in another game:

- A deep intricate story (most important)
- The game was a huge tragedy
for everyone except Strata. Khloe's master screws another girl, Rhue's entire adventure was a lie and he loses his identity, Lyra having her whole family killed, the Landorin massacre, and a lot of main chars dying

- Being able to turn off all battles
- The soundtrack
- A love story
- The setting of being a wandering traveler
judging by the lack of response, apparently not!
Nope it's the best RPGMaker game. Sorry bud.
Maybe it'd be a good idea to let us know what you liked about the game. There's a bunch of amazing games on the site that match up to and/or overtake the quality of The Way, but maybe you want something that lets you turn off all battles or something that has a deep, intricate story, or maybe you want more plunge-like battles.
author=Liberty
Maybe it'd be a good idea to let us know what you liked about the game. There's a bunch of amazing games on the site that match up to and/or overtake the quality of The Way, but maybe you want something that lets you turn off all battles or something that has a deep, intricate story, or maybe you want more plunge-like battles.

This. What did you like about the game? The story? The battle system?

One RPG classic that will surely get recommended eventually is A Blurred Line. That game has a great story, amazing dialogue, and a fun battle system. Check it out. It's hosted here. Only problem is that we've been waiting since 2002 for the sequel/finale to come out (Line's End). The developer, Lys, returns to the community every few years to let us know that it's still in production, but who knows if it'll ever actually come out.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
How can you say it's the best game made to date if you haven't already played every other game in existence?
Like Dethmetal said, A Blurred Line is probably your best bet, though you might also like Final Fantasy: Endless Nova, and the Legion Saga series (the first one is kinda meh, but the second one is pretty rad).
author=Sidewinder
Like Dethmetal said, A Blurred Line is probably your best bet, though you might also like Final Fantasy: Endless Nova, and the Legion Saga series (the first one is kinda meh, but the second one is pretty rad).

Seconded on Endless Nova, although it's been a long time since I played it.

I actually think the first Legion Saga is pretty decent, but it's severely hampered by a painfully slow walking speed and high random encounter rate. At the time of its release, though, it was probably the best completed RM2K game out there.
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I've played a blurred line years ago and remember liking it. I'll have to check out the final fantasy endless nova and legion saga.

I've also updated the post with things I like about The Way so the thread has more detail of what made The Way so good in my opinion
author=dethmetal
I actually think the first Legion Saga is pretty decent, but it's severely hampered by a painfully slow walking speed and high random encounter rate. At the time of its release, though, it was probably the best completed RM2K game out there.
I could just be biased because I played the second and third game originally, then went back and downloaded the first.

I was expecting a hype missing link that was going to tie the series together, whereas instead I just got a basic RTP adventure with a few interesting gimmicks. Not bad by any means but I was never as invested in Legion Saga 1 the same way I was with 2 and 3.

author=ekoo100
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I've played a blurred line years ago and remember liking it. I'll have to check out the final fantasy endless nova and legion saga.
I'd also recommend Three the Hard Way, and Alter ALIA.

I haven't actually played the former and I have no idea what it's about, but I know it's one of those classic projects that everyone seems to love (I think there's a reference to it in the Way?) so you might like it. Alter ALIA is a really good anime inspired cyberpunk game, so if you liked A Blurred Line, check that out too.

EDIT: There's also Sunset Over Imdahl. It's another one of those games I never actually got around to playing but from what I know it's really well made, and might be worth looking into.
author=Sidewinder
I'd also recommend Three the Hard Way

I was going to suggest this one too.

- A deep intricate story (most important)  ✓ check!
- The game was a huge tragedy  ✓ (well more or less it is! Check!)
- The soundtrack  ✓ I liked especially the menu theme.
- A love story  ✓ Check!
- The setting of being a wandering traveler ✓ Wandering mercenary in this case...

Ok, no game is similar to The Way, but TTHW, despite some differences, has a complex story and many characters. It's more "jrpg oriented" but has some interesting features, like optional bonus quest e different paths.

I agree with the other suggestions (I reviewed them all ^_^), but yes, Legion Saga 1 was a bit meh and Endless Nova is pretty good (but combat is very Final Fantasish with the Orbs and elements).

Edit
*Damn spambot tricked me! NOW I have seen the dates of the topic! :(
It's amazing that over a decade--what, are we getting close to like 15 years--that The Way is still being used as a benchmark of a good or great RPG Maker game.

What's even crazier is that every recommendation made here that I was going to make (ABL, TTHW) and most of the games that I wasn't going to recommend that other people did are also well over a decade old.

It's weird, man. Like, alternate universe weird. LISA happened. To The Moon happened. Both made like a shitton of money on Steam, I'm sure. But we always come back to the same few old, old, old games. And why are people not recommending any of the (multiple) badass complete games that unity has made in the last ~3-5 years? The dev unity, not the engine. I mean, it's not like these oldies are without merit. To be clear, TTHW is probably my favorite JRPG I have ever played, beating out FFVII by a smidge.

Objectively* speaking, Sunset Over Imdahl is the best RM game that has been mentioned in this thread (though not my favorite, that would be ABL). Imdahl is nowhere near as epic as The Way, but it's absolutely gorgeous, competently written, and while the story it tells is smaller and more self-contained and includes an intersection of story and mechanic that is to me completely unique in all of gaming, it's also better told. I am one of the people who felt that Wilfred The Hero was a step back for that dev relative to Imdahl. Full Disclosure: I never beat The Way, but I played a lot of it.

* I am not the lord and master of objective truth: when I use wording like this it's because I'm putting empirical assessment ahead of personal opinion which is the opposite of what people normally do. My "objective" is still subjective, but it's "in my opinion this is empirically true" as opposed to "this is just my opinion but".
author=StormCrow
It's amazing that over a decade--what, are we getting close to like 15 years--that The Way is still being used as a benchmark of a good or great RPG Maker game.

What's even crazier is that every recommendation made here that I was going to make (ABL, TTHW) and most of the games that I wasn't going to recommend that other people did are also well over a decade old.

It's weird, man. Like, alternate universe weird. LISA happened. To The Moon happened. Both made like a shitton of money on Steam, I'm sure. But we always come back to the same few old, old, old games. And why are people not recommending any of the (multiple) badass complete games that unity has made in the last ~3-5 years? The dev unity, not the engine. I mean, it's not like these oldies are without merit. To be clear, TTHW is probably my favorite JRPG I have ever played, beating out FFVII by a smidge.

Objectively* speaking, Sunset Over Imdahl is the best RM game that has been mentioned in this thread (though not my favorite, that would be ABL). Imdahl is nowhere near as epic as The Way, but it's absolutely gorgeous, competently written, and while the story it tells is smaller and more self-contained and includes an intersection of story and mechanic that is to me completely unique in all of gaming, it's also better told. I am one of the people who felt that Wilfred The Hero was a step back for that dev relative to Imdahl. Full Disclosure: I never beat The Way, but I played a lot of it.

* I am not the lord and master of objective truth: when I use wording like this it's because I'm putting empirical assessment ahead of personal opinion which is the opposite of what people normally do. My "objective" is still subjective, but it's "in my opinion this is empirically true" as opposed to "this is just my opinion but".

Haha speaking of old games... i couldn´t find ever again RPG´s that where as amazing as Xenogears or Lunar 2 for the PSX... Last thing that hook me up a lot was The Witcher 3, but it was the ONLY one that really got my attention.
I think there are still good RM games occasionally, but ABL and The Way were in a different kind of a good. Rather than aping classic Squaresoft RPGs they did sort of forge their own format for how a story should be executed delivering payoff after payoff.

There are so many more avenues and mediums now that we don't get that anymore. Or different trends within the genres/engine kind of just take over. I guess you kind of need someone to specifically go after the "RPGs as page turners" format that's hard to describe. But there's so many other styles/genres to chase after. I was really hoping Shadows of Adam would just be a vehicle for Lun to inject his writing but I think he only did some editing.
Yes, really! I agree with you! The Sunset Over Imdahl is a good game and I am really amazed that you mentioned it.

author=AlexNoah
author=StormCrow

It's weird, man. Like, alternate universe weird. LISA happened. And also https://write-my-essay.online/ makes my day because my essay is written and the quality of it is great. Essay writing service is the best opportunity to save your time. To The Moon happened. Both made like a shitton of money on Steam, I'm sure. But we always come back to the same few old, old, old games. And why are people not recommending any of the (multiple) badass complete games that unity has made in the last ~3-5 years? The dev unity, not the engine. I mean, it's not like these oldies are without merit. To be clear, TTHW is probably my favorite JRPG I have ever played, beating out FFVII by a smidge.

Haha speaking of old games... i couldn´t find ever again RPG´s that where as amazing as Xenogears or Lunar 2 for the PSX... Last thing that hook me up a lot was The Witcher 3, but it was the ONLY one that really got my attention.
Pages: 1