[MAFIA] MAFIA - BEHIND THE MASK - GAME OVER

/me highfives fomar

@KF: Well you still managed to nail 4 town in a night haha. How much of a "this game is going to give me an ulcer" schtick was an act?

other stuff... I completely forgot I saved cave's ass night 1. At the time I thought it had a 10% chance of being helpful, 5% harmful, otherwise irrelevant.

re: moderating decisions, I can't say I saw anything wrong with the OP or the actual in-game decisions. The beholder thing might've been a bit questionable, but especially Cerulean Specter town had every opportunity to figure it out when that ID turned up but all of us just thought "some imposter junk is going on" and chose to ignore it. The weasel-wording in the OP did its job. What I would not do is describe the setup as semi-open though. I knew it wasn't /fully/ open when PA stated he couldn't play because he already knew the setup, which wouldn't have been a problem in an actual semi-open game. And that happened before the game even started.
author=psy_wombats
/me highfives fomar

@KF: Well you still managed to nail 4 town in a night haha. How much of a "this game is going to give me an ulcer" schtick was an act?

other stuff... I completely forgot I saved cave's ass night 1. At the time I thought it had a 10% chance of being helpful, 5% harmful, otherwise irrelevant.

re: moderating decisions, I can't say I saw anything wrong with the OP or the actual in-game decisions. The beholder thing might've been a bit questionable, but especially Cerulean Specter town had every opportunity to figure it out when that ID turned up but all of us just thought "some imposter junk is going on" and chose to ignore it. The weasel-wording in the OP did its job. What I would not do is describe the setup as semi-open though. I knew it wasn't /fully/ open when PA stated he couldn't play because he already knew the setup, which wouldn't have been a problem in an actual semi-open game. And that happened before the game even started.

all of that was real because i got so bored and frustrated and also the thing did still happen where important people had to out so they didn't die. i am used to really fast mafia games with like ten minute days (an hour at the most if people are indecisive) and then cave asks me to join a game on here after i forget these take like literal, actual days and i just go completely nuts

i'm glad i didn't win since eventually nobody wanted me to though, that'd have been a disaster
Well played Kitten! I actually was a little more suspicious of Odd than of you, but I was by no means sure of anything.

I actually really like the dual chat setup, since in some ways it flips who wants more/less info. Scum wants confusion and less communication in day chat, town (kind of) wants confusion and less communication in night chat.

I wonder if it would have been a little better if the election was based on secret identity rather than actual name, since that would have required actual communication in night chat, and would have nullified the mason being the obvious vote.
I was rooting for scum. That mass unmasking was like, INTENSE to watch. Shivers going on here!

Still : D Well played all. I only follow a bit in the end, but it looks like it turned out to be mighty fun
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
author=psy_wombats
/me highfives fomar

I think I still feel the way I phrased it in deadchat.

"the problem i think is that, intent aside as I know you meant it to be like a puzzle thing (but we always make puzzles from a bird's eye so the difficulty is skewed) it essentially functioned as a trap set by the mod, when mafia should be town vs scum." I don't think town should have to figure out exactly what 'semi-open' means. To me, I just looked at the fact that several roles were alignment null and that answered the question for me.

author=jeroen
Though thinking about it some more with a more clear head, I do still think the Name Switcher should block the Impostor. I should have thought of the possibility at the beginning of the game and included it in the rules, so I get that the decision felt unfair, but I don't think the decision itself was wrong."

Basically town probably had too much power in that one role but, with a setup where "how roles work" is listed in the OP, you essentially just have to let things ride. It was basically besides the point though, scum wasn't losing because in the first place cause of that one role, its existence as described just lent credence to the idea that we could end the game faster.

Also @Jeroen I did appreciate the game and it's a cool setup. I think it could be tweaked though, besides the information thing. I personally would make everyone get a role that's alignment-null and really kind of weak on its own. I also think the general consensus was that nights could be 24h long and you wouldn't lose anything. Also as I mentioned in another game, the QT posting times thing...it kind of leads to people either not caring if they get identified, potentially doing something unhealthy to avoid identification, or else building a robot.

It also devolves into the best strategy being "saying nothing" and using the QT as little as possible.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
also clarifications to prevent stuff like fomar not knowing how his role worked

"May #Rolestop a player each night to block all night actions used on them that night. Cannot block #Unmask. Declares their action in the second 24 hours of night phase."

in another instance of this, know I got roleblocked but I thought THIS would have prevented me from being tracked anyways, because it says that night actions used on them are "blocked." not that they just "don't return a result" or something but are blocked. It's ambiguous and you could rule either way that they either visit and fail or don't get the chance to visit at all, but I assumed the latter, so I would have been really surprised if we hadn't killed ozzy and I had just suddenly died n2 or something, whereas if I knew how this worked I might've told the beholder to be on me and just self-watched.

also I don't know about anyone else but when I start talking about solved game game over etc. It's not a dig at the mod, it's to psyche out scum lol.

Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=AlaskanEmily
I wonder if it would have been a little better if the election was based on secret identity rather than actual name, since that would have required actual communication in night chat, and would have nullified the mason being the obvious vote.

Unfortunately that isn't possible since it would out whoever is elected when day phase starts. I would have preferred it too.

As for the QT timestamps, yeah. We realy do need to find a website that doesn't have timestamps, don't we?
author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
"the problem i think is that, intent aside as I know you meant it to be like a puzzle thing (but we always make puzzles from a bird's eye so the difficulty is skewed) it essentially functioned as a trap set by the mod, when mafia should be town vs scum." I don't think town should have to figure out exactly what 'semi-open' means. To me, I just looked at the fact that several roles were alignment null and that answered the question for me.
This is fair. The missing ID wasn't exactly weaponized by clever scum, it was just town walking into a rake in the setup.

I did enjoy having all night actions be public and semi-anonymous. That stuff's like catnip to me. It might make a fun gimmick for a game without the additional rules around getting-your-id-outted-gets-you-killed scumkill method... I the whole spy-vs-spy adversarial chat thing with people who are trying to figure out your ID will always devolve into the stuff mentioned above.

e: the problem isn't just timestamps or whatever, it's just I'm here to hunt people based on knowledge they do or not have vs posting traits etc they do or do not have
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
in another instance of this, know I got roleblocked but I thought THIS would have prevented me from being tracked anyways, because it says that night actions used on them are "blocked."

Yeah, you couldn't be tracked because you were roleblocked. You also couldn't be tracked because you were blocked by rolestop. I think I said psy saved you in dead chat inbetween you getting roleblocked and Fomar getting rolestopped, and I think scum only rolestopped Fomar because you were already roleblocked and thus couldn't be tracked anyway.
Yeah, I also agree nights should have been shorter. I get that 12 hours per phase means some people might be forced into posting at inconvenient times, but 48 hours is just really long.

And I also get that on N2, you couldn't end it early because we didn't actually know that hyperfresh had been impostered (it could have been a lie, etc), but it was still so long to wait for absolutely nothing to happen.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
yeah I enjoyed editing my graph. heres how it looked at time of death

i came to the conclusion that rorshach was the out of reality name for some reason. idr why. or anything. On day 2 I became pretty ill so the five or so IRL days after that were a blur.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
also I cannot believe that nobody commented on me submitting the name sailor saturn and not sailor uranus.
unsure if I want to know exactly what I am a MOTHERFUCKING of

I still don't know how everyone made charts and everything yet none of us thought Cerulean showing up was weird and all just attributed it to switchery nonsense, up to and including Fomar's claim sheet having 6 roles and 5 players. I definitely also thought Rorschach was completely missing.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
It just says motherfucking

I believe it's because fomar beheld piano n2, and then I watched piano, and then you roleblocked someone different instead of letting me see you both. Not that it would've done me any good at that point

Jeroen_Sol
author=AlaskanEmily
And I also get that on N2, you couldn't end it early because we didn't actually know that hyperfresh had been impostered (it could have been a lie, etc), but it was still so long to wait for absolutely nothing to happen.
If it's any consolation, it was as frustrating for me as it was for you guys.
I hope 12 hour phases work. If I do ever tweak and rerun the setup, I'll try that instead. The two phases do need to stay though. It's important that the investigatives are forced to declare their actions before the manipulatives, otherwise the night phases become a waiting game where everyone sends in their action at the very last second. We already had this happen N1 where the roleblocker wanted to wait for the unmasks in order to not paint a target on himself.
I also thought Rorschach was the dummy name, after Cerulean posted I assumed imposter had chosen Rorschach n1 when they didn’t post.

Can I just add Odd played the scummiest town ever.

/me returns the high five to Psy

Also MVP cool, my beholding myself worked!
Jeroen_Sol
author=Fomar0153
Also MVP cool, my beholding myself worked!

I believe kitten's exact words were:

"HOLD ON, FOMAR? WAIT YOU CAN JUST /BEHOLD/ YOURSELF? D:

I MEAN, OF COURSE YOU CAN SINCE YOU CAN WATCH YOURSELF AND JUNK BUT WHO WOULD DO THAT!? he really does possess a brain cell."
The number of my brain cells got called into question a lot in the scum chat :(

I thought I hid my identity really well.
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
Sorry about not really participating this game. It was a mix between burnout and a lot of health issues over the past week.
Jeroen_Sol
author=Fomar0153
The number of my brain cells got called into question a lot in the scum chat :(

Enough to win town MVP!

author=oddRABBIT
Sorry about not really participating this game. It was a mix between burnout and a lot of health issues over the past week.

The former is probably the reason we all need a little break from mafia and pick back up in a few months. But the latter was just extremely unfortunate. Hope you get well soon odd.