VIDEO- ON WORLDBUILDING: PLACE NAMES

Pages: 1
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Just wanted to share this video with some great tips on coming up with location names, and how those can subtly communicate your world and history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcKMbVXpRRA
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Good stuff. Though it's pretty apparent that naming places is the final step in a long list of tasks that need doing to build your world.

This guy has a lot of vids that cover some interesting subtopics in worldbulding and writing. I'm definitely gonna sub and check out a few more. Thanks for sharing!
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Yeah he's pretty great IMO!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Meanwhile my process is like:

- Hmm I'm setting this game in a fictional former soviet nation, so I guess I should put "istan" after the random syllables I was gonna use
- Hernia is a funny town name
- People thought Hernia was funny, so let's name more towns after types of injuries with funny-sounding names. Concussion? Asthma?
- I wonder if I can just name this dungeon Naval Base instead of actually coming up with a name for the base
- I thought Kingler sounded like a good city name but it turns out it's actually a pokemon, but I already wrote the dialogue so I don't want to change it
- This village is in the woods. The first object I saw while trying to think of a name was red. Does Redwood sound too generic? Nah it's fine
- I was inspired by Ravenloft when making this zone. Never is an anagram of Raven right? Wait, shit, no it's not. Oh well, it's fine, whatever, an anagram was probably a bad idea anyway. It's on the shore instead of the mountains so I'll go with Nevershore.
- Lol what if I name this inn after a real life diner chain, I wonder if anyone will recognize it
Pages: 1