BEST SOFTWARES FOR COMPOSING MUSIC

Pages: 1
I want to compose my own music for my next game, but I don't know what software I should use.

Back in the day I used Music Sculptor to create midi. You basically just played notes on your keyboard and it recorded it. I stopped using it because program lags in more recente Windows versions. I'm looking for something similar, but preferrably something that doesnt rely too much on my own timing, and that can expost music to mp3, not midi.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
If it's free sotware you're looking for, LMMS is like FL Studio's free little cousin. It's pretty decent and sufficient for most of anyone's needs.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
LMMS for player roll. MuseScore for notation. Audacity for mixing. This is your holy trinity of free music composition software.
If you want to do any mixing at all I highly suggest using a proper DAW, since Audacity is mostly just a track-editing tool. I recommend Reaper, which is basically free (it technically isn't, but it works kinda like WinRAR where you can keep using the "trial" forever without paying for the license). It also has a decent MIDI tool, though I'm not sure if it's as beginner-friendly as LMMS.
author=TungerManU
If you want to do any mixing at all I highly suggest using a proper DAW, since Audacity is mostly just a track-editing tool. I recommend Reaper, which is basically free (it technically isn't, but it works kinda like WinRAR where you can keep using the "trial" forever without paying for the license). It also has a decent MIDI tool, though I'm not sure if it's as beginner-friendly as LMMS.

I agree with this, and while I love Reaper, it's worth noting that it doesn't come with any midi patches by default. It only comes with a very basic synthesizer. So if you need string sounds, flutes, etc, then you will also need to acquire a .vst. Luckily, if you search "free midi vst", there are tons of them.
author=TungerManU
though I'm not sure if it's as beginner-friendly as LMMS.

but LMMS was an intimidating wall of confusion.

I opted for Mario Paint Composer.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=kentona
author=TungerManU
though I'm not sure if it's as beginner-friendly as LMMS.
but LMMS was an intimidating wall of confusion.

Yeah. If you figure it out, it becomes easy, but you have to figure it out first. Odds are, if you're used to composing in a piano roll format, you'll take to LMMS, but if you're more used to notation, you're going to go with MuseScore. When I say these are among the holy trinity, what I really mean is that you're going to use one or the other based on how you prefer to compose music, but you're not going to use both...like ever.

As for Reaper, umm, I got the free trial of Reaper and they specifically gave me a "readme" that told me that they used to be infinite trial, but not anymore. Regardless, it's as cheap as video games were a decade ago, so it's not a big deal, and the 30-day trial is more than enough to decide if you like it.

I like Reaper because it's the only DAW aside from FL Studio I've found that didn't have shitty latency with my MIDI controller. And unlike FL Studio, it's cheap.
There's a particular midi sequencing tool I found a while back called Sekaiju. A cool feature that it has is that it can read controller change 111 events as loop points, which are commonly used in the makers which have midi compatibility.

As for DAW's, synthfont is my go-to tool. The first version is free but the second one is cheap and gets semi-regular updates. Apparently it handles soundfonts better than FL Studio, tho I can't confirm that. It also lets you use VST effects, which really come in handy. I have a couple of echo and reverb effects I use on occasion.

Now, if you're willing to get your hand dirty and use a tracker, openMPT is just absolutely incredible. It can import and export into every common tracker format, back and forth midi, and render an audio file if needed. It is quite technical in places, considering you need to configure your samples and all, but for a free music program, it's hard to beat. If you don't like writing music in numbers, importing from midi works just fine (with mindful post-export edits) and then you can skip ahead to the sample assignment stage.
Mirak
Anything handles soundfonts better than default FL studio.
author=Mirak
Anything handles soundfonts better than default FL studio.

Can you elaborate? I've never had a problem using VSTs or plug-ins of any sort in FL Studio for the most part.
Mirak
FL studio has a native plug-in for soundfonts (which are NOT vst or plugins) called fruity lsd. It loads most soundfonts like SHIT. You need a vst that is capable of using soundfonts correctly, like sfz VST, which is free.

I'll clarify, FL studio is the absolute tits. That is what I use. I have never gone back to any inferior software. However, I will admit that, while FL studio is great for everything, it's default plugin for soundfonts (that is, the sfz format) sucks ass. But it's not really FL studio's fault, it is the fault of whoever made the lsd plugin. That one sucks. As long as you can get an alternate vst soundfont loader you'll be fine. Again I'll say it, FL studio rocks! It loads almost every vst and plugin imaginable and is still in my most humble opinion, the best of the commercial DAW's you can get. At least for PC users. I do not use Mac comps.
Oh, I see what you mean now. I actually didn't even know about fruity lsd, I've been using a free alternative this whole time.
Pages: 1