CUSTOM MESSAGE/TEXT BOXES

Pages: 1
This is a design question about a game's aesthetic. I'm having trouble deciding if custom message/text boxes are something I want to do in my game (a game that will eventually be sold commercially) to make it more unique.

Here is an example of RM2K3's default text box and my current custom one:

On the one hand, the default text box is easy to implement and quick to fix if needed, but I feel that it can be a bit boring having seen it for years and years.

On the other hand, a custom text box takes a little more effort to implement and must be done for every cutscene and NPC. It doesn't take up as large a portion of the screen as the default box does, plus it enters and exits the screen in a more unique way. Sure, it's as simple as the default text box, but I feel it may spice up the player experience just enough. My only concern with using the custom text box seen above is the box itself might feel a little too cramped, but I know some games pull that off just fine. Plus, there's no auto-positioning option where it doesn't obscure the player.

There are times in my game where, especially in the opening parts, there's a lot of text to get through for exposition reasons. I feel the text itself is written to be interesting enough, so I am ok with that aspect. Plus, the combination of music, sound effects, and sprite movements/animation spice up the cutscenes so their not tedious to read through most of the time, but I feel maybe a custom text box would help the game even more. It could also be that I've read the text numerous times and also am 100% familiar with the story, so the conversations between characters aren't as exciting. That's a thing, right?

In general, how do you folks feel about custom text boxes? Do you feel they add to the game's experience? Or do you think they're not necessary and really add nothing?
Depends on how they are used really.
I don't mind the standard, but a full set of custom-menus does tend to stand out, and feel more polished. (usually because they are used with an intention or artistic baseline in mind, seeing how they are more work).
I adore tiny little details like that, and I do feel they add up. But I'm also just a sucker for details (GIMME THOSE GOOD SOUNDS PLS).

I've heard though that feature creep often occurs when the creator gets bored of their old content which does seem to be happening? (i forgot who said it, but it was in a recent work-flow thread, and it was good advice).

Anyway: custom text boxes aren't necessary, especially when a lot of other menus remain un-tweaked, but can make the game feel more polished (especially when used with intent and alongside other custom things). You will get used to the text boxes and stop paying attention to how they're presented after a couple of minutes. If your text is fine, it's fine.

Seeing how you are making this with going commercial in mind, I say it adds something in the marketing department, as it does separate your work just enough... But then it really is just a tiny difference. (read: demonstrate skill in doing things beyond the default options). One might wonder if people without much experience might overlook this one, given that the aesthetic style remains the same and it's more the spacing that changes.
In the end it comes down to your workflow and style. Maybe make it a stretch-goal? Maybe don't do it if time is already tight? Maybe do it if you want to polish it up more? Who knows!

Curious how other people feel about this one tho~
I've decided to go with the default text box, but I made a nifty sound effect to accompany its appearance on screen. I'm liking the result.
Pages: 1