[RM2K3] CATERPILLAR EVENTING

Pages: 1
Punkitt
notorious rpgmaker 2k3 shill
Hi y'all! I'm working on trying to get a caterpillar script to work in vanilla RM2k3, no DynRPG. I have a system that swaps out different party members (there's six total, counting the PC, who never leaves the party.) Is there a caterpillar script that can do that? Or can someone help me out with making one?
I recently accomplished this.

First, I needed to make a map template which had the caterpillar events on it. This is an important step, because I need to control the events using their ID, and the ID has to be the same on every map. (When you make one event, it's ID 1, then the next event is ID 2, etc...) So, every map I make should start out as a copy of this map template.

These events would be kept out of the way until the player is being controlled on the map; then, the events would be sent to the player's location, and their graphics would be changed to represent who is in the party at that time. Now, I have to record the player's movements, and send that movement to the next person in the caterpillar. Then, when the player moves again, that move gets sent down the caterpillar train. I send the movements down the caterpillar train every time the player inputs a direction key.

Make sure that the events are below the player, so that you can double back over the caterpillar train.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
https://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/256/

This is the only caterpillar system you will ever need for 2k3.

Follow the instructions to make four follow. Keep adding events for each follower, new variables, and switches as needed, and increasing variables as needed.
kentona
I am tired of Earth. These people. I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives.
im relevant again!
pianotm
kentona
im relevant again!

As long as developers use 2k3, you will never be irrelevant.
Punkitt
notorious rpgmaker 2k3 shill
Thank y'all! Does it allow for reading which party member is in the party? That "swapping out members" part is really important to the game.
pianotm
Well, how are you swapping party members? Wouldn't you just have switches for each members? The caterpiller system needs each party member to have their own event page. Just give everyone their own switch and turn the pages on and off as you need to. Kenton's tute already gives instructions for adding and removing party members, and even if it didn't, it becomes obvious how you'd do it once you're into building the system. Just turn pages on and off as you need them.
I made this in 2012. With Kentona tutorial as base
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OSzRkGnhn6Y

The swap is mainly changing npc sprites based in the characters when they join if I remember.
The code is a mess btw I uploaded all,
with many functions, maybe the link now is down.
Pages: 1