EXPLANATION VIDEO RE: YOUTUBE'S CURRENT "FOR KIDS" ISSUES

Pages: 1
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
So, there's been a lot of confusion about the new "OMG what do you mean I have to pay forty thousand dollars if a kid watches my channel?!" policies for YouTube.

Here's a good video that thoroughly explains what's going on, and the problems surrounding it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuScIN4emyo
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Hmm...this video seems to put the onus entirely on Google and Youtube. I prefer this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv0xp8ZLneg
To be fair, all the onus of the fuck-up on youtube is on youtube. They're the ones who broke the law that didn't allow targetting children with adverts, deliberately, and they're the ones who are now pushing the blame for that on those who use their services.

you'll notice that other streaming and such sites don't seem to be having the big ol fuckup that youtube is currently having because they don't use as big a fucked up automation system to check their videos. Of course, most of them aren't as huge as youtube, but the onus is still on how they've set up their advertising, not the people making videos.

For those confused it's pretty much this:
- Youtube is getting into trouble (and sharing the trouble around) because they advertised to children when there are laws against that.

- If you want any adverts on your videos you need to mark your channel as non-child friendly. Problem is that that's fine if you are a channel that isn't child-friendly but...

- If you make any content that is child-friendly in any way, you need to mark them as such so that children don't get ads thrown at them. It means you miss out on any advert revenue but the law exists so sucks to be you, making kid-friendly vids. Soz.

- People are still dumb and think games and anime and such are 'for kids' so you need to mark that it's not if it's not or some idiot parent is going to go on a tirade about how their kids' watching animu and it had adverts but let's ignore the blood and sex scenes that was part of their cartoon shall we? >.>

I'm honestly thinking of starting every one of my videos with a good old "HEY YA CUNTS!" just to get that kid-friendly thought out of the way with a bang.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Yeah, let's just ignore that the FTC totally decided not to make Youtube comply with the law after fining Google so that they could go after individual channels.

EDIT: Oh! And that's the beauty of the rule! They're not looking at whether or not you cuss like a sailor. They're looking at whether or not your video is attractive to kids.
The only good that will come out of this is the destruction of elsagate.
But otherwise, I feel as if it's a parent's responsibility to have their child watch appropriate media. And they shouldn't punish content creators for just featuring a thing "for children".

If it gets passed it'd be freaking funny if the bots detect something not at all kid friendly as kid friendly. That way parents will get more angry, in spite of the fact that it's their fault for not monitoring their young impressionable child.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Unsupervised internet usage + Certain words in Google search bar = Easy access to definitely not kid friendly material.

The FTC should look into search engines while they're at it. I mean, they are targeted to all audiences and can basically find anything you want.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Cringinsid
But otherwise, I feel as if it's a parent's responsibility to have their child watch appropriate media. And they shouldn't punish content creators for just featuring a thing "for children".

It's not the issue whether something is inappropriate for children. The issue is that youtube has been tracking children's data, which is against the law. There is absolutely nothing ANY parent could possibly do to prevent that, particularly since YT never let anyone know.

This is not a "Personal Responsiblity" thing. It's 100% Youtube doing something they weren't supposed to do, that they knew they weren't supposed to do, and doing it anyway.
author=pianotm
EDIT: Oh! And that's the beauty of the rule! They're not looking at whether or not you cuss like a sailor. They're looking at whether or not your video is attractive to kids.

That's the scary thing.

Youtube / the FTC / tHe AlGoRiThM might be like "Your video is animated or plays Nintendo games, or is otherwise colorful, therefore it is child friendly" when really, it's not supposed to be for kids.

Like, I'm honestly worried most for Overly Sarcastic Productions, as they animate their history/literature/etc videos with gorgeous sketchwork, and their stuff is both educational and HIGHLY entertaining.

Like, the obvious solution would be to have "Youtube Kids" accounts that don't show ads or gather data, no?

But then again, EVERYONE would flag their accounts as that so that they'd be able to skip the ads, right? (At least those who haven't yet discovered how to do that the way everyone else does)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Liberty
If you make any content that is child-friendly in any way, you need to mark them as such so that children don't get ads thrown at them.
This is backwards. Nothing is ever required to be marked as child-friendly. It's just something optional you can add if you are specifically creating content for young children, like Sesame Street type stuff. Parental controls can be set to only let kids see things that are marked as child-friendly, so if that's the type of channel you have, it's beneficial to mark it as such.

If you make normal content for general audiences, then nothing has changed. If you make content that is specifically only for children, then still nothing has changed. The only situation in which anything has changed is if you incorrectly set your content as being for young children when it's not. In which case you will get demonetized until you fix it.

author=Aegix_Drakan
Like, the obvious solution would be to have "Youtube Kids" accounts that don't show ads or gather data, no?
That is exactly how Youtube works now and has worked for years, actually. Well, they still show ads; there are just laws about what TYPE of ads you can show on a channel that's specifically targeted at children.

author=Aegix_Drakan
But then again, EVERYONE would flag their accounts as that so that they'd be able to skip the ads, right?
Such accounts only see videos that are marked as being for children, which means all you'll get in your search results are Sesame Street knock-offs. So no, nobody does that.

None of this is anything Youtube is doing on purpose, by the way. This change is being mandated by the federal government. It's all good changes, though. I mean, it's one good change, because there's really only one change. Which is that if you set your content to show up for young children with parental controls turned on, they've started checking whether or not you're lying about what type of content you make.
The issue is that you have to set your videos as mature, and even then, they throw videos that appeal to children at them - if it looks like it's for a child (animation, bright colours, etc).

Youtube's checker is shitballs and people are worried that their videos are going to show up on the children's side of the fence and get them in trouble because of youtube's algorithms letting anime, games and such through. Since their videos would be marked as mature, they'd have ads associated on them, and then the kids would watch and get ads.

And then they'd get a huge ass fine for it.

That's why everyone's spinning out - the huge-ass fines.

And no, kids youtube doesn't have ads anymore - that's what the law is causing trouble with, ads aimed at children. Since youtube had it set so that ads would show up just for kids on videos that were deemed appropriate for them, (even if they weren't) they were seen to be exploiting kids and thus breaking that law.

So they decided on this instead of doing the whole Kids Youtube thing and enforcing that.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

How about at the start of each video you have a screen and you say, "This video is not appropriate for children."

Would that get you out of this loophole? Disclaimers work for other pieces of Media.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I'm a toy collector and watch a lot of toy reviews and that kind of thing. I know all of them are freaking out. Because toy related stuff has to be for children? I guess?
OK, good. So if we don't have ads on our videos, it doesn't matter if it's marked kid-friendly or not. I'm safe. ;-)
author=Liberty
To be fair, all the onus of the fuck-up on youtube is on youtube. They're the ones who broke the law that didn't allow targetting children with adverts, deliberately, and they're the ones who are now pushing the blame for that on those who use their services.

I agree pretty much entirely and w/o reservation.

author=Liberty
you'll notice that other streaming and such sites don't seem to be having the big ol fuckup that youtube is currently having because they don't use as big a fucked up automation system to check their videos. Of course, most of them aren't as huge as youtube, but the onus is still on how they've set up their advertising, not the people making videos.

However, I think if youtube's competitors aren't getting this slap on the wrist, it's most likely because:

a) They never figured out a way they thought would let them get away with this, so they never tried it.
b) They are doing it, but on a scale in proportion to their overall operation, so the FTC made YouTube a priority because it's so much larger and also so as to make an example out of it.

I just wouldn't think for a second that it's because they respect children's privacy or anything crazy like that. These are corporations we're talking about. This is only happening at all because YouTube got caught, in essence, spying on kids.

author=ThatVideoSoozLinked
"...bluntly implementing an algorithmically driven system that automatically designates content as "For Kids" based on oblique, overly broad criteria ... generating a huge volume of false positives..."

I mean, deciding what is or is not "For Kids" on the basis of oblique, overly broad criteria that generate a huge volume of false positives has been going on literally my entire life. That is just the way that things are labeled as being for kids or not: stupidly and badly. The only difference now is that a) it's being handled by an algorithm so it's even stupider than usual and now is effing up a whole bunch of content creators' operations and monetization at once.
Pages: 1