DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY RM GAMES IN THE SUPERHERO GENRE BESIDES MASTER OF THE WIND & OUTLAW CITY?

Pages: 1
I'm sorry but I literally cannot think of anything even slightly meaningful to write in the body of this post that isn't already in the subject. : /

Um I...wasn't sure if this should go here or in Videogames?

So...does anyone know of any RM games in the superhero genre besides Master of the Wind & Outlaw City?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Well, I dunno about "superheroes", but, there's a few "magical girl" games I know. Remie and Alana is one such game, as far as I know. Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Uchioniko. I keep thinking about maybe remaking that, but, alas, there is no motivation/energy for it.
I feel like Marvel Brothel doesn't count, but I'm going to bring it up anyway.
Yeah, magical girl doesn't count and...I had forgotten Marvel Brothel was a thing, but that doesn't count either I'm like...lookin' for a game where you do super heroe stuff, not one where you're wolverine's pimp lol.

It just seems a little stunning to me that after all this time the supes genre is almost totally unrepresented in the RM scene. I remember 10 years ago me and others bitching that everything was fantasy but scifi and horror caught up since then. Can superheroes really just have those two games?

P.S. Did Marvel Brothel ever get taken down by Marvel? It'd be a minor miracle if it hadn't. I'm not looking to play it, but Disney-Marvel have a reputation for being real assholes about their IP so I'd be stunned if it was still up. They have sued people for WAY less damaging things.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=kentona
I got an email from Marvel's lawyers over a game here on RMN called 'Marvel Brothel'. We took the game down.

*Edit: Source.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
badluck was making one called Starlancer 6 but he consumed the dungeons/maps for Rise of the Third Power instead :shrug:
so basically, I'm getting the impression that yes, it is an incredibly underrepresented genre in RM, not just me it seems that way too?

I mean, it's pretty darn absent from mainstream & AAA videogames, but it looks positively plentiful over there compared to over here.

*wants to make a superhero game...maybe...one day...probably more in theory than in practice*
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well, a superhero RPG doesn't make a ton of sense. Because superheroes don't start off weak and get strong through experience. They gain their power all at once through a freak accident or a genetic mutation. Also the camera angle that's built into RPG Maker's exploration and areas is a very bad fit for characters who can fly.

So if you made a superhero RPG using RPG Maker, it would have to be a group of street-tier heroes, who can't fly, and whose powers probably mostly come from either arcane knowledge they've uncovered, or from technological weapons and tools, or from magic artifacts they've found and are gradually learning to use. Maybe you could have incredible powers from a science experiment or accident that the character can only use 1% of the time, and has to learn to fight without for the rest of the game, so they still need to level up. And... at that point I'm not actually sure how that's different from any other modern fantasy game. Is Iniquity & Vindication a superhero game?

Shit, is Final Fantasy 7 a superhero game? The only difference between FF7 and Marvel's Defenders or X-Men is that one is based on a comic book.
The only one I played is an old comedic italian rpg called StrangeTale. You have a team of five dumb characters: one is a gadgeteer, another (named Purger) is the equivalent of the Punisher, the third is a uber samurai, then there is a girl that uses elemental powers and a fat nerd... that later in the game gets powers from a dying masked superhero and becomes Fatman.

See the trailer...

It is a long and weird game that parodies many other things besides the superheroes.

Then there is maybe the german Endzeit in which you play as "Kaptain Atom" but it's more post apocalyptic... (they are the same that made "Moloch City", I think the only Rm noir/gangster game I have ever seen)

But yes it's an uncommon genre...
author=LockeZ
Well, a superhero RPG doesn't make a ton of sense. Because superheroes don't start off weak and get strong through experience. They gain their power all at once through a freak accident or a genetic mutation. Also the camera angle that's built into RPG Maker's exploration and areas is a very bad fit for characters who can fly.

So if you made a superhero RPG using RPG Maker, it would have to be a group of street-tier heroes, who can't fly, and whose powers probably mostly come from either arcane knowledge they've uncovered, or from technological weapons and tools, or from magic artifacts they've found and are gradually learning to use. Maybe you could have incredible powers from a science experiment or accident that the character can only use 1% of the time, and has to learn to fight without for the rest of the game, so they still need to level up. And... at that point I'm not actually sure how that's different from any other modern fantasy game. Is Iniquity & Vindication a superhero game?

Shit, is Final Fantasy 7 a superhero game? The only difference between FF7 and Marvel's Defenders or X-Men is that one is based on a comic book.

I think that your conception of both what RPGs can be and what superhero stories can be are both somewhat narrow.

Because superheroes don't start off weak and get strong through experience. They gain their power all at once through a freak accident or a genetic mutation.

Yes and no. They then have to learn to use that power. Every Spiderman reboot has had scenes of Peter Parker/Miles Morales learning to be Spiderman.

Even Iron Man has substantial power creep over the course of the Avengers films and his own films. In the comics, I'm sure the writers give him whatever powers he needs for the story's sake, but in the movies he starts powerful and...steadily get smore powerful.

But the other thing is..."zero to hero" is not the only way to handle an RPG Progression. Characters don't even need to level up. You could do it skill tree driven instead.

So if you made a superhero RPG using RPG Maker, it would have to be a group of street-tier heroes, who can't fly, and whose powers probably mostly come from either arcane knowledge they've uncovered, or from technological weapons and tools, or from magic artifacts they've found and are gradually learning to use.

See, this is something you do whilst arguing which I find more than slightly annoying. This paragraph assumes that I accept all of your prior arguments, which I (respectfully) don't.

Maybe you could have incredible powers from a science experiment or accident that the character can only use 1% of the time, and has to learn to fight without for the rest of the game, so they still need to level up.

Again, it is like you cannot conceive of an RPG where you don't level up in a traditional way. I'm sure you CAN conceive of that, but you're arguing from a stance as though you can't.

You have a valid point on the flying thing but just off the top of my head I can think of a few ways around it (strictly speaking, RM games are not anchored to any one perspective although implementing a non-default perspective is tricky).

I disagree. In Final Fantasy VII the original videogame, the PCs are more like a Shadowrun party than superheroes. They're cyberpunk rebels with magic who eventualyl grow powerful enough to take on the baddies.

Now, in Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, the feats they are capable of are so jaw dropping and over the top that at that point, yes, it might as well be a marvel superhero movie.

I haven't played Iniquity & Vindication...wait, yes I have, that's yours, right? I think I remember that one giving me more of a Die Hard style dumb 80s action movie feel than a superhero one.
author=LockeZ
Well, a superhero RPG doesn't make a ton of sense. Because superheroes don't start off weak and get strong through experience. They gain their power all at once through a freak accident or a genetic mutation.

Well the games Freedom Force (and sequel) and Superhero, League of Hoboken (ok this was more an adventure/rpg disguised as superhero game) were nice superhero rpgs. Not Rm games, of course, but Rpg is a medium, not a genre (they even did a beat em up with the X-men, so why not?). It can work.
author=LockeZ
Well, a superhero RPG doesn't make a ton of sense. Because superheroes don't start off weak and get strong through experience. They gain their power all at once through a freak accident or a genetic mutation.

Most super hero games I can think of have progression systems (batman arkham, spiderman ps4, infamous, prototype) and a lot of super heroes have origin stories where they're not quite there yet. And yeah Freedom Force is probably the pitch perfect example of customizing super powers.

The problem is when you get to a character like Superman, who is basically god. Regardless of game engine or budget, you have to often compromise the story to make things balanced. Or find some weird reason why the player can't just laser a bunch of civilians in an open world game which would contradict the actual character. There's also a weird juxaposition as to why Black Widow's kicks would do the same damage as Thor's hammer in a beat-em-up game (Makes sense in-game, jarring narrative wise). That did not stop people from making games with that problem though. The solution of course is to just make up your own super hero that doesn't have narrative vs game constrictions.

As for RPG Maker, I'm gonna say just in general the JRPG and Comic Book audiences don't overlap much (in a hardcore sense). I see a lot of JRPGs taking from manga more than anything ( there are tons of anime fan-games that have super sentai elements), which do feature a lot of the same design/narrative problems you'd run into with the above paragraph. So I don't think the unpopularity is due to some practical foresight just that... super heroes aren't cool to us or why we didn't get into RPGs. Though there's probably something to the flight thing.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I can conceive of it, I just think it would require a relatively unusual approach to either RPGs or superheroes, which is why it's not common. I wasn't trying to explain why I thought it was a bad idea, just my theory on why there aren't very many of them.

I still don't see what the difference is between FF7 and a superhero RPG. Your main characters include two genetically augmented humans, one genetically augmented demihuman, one cybernetically augmented human, one genius inventor who fights with battle robots, and one humanoid who's the last of an ancient race and has mystical powers as a result. In other words, Cloud is Daredevil, Vincent is Hulk, Red XIII is Rocket Raccoon, Barret is Cyborg, Reeve is Iron Man, and Aeris is Martian Manhunter.

Tifa, Yuffie and Cid are normal human sidekicks, but have enough specialized training and tools to be able to keep up with the others, which is pretty easy since they're all street-level superheroes. They have power levels that more closely match Iron Fist and Captain America than Iron Man and Wonder Woman. Which means that, like Iron Fist's girlfriend Colleen Wing, Tifa can almost keep up with Cloud in a fight.

So the heroes have the types of powers that superheroes have, and they act heroically. Does that not make them superheroes? It's even in a modern setting. Shinra is basically LexCorp. I guess it's not set on Earth though. Is that a requirement?

I'm being 100% honest here when I say that I legitimately think the only thing that differentiates the superhero genre from the modern fantasy genre is whether or not it was released as a comic book first.
I think the thematic trappings are important to keep in mind. If the characters are balancing double lives as people vs superheroes, mask up when its time for action, the characters have picturesque bodies, and the story takes place in a somewhat modern setting its probably a superhero story. Superheroes usually don't wield a sword and magic either. There are exceptions, obviously! From there the gameplay can probably be designed around the narrative easily enough. Visually it might be harder, but definitely doable!

FF7 gives a lot of different vibes, thematically so definitely not super heroes although I agree that in substance Cloud and Co are more superhero than not.
I really associate super heroes with needing a contemporary setting that enforces some secret identity rule or super powers being a rarity and unbelievable thing. If people are selling magic in the shops and it's common to kill monsters or if theres some kind of society collapse, then the super hero motif feels pretty bare. Sure tons of comic media do all kinds of tropes that I mentioned, but then once you leave the contemporary setting hopping planet to planet, dimension to dimension it's just gonna be sci-fi fantasy to me (hence late MCU or Guardians).
Pages: 1