YEAR-END 2019 MISAO DISCUSSION.

Pages: 1
How to Vote on the Misaos
1.Login to RMN
2.Go to the gamepage of the game you wish to vote on.
3.Click "Nominate"
4.Select the categories you wish for the game to win in.
5.Hit "Save".

Nominations Begin: NOW till Dec 31st
Voting Starts: On Jan 1st - 31st.

(Previous thread: mid-year misao discussion by Darken)

...Wow, what a year it`s been. A lot of people are saying 2019 was a great year for the misaos. I genuinely agree. Since Darken is busy working on the excellent, the machine that BREATHES, I thought I'd continue the cool thread he originally started back in June, with an end-year misao discussion thread and just talk about the games we`ve played this year. To get things started, I thought I'd mention some of the possible highlights, as well as games I`ve played, but also focus on other games you guys have mentioned, that others may not have gotten around to yet. But yeah, just talk about games you`ve played this year and I'll try to compile them into a near list for 2019 etc.

So in no particular order:

Grimm`s Hollow by Ghost Hunter

Don't let the cute and colorful screenshots fool you. Underneath the bright and colorful exterior of Grimm's Hollow is a dark and powerful game. You play as Lavender. A recently deceased, spirit reaper, who struggles to save her little brother's soul from the machinations of the after life. The game plays like a mix between Paper Mario and Fatal Frame/DemonSouls: Your main attack in the game is a QTE called "Swing", a deadly scythe attack, that is able to deal critical damage to any foe by pressing down on your keyboard, at the right time - Without giving too much away, I really enjoyed this game. I love the the story, the battle system, the animations and how GH was able to use the new picture-in-battles feature in order to craft the game they wanted to create in RM2003. While the game is short, at only 3 levels long and the QTEs can get complicated during the later levels, minor bugs aside, I really love how well rounded and complete this game feels. Grimm`s Hollow makes me look forward to the future games made in rpgmaker2003 now that the engine has finally been released in English. Great Stuff! -- LordBlueRouge

Possible Nominations
(Star Stealing Prince - Best Original Graphics)
(Excellence in Narrative - Best Story)
(Summoner of Sounds - Best Sound Track)
(Game of the Year - Game of 2019)

Theia: The Crimson Eclipse by LolloRocketDiver

Given that it's been featured, this game needs little introduction. It's an epic Italian RPG Maker game recently translated and fully playable in English! I've been playing it off and on and it's really a treat, feels like a super pretty RM game you'd see posted in screenshot topics never to be released because of how polished it is. Only now it exists! I enjoy a lot of the visual details and how the animations all come together, there's some pretty cool stuff. I'll probably post more opinions when I get farther into the game, I've also been meaning to set this up to be played on my TV with a SNES controller because I'm one of those people -- Darken

Possible Nominations
("Eye Candy" Award - Best Graphics)
(The "How the Hell Did They Do That?" - Most Technical Prowess)

Villnoire by LittleWingGuy

"Wait people still make games like this?" Yeah man, yeah man, they do. Rocking the FSM chipsets and settling for nothing less than ambition. The game quietly made itself to 80% completion and while that might be some bs a teenager would put in their gamingW sig years ago... I choose to believe. Your so called rational mind will lack the glory of being right on the money when you see that bright green Completed status one day -- EDIT: the prophecy came true -- Darken

Probably the only game that stands a chance against Theia this year. Either way, it looks amazing and I'm sure it's gonna win a good bunch of misaos too. -- Frogge

Haven't gotten too far in this, but the first dungeon has an interesting twist: you come across a wounded soldier, that you need to revive, long enough, in order for them to help you take down the first boss. Very cool!! -- LordBlueRouge

Possible Nominations
(Not Dead Yet Award - Best Old Game That Was Finished This Year)
("Everlasting Journey" Award - Game With The Most Content)
(Dark Souls Award - Best Challenge/Puzzles)

DEAD AGAIN by Smokingspoonr

Originally finished in 2013 - made in 1 month, working 12 hours a day, everyday, non-stop - DEAD AGAIN, is a short survival horror game that utilizes an incredibly unique turn based battle system made in rpgmaker2003, where zombies approach you, every 2 turns, and you can either pick them off with your firearm, or take them all out with your bat, if they're close enough.-- I love this game. Even after finding every single ending, I still find myself going to play DEAD AGAIN for a few minutes a day, just to see if I can uncover something new to explore and attempt to obtain that perfect "zombie outbreak run". A lot of attention to detail here, very well done! There's just something exhilarating about seeing all those zombies moving all at once in rpgmaker2003. Be sure to check Smokingspoonr's other game Dandelion as well. -- LordBlueRouge.

Possible Nominations
(Punniest Game Alive - Funniest Game)
(The Kentona Award - An Overlooked Game That Needs More Recognition)

Cresecent Prism: Chapter 1 by Sgt M

In Crescent Prism, the game follows Lunita, a silent protagonist and also a young child. On the day before the Crescent Festival, the Summoner's Rod goes missing and Lunita is tasked with travelling into the local shopkeeper's basement to recover it from a putty pup named Maru. This game, to put it simply, is beautiful, from the graphics, to the music, to the map design, and right back around again. It's got that Torch60 flare we've all come to love with Soma Spirits and Brave Hero Yuusha EX, especially in the graphics department. In combat, Lunita is a mage with white and black magic. Maru, a dog, is a brawler who can beg or “steal” to give party buffs. Amos is a gunslinger who can use AOE attacks with a chance of inflicting status ailments and Rain, can scan and debuff enemies, while also creating bots that can attack or heal during battle. But what's unique about Crescent Prism, are the moon phases: Throughout the game, the moon changes into 4 distinct phases, drastically altering enemy behavior or granting special stat boosts to the party at the start of battle, through special zodiac items that Lunita & co. have obtained: Like, the bulbs you fight in the second dungeon, will turn into flowers during a full moon, or during this cave section, the moon alters how effective your regular attacks are, so it's better to just use magic, once the moon shifts to a new moon. However, it's the boss battles, where this moon mechanic in Crescent Prism truly shines. The first boss teaches you how to use the moon to your advantage, whereas the second boss will have you prioritizing who to attack and when, while solely relying on the phases of the moon -- todpole & Starspire

Possible Nominations
(Summoner of Sounds - Best Sound Track)

No Delivery by horror_n_oates

No Delivery is by far the weirdest, but surprisingly addicting, most trippiest game I've played of 2019. The game kind of plays like, if Silent Hill, met the Mach Pizza Guy from Earthbound, who then decided to play Blizzard's Diablo together. You play as a manager, of a fast food pizza restaurant, who hires various characters of different strengths and abilities to handle the night shift. It's like a Survival Horror game, but with an economy, where you can actually trade the items you hoard. And this is what makes the game so incredibly addicting: You'll find yourself going back to earlier levels to gather food, items from monsters, pieces of trash and earning money from your day shift, all so you can run into that one guy in the alley way, whose willing to trade you 9mm ammo or more dishes for your Ninja-Throwing-Dish-Waitress, so you can take down the more difficult monsters that are waiting for you at the end of each venue. The coolest moment for me was, The 2nd Stage, where you have to go through an arcade themed dungeon, but each monster you run into, is an arcade machine based on a universal movie monster. So like, if you run into the Dracula Arcade Cabinet, the game gives you a brief excerpt from the film, Dracula, before you have to fight off it's Possessed Pixelated Polybius Poltergeist - The game is filled with haunted amusement park attractions like this. Very cool, really well done! -- LordBlueRouge

Possible Nominations
(Trippiest Game - Weirdest Game of 2019)
(Most Promising Demo)

Where The Moon Goes At Night by 16bitking

Shiba the salaryman falls asleep one morning while taking the train to work, and ends up stuck on the mysterious Tatentai Island. Like a sort of Alice in Wonderland (or Dorothy in Oz, if you prefer), he meets strange creatures, some hostile monsters and later, different factions. There are other humans too, but like Shiba, they are strangers in a strange land, and as you can guess, the final objective is just trying to return home! Graphics are pretty, full of colours, incredibly detailed, and they are also, all custom! Clearly a lot of effort has been put into this, and the results are impressive: the different locations are diverse and filled with little touches, yet bizarre and familiar all at the same time. There's also a clever use of sound here: whenever you arrive at a new destination, the sound of train brakes can be heard and later on, a T-minus count down initial sequence begins the moment you arrive on the moon. Three difficulty levels, two different endings, one weird adventure: this is Where The Moon Goes At Night, a nice little game with a lot of style. A short, easy and enjoyable experience that left me wishing for more adventures on Tatentai Island... and No, that isn't a giant mobile phone on the battlefield, this is a special move, Shiba's strongest attack! -- The RpgMakerAddict

Possible Nominations

Country of Snow by MacBob

A spiritual sequel to last year's cult classic "I Want to Bring Her Back to Life but I Don't Know Where to Start" If you like 2000-ish experimental SquareSoft games like Parasite Eve or Vargrant Story or even Kingdom Hearts:Chain of Memories, Country of Snow is definitely worth a look. It has this really interesting turn based mechanic in the game, that I haven't really seen in a whole lot of rpgs since, but it only becomes apparent, when you're playing on Hard Mode: When you press SHIFT during battle, the game allows you to look the enemy's stats, as well as view the enemy's turn gauge located at the top right corner -- Like, if the enemy's turn number is 27, and you have a weaker, quicker attack that uses 13 points. You can use that weak attack twice, and follow it up with a strong attack or guard, before the enemy's turn. I found myself actually having to write down, what the enemy's turn sequence was, before hand, so I could study it, Guard at the right time to reset the turn counter, and then plan my attacks accordingly, in order to take down the tougher bosses -- I did not expect to like this demo as much as I did. Like a lot of games this year for 2019, Country of Snow really surprised me with it's intricate but very unique custom battle system. Definitely check this one out! Really good contender for Most Promising Demo for the Misaos. -- LordBlueRouge

Possible Nominations
(Most Promising Demo)

SIAM by Sooya

SIAM is an interactive story about the future of AI at work. You've been working as a programmer for many years and you sent a request for rest at the company management. Your request got declined and the management sent SIAM to help you. Your work consists of reading numbers from envelopes and typing them in: exactly the type of boring task a programmer would automate. But here you're forced to perform it manually and enter the number without any convenient numeric pad but using arrow keys. Sooya carefully chooses 6 digits numbers so that by the time you're about done entering the number, you start to doubt the last digits. You also have access to a permanent mini-game where you must put your cursor above empty circles and avoid filled circles to earn Bitz. The circles move in random directions at just the right speed to present a fair challenge using the arrow keys. You can spend the Bitz you earned from work or play to buy gifts for SIAM and download files that move the story forward. You can also buy access to the news for a very reasonable price. Most of the clues about what's going on in this game come from you interactions with SIAM. Her dialog is very well written and she features a lot of eyes and mouth expressions in rpgmaker2003. Overall SIAM was a very interesting experience that raise questions about working conditions of AI and what would happen if they develop self-awareness. However if you want the best experience out of SIAM, you should stop reading this review and play the game -- Irog

SIAM can be completed in around 15 mins. One of the more interesting experiences to come out of 2019 -- LordBlueRouge

I loved the ending cinematics! -- JapoZero

Possible Nominations
(Best First Game - Awarded to Developers First Game)

El Arte by Mirak for the TimTamSlamJam Event

Oh boy, how do you review a game like El Arte? The very notion of reviewing it seems to go against the fabric of its very creation... but here we go! Narratively you take on the role of what I can only assume is a bright orange penis (with a face so its okay) that wants to understand art. The gameplay itself consists almost entirely of moving slowly to the right (except for that one time when you walk left AND THEN right... and then up) and selecting dialogue options to see what chaos unfolds. Some of the results of these choices are funnier than others but with comedy being subjective thats always going to be the case. El Arte is a top tier mid 2000s Newgrounds shitpost, it just so happens to be made in RPG Maker instead of in Flash MX. Its not a game for everyone, its not a game for most people really, but for those of you out there that are just looking for something stupid to kill 30 minutes with, well, you could do a hell of a lot worse than El Arte -- visitorsfromdreams

Possible Nominations
(Best Event Game - Best Even Game of 2019)
(Punniest Game Alive - Funniest Game of 2019)

Steamed Hams, but it's RPGMAKER2003! by LordBlueRouge

The meme game to cap off the decade of what we thought was a good idea to make youtube edits of. It's actually quite enjoyable playing this and being amazed that this is happening inside of an RPG_RT and almost checking to see that this isn't some elaborate mole box prank. As someone who's seen all that RM2K3 has to offer, it's cool to see the amount of detail that went into condensing all of this inside of rm2k3's rather limited (and "beloved") default battle system. -- Darken

Possible Nominations
(Punniest Game Alive - Funniest Game of 2019)
(Best Game Title - Best Game Title of 2019)
(The "How the Hell Did They Do That?" - Best Technical Award)

(UNDER CONSTRUCTION - MORE TO COME!)
TLDR; I don't have a whole lot of time, But this month, I wanna to try and gather up all the games we have this year that might be eligible for a few misaos and maybe write something about them. So peeps can check them out and we have a nice comprehensive list of misao contenders. There's a lot of stuff I missed this year. So I want to use this thread to try and fill in the blanks, before nominations close. If you know of any great games we missed, name them, maybe write a small paragraph about them, I'll add them to the list.

Games to Add:
- Grimm's Hollow
- Theia
- DEAD AGAIN
- Country of Snow
- Crescent Prism**
-No Delivery
-Pilgrim's Road**
-Slimes***
-Villnoire (looking for good review or cool comments)
-Where The Moon Goes At Night
-Exile's Journey (?)
-Yggdrasil Chronicles - A Tale of Cindrivia
-Turovero, The Celestial Tower
-Fired Ham's rpgmaker vignettes
-Baclyae Revolution
-A Figment of Discord
-Final Fantasy:Sky Warriors(Lawsuit Award)
Final Fantasy 7 - Regenesis (Lawsuit Award: Awarded to aggressive use of copyrighted material)
-DeadlyWoods
-El Arte
-shooty & the catfish Ep 1 & 2
-Siam***
-Pilgrim's Road
-Steamed Hams but it's in rpgmaker2003
-A Rat's Journey - Homeward (Owl Contender)
-Bunker 9 (Owl Contender)

More Possible Misao Games
Cap_H's 2019 playlist
Theme Roulette 2 Games (2019)

Event Games of 2019:
TimTamSlamJam Games
Theme Roulette 2 Games
Abrupt Ending Party Games
A Rainbow of Positivity Games
Release the Dead Games
Review Misao Nominee Games

-year of the owl games

Note: If there's a game you played on RMN this year, that you feel deserves more attention, that's not on the list above - mention it now!

Special Thanks to:
Darken
Liberty
Marrend
Cap_H
TheRpgMakerAddict.
(and many more to add)
for helping me put this together

EDIT: Taking a small break from this. Workers are coming next week to reinstall insulation. Please list any other games you feel are overlooked for the misaos.
Holy shit is that Turovero in the logo collage???? :O!!!
author=QZProductions
Holy shit is that Turovero in the logo collage???? :O!!!
Yeesss! XDD
Marrend
Guardian Gorgon of the Description Thread
Would support/nominate Grimm's Hollow. I had the opportunity to beta test for it, and it was pretty cool, even if I couldn't quite finish it. It seemed to come outta nowhere, and snagged the feature last month. Not that I minded that!

*Edit: I played a number of Theme Roulette 2 games. Certainly not all of them. I keep meaning to play the rest, but, well. ;_;

*Edit2: Speaking of, the number of games that qualify for the Year of the Owl award seems limited to, like, retroexcellent's A Rat's Journey - Homeward and my own Bunker 9? I don't feel Bunker 9 is even all that good of a game. Unless there are games in December that can be nominated in this category, I feel retro's game should win that award but Theia will end up winnig it regardless.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Great picks so far! I'll be hanging around this thread and probably commenting on stuff. One game, you should definitely mention is Crescent Prism. Sgt. is one of the more prominent RMN devs and the game's reception rivals his previous games, which managed to win countless Misaos (both Soma Spirits and Brave Hero Yuusha ended up winning GOTY)

An interview with Ghost Hunter is coming, I've been little too busy to finish it in proper month. Meanwhile you can read satisfy yourself with this over at rpgmgames tumblr.
author=Cap_H
Great picks so far! I'll be hanging around this thread and probably commenting on stuff. One game, you should definitely mention is Crescent Prism. Sgt. is one of the more prominent RMN devs and the game's reception rivals his previous games, which managed to win countless Misaos (both Soma Spirits and Brave Hero Yuusha ended up winning GOTY)

An interview with Ghost Hunter is coming, I've been little too busy to finish it in proper month. Meanwhile you can read satisfy yourself with this over at rpgmgames tumblr.

Thanks Cap_H!♥ The hardest part about putting this list together, is going to be finding stuff, people have written about these game, so more people can check them out. Like this mini paragraph Darken wrote for Slimes was great:

author=Darken
A GAME where you fight SLIMES and... that's it, there's no literal title joke that's actually all you do. I think the low download count is a bit sad considering there's some really cool stuff worth appreciating here. It's set in a fictional country with a heavy religion thematic backstory involving a slime epidemic. The slimes start to develop a very continuous personality throughout the demo and I like a lot of the world building documents you get for clearing every floor. It's got a bleak outlook on JRPG tropes but I think it has its own voice regarding the dynamics of how society chooses to deal with an impending threat. I highly recommend it.

So yeah, if you guys know of any like, really cool reviews, I can read through or things other peeps have said about these games, even in the comments section that might help me put this list together quicker, let me know, it'll help out tremendously.
Marrend
Guardian Gorgon of the Description Thread
Final Fantasy 7 - Regenesis might be a decent contender for "Lawsuit Waiting To Happen". I would be remiss in not mentioning Final Fantasy - Sky Warriors and Baclyae Revolution for this category.
Pages: 1