WEIRD STEALING ON RMW

Pages: 1
unity
You're magical to me.
I'm kinda puzzled by this. Someone named oluis1994o posted Weird and Unfortunate Things as a complete game over on rpgmakerweb.com.

Here's the post, and I'll put a screenshot under a hide-tag under here (as I suspect the thread will be removed), but it's basically just my description of the game copy-pasted.

Apparently I'm not the first, as this person has done the same to Wheelmanzero's Umbral Soul (which has since been removed).

My first thought was "Wow, am I victim of another wave of terrible RPG Maker game theft?" But looking at this closer, the user just links to his blog that links back to the Weird and Unfortunate page here on RMN. What's going on? Does oluis1994o just want more people to go to his blog? I have no idea what the logic is.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Most likely they want people to go to his blog first so that people will hopefully give him ad revenue. If they are not actively stealing the game or selling the assets within I wouldn't worry about it too much because aggregators and reposters like that person rarely ever make enough profit to justify that much work and eventually stop once they realize the effort to reward ratio is not worth it.
unity
You're magical to me.
Yeah, good point. Honestly my biggest worry is someone will say "Hey, I have a game here, click here to download" and have a link to just spyware or something awful like that. Redirecting to my own page is pretty harmless in comparison.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Thread already gone!
unity
You're magical to me.
Thanks, whoever did that on RMW :DDD
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
That's sooo weird. Mirak is probably right for the cause but it could also be someone liking the game? XD

Is WAUTAH posted on RMW by you already?
unity
You're magical to me.
author=InfectionFiles
That's sooo weird. Mirak is probably right for the cause but it could also be someone liking the game? XD

Is WAUFAH posted on RMW by you already?

Yeah, though it's in the Works in Progress area instead of the complete games one. Here's a link if you're curious.

Yeah I also wonder if this person was actually trying to help and just didn't think that there was anything wrong with spreading the game around without clarifying that they didn't make it?
Nah, I think Mirak's on the money here. Otherwise they wouldn't have posted the game's description ad verbatim. Definitely an element of plagiarism here, and I think if they were just trying to spread awareness it would've been an original thread praising and discussing the game.

If they're not claiming it's their game (even just by snuffing out the credits) or reuploading it somewhere, it's probably not going to be anything significantly damaging. But it never hurts to pop into those comments sections to say "Hey, thanks for posting about my game!" because people will often attribute a copypaste to the OP and not dig deeper than that.

Also I know reposters/reuploaders in the past have commonly targeted games made by devs likely to be inactive. So making them aware that you're on top of it might help deter them.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=unity
author=InfectionFiles

Is WAUFAH posted on RMW by you already?
Yeah, though it's in the Works in Progress area instead of the complete games one. Here's a link if you're curious.

Yeah I also wonder if this person was actually trying to help and just didn't think that there was anything wrong with spreading the game around without clarifying that they didn't make it?

I could see them overlooking it then, possibly... And they wanted to share it in a way they knew. It's not like they were trying to sell it, so weird and unfortunate? :D

And sorry, there was an F where the T should be in my original post!
I would have mentioned this earlier but the crew at RMW dealt with it. It seems it was some kind of bot account and they had a few games they'd tried to add up but they were caught quickly. I of course looked here for the user in question but no luck. It's weird that despite having denied threads they still tried to get through. So weird.

If you see any other games by someone else there, report it as such. The mods there aren't as hands-on with knowing games as peeps here are.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Liberty
I would have mentioned this earlier but the crew at RMW dealt with it. It seems it was some kind of bot account and they had a few games they'd tried to add up but they were caught quickly. I of course looked here for the user in question but no luck. It's weird that despite having denied threads they still tried to get through. So weird.

If you see any other games by someone else there, report it as such. The mods there aren't as hands-on with knowing games as peeps here are.

Yeah, the staff at RMW had it taken care of within like ten minutes of me making this thread, so huge props to them :DDD
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
If I remember the thread on RMW, there was a comment that was basically, "This is already on here, gonna report this". I don't remember which member that was, but, I reported the thread myself, and I recall unity posting in it to say, "Yo, this is actually my game, it already has a game-thread here, this user has no rights to it". The evidence was certainly piling up!
This is indeed...yeah, weird is the operative word. Unlike the demihuman filth monsters actually profiting off of some of our games, I really don't know what this guy was thinking, as he obviously couldn't have thought he'd get away with it even for 24 hours, and yeah, again, any ad revenue he siphoned with the end run through his blog was going to be minimal even if this wasn't caught and shut down immediately which it looks like it was.

In cases like this I do find myself sometimes wondering "was this just a realllllly confused fan?".
Pages: 1