PLAYING AS THE VILLAIN?

Pages: first 12 next last
Hi! Do someone knows if there are some games where you are the villain?
I am bored of always playing as the good guy haha.
author=Tw0Face
Umbral Soul. Have fun.

Awesome, thanks brother :)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I think ActRazer might be an odd thing to play. I've not played it myself, but, I'm pretty sure the premise boils down to: ActRaiser, but play as Kefka instead The Master.

Outside the RMN-verse, there was Dungeon Keeper, which is a tower defense game where you're an evil overlord corrupting and pillaging villages. Heroes inevitably try to invade your dungeon, and that's where the tower defense kicks in. It's certainly an older design, and I don't know how well it would run on more modern machines. GOG might be your best friend on this point, actually.

*Edit: Oh, This is Not My Final Form might deserve a shout-out.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
With sufficient thought about the other side, you can ALWAYS play the villain!
author=Marrend
I think ActRazer might be an odd thing to play. I've not played it myself, but, I'm pretty sure the premise boils down to: ActRaiser, but play as Kefka instead The Master.

Outside the RMN-verse, there was Dungeon Keeper, which is a tower defense game where you're an evil overlord corrupting and pillaging villages. Heroes inevitably try to invade your dungeon, and that's where the tower defense kicks in. It's certainly an older design, and I don't know how well it would run on more modern machines. GOG might be your best friend on this point, actually.

*Edit: Oh, This is Not My Final Form might deserve a shout-out.

Oh nice! will check those ones for sure too, i heard about "This is not my final form" somewhere, but i didnt knew it was about being the villain

author=Sooz

And that is true lol, deep thinking at that i guess haha
author=Sidewinder
You might like Blood Omen:

Blood Omen, this was before Soul Reaver... never tried it, might give it a try, thanks bud!
author=visitorsfromdreams
Overlord is another good one.

Yes! i played that one, that is when i became obsessed in playing as the villain...
author=Sooz

I'd add an "almost" there (for instance: Nazis, fuck 'em), but I actually popped into this thread to say something similar. With the exception of Chapelwaite--the Great Old Ones don't get to be sympathetic, sorry--every game I've released in the past few years (or worked on but didn't release) has kind of hinged on the fact that either side could be the heroes or the villains as a matter of perspective. It was core to the premise of Road To Paradise, and is core to the premise of Live Free Or Die and the as-yet pageless Malleus Maleficarum.

Now, I don't actually want to go "full real life" where all morality is, to a certain degree, relative, so basically I prefer Black and Gray morality to Grey and Gray morality. The difference is just basically that I can include things so scary & nasty that they are obviously evil to both factions, even if those factions are in the middle of pointing fingers at each other and yelling "they're the bad guys!" they can occasionally point at the greater evil and be like "but THAT'S fucking Satan/Cthulhu!". Also very occasionally I will have a force of Pure Good appear in one of my games, but usually so briefly that if one blinks, one might miss it.

Anyway, as for games that aren't mine, incomplete, and/or unavailable for download: Blood Omen is freaking dope, and I mean the whole Legacy of Kaine Series series (except for Blood Omen 2, that one's skippable). I don't know how well any of the Soul Reaver and after titles have aged, but the original is the one I've actually gone back to and replayed parts of, as the years have marched on and it has gone from being a newish game on a newish console when I first encountered it to being something I could almost certainly replicate in RPG Maker, sans FMV and voice acting (Paul Lukather is incredible, but the entire voice cast of LoK is awesome). Fuck, I'm old.

It frustrates me that I can't think of any RM games where you play as the villain (or an anti-hero) off the top of my head besides those mentioned here but I've already spent too long on this thread. Anyway, LoK: BO is the best game I can think of right now where you play as the villain (although Kain might be considered an anti-hero or anti-villain his quest to unfuck the world is more or less FUELED BY THE BLOOD OF INNOCENT PEOPLE so depending on how you feel re: ends and means...).

author=Marrend

I checked out ActRazer based on your elevator pitch but got anti-climbing paint. : (
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=StormCrow
I checked out ActRazer based on your elevator pitch but got anti-climbing paint. : (

Crap. I was probably typing to fast, or didn't notice the extra "ActRazer" in the URL-tag. This should lead to the correct page.
author=StormCrow
author=Sooz
I'd add an "almost" there (for instance: Nazis, fuck 'em), but I actually popped into this thread to say something similar. With the exception of Chapelwaite--the Great Old Ones don't get to be sympathetic, sorry--every game I've released in the past few years (or worked on but didn't release) has kind of hinged on the fact that either side could be the heroes or the villains as a matter of perspective. It was core to the premise of Road To Paradise, and is core to the premise of Live Free Or Die and the as-yet pageless Malleus Maleficarum.

Now, I don't actually want to go "full real life" where all morality is, to a certain degree, relative, so basically I prefer Black and Gray morality to Grey and Gray morality. The difference is just basically that I can include things so scary & nasty that they are obviously evil to both factions, even if those factions are in the middle of pointing fingers at each other and yelling "they're the bad guys!" they can occasionally point at the greater evil and be like "but THAT'S fucking Satan/Cthulhu!". Also very occasionally I will have a force of Pure Good appear in one of my games, but usually so briefly that if one blinks, one might miss it.

Anyway, as for games that aren't mine, incomplete, and/or unavailable for download: Blood Omen is freaking dope, and I mean the whole Legacy of Kaine Series series (except for Blood Omen 2, that one's skippable). I don't know how well any of the Soul Reaver and after titles have aged, but the original is the one I've actually gone back to and replayed parts of, as the years have marched on and it has gone from being a newish game on a newish console when I first encountered it to being something I could almost certainly replicate in RPG Maker, sans FMV and voice acting (Paul Lukather is incredible, but the entire voice cast of LoK is awesome). Fuck, I'm old.

It frustrates me that I can't think of any RM games where you play as the villain (or an anti-hero) off the top of my head besides those mentioned here but I've already spent too long on this thread. Anyway, LoK: BO is the best game I can think of right now where you play as the villain (although Kain might be considered an anti-hero or anti-villain his quest to unfuck the world is more or less FUELED BY THE BLOOD OF INNOCENT PEOPLE so depending on how you feel re: ends and means...).

author=Marrend

I like your detailed response! But yes, i checked Blood Omen, and i think he is more of a anti-hero, not a totally evil bad guy... We really need a game where you play as the most evil guy, not just an anti-hero.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
author=Darken
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

I played that one, but as far as i know you dont play as the villain?
author=kory_toombs
Disgaea PC

https://store.steampowered.com/app/405900/Disgaea_PC/

I completely missed Disgaea, played some of them in the PS2 and PSP... thanks to you i remember this game now haha.
There's Antagonist, although that's about being an actor playing a villain and then finding out you actually are part of an evil organization. And aside from some amusement at all the parody references, I didn't find it to be a great game. But hey, it's super-cheap.
author=AubreyTheBard
There's Antagonist, although that's about being an actor playing a villain and then finding out you actually are part of an evil organization. And aside from some amusement at all the parody references, I didn't find it to be a great game. But hey, it's super-cheap.

I checked it, judging by the images, the game looks a bit "weak". I want something badass, can´t explain it, but for example in Breath of Fire 4 you played in some parts as Fou-Lu, and that guy is the definition of BADASS.

author=Illy

FF CC is about being the villain?
Pages: first 12 next last