VIDEO GAME CRITIC WAGER 2020

Honestly I'm just gonna use this thread to talk about upcoming releases, also just so everyone knows what's up for bid.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX
was announced. I really like the aesthetics and vibe of the series but can never get into them. They feel like Shiren the Wanderer but for kids, usually pretty easy. I love the art direction of this new one though. It's probably gonna get a solid 60-70 as these games typically don't do well reviews wise, so it's not a big contender IMO.

Pokemon also got some DLC but we aren't allowed to bid on stuff like that.

Assassins Creed Ragnarok is getting leaked left and right as usual. Going off of previous entries, it feels like it'll be released this year as well. AC recently has become a guilty pleasure of mine since I actually like the prospect of 100%ing a game that just tells you where everything is without any mystery. Open world games always seem to win over reviewers even if they've been rehashed to death. Probably might bid on this one actually but gonna wait for more details.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Cyberpunk 2077 just got delayed to September, I hope this is a bad sign of things to come :)
The only bad sign is that maybe it will be delayed into 2021!

EDIT:
The Final Fantasy 7 remake also got delayed and that one I do hope is a sign of bad things to come :P
Ori, Doom and Animal Crossing are now the closest edit: (and Nioh 2)

Also a topical video on aggregate scores

I was watching this the other night. But I thought I'd share it here, because it was one of the major games I was betting on. But yeah, Lorne Lanning talks about growing up poor, his brother dealing with alcoholism, but also, how he solved one of the initial, major, creative problems with OddWorld: everyone in the 90s wanted to create an action adventure game, when the heart and soul of Oddworld was a puzzle platformer - really neat interview, they also posted a 2 hour extended version just yesterday, that might also be worth checking out.

But yeah, it's just really interesting to hear how, his background, was originally creating photo-realistic matte paintings for movies and he eventually made the transition to video games, just because the timing and opportunity was right. Wish more interviews dealt with this creative problem solving stuff.

Still sweatin' about this bet tho, lol.
SunflowerGames

2 Games have been released now.

Nioh 2 = Critic Score 86 = Points 16

Ori = Critic Score 89 = Points 19

So, I'm officially in the lead with the Ori pick!
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Frickin' frick, I forgot this was a thing. Good picks and good points, Kory! :)
SunflowerGames

Some other titles are out now, with more coming out soon. This is going to be a huge pickup time for points in the next couple of weeks.

Animal Crossing, Nioh 2, Ori, and Doom currently in...
Knew AC would be my golden nugget.
SunflowerGames

The Last of Us Part II is looking to bomb due to the recent leaks!!!
Nonsense.

idk the leaks only fuck with people who were going to day 1 purchase the game and wanted to know the spoilers before everyone else. though even then it's like, really easy to avoid spoilers. I think it's hilarious that people treat this like some kind of tragedy. Good news is that Tsushima also has a release date.

Really gonna think about dropping BOTW2... there's no ninty direct until the end of summer which tells me something. No info on Elden ring but I think I can hold it. The virus is really messing up any game that's relying on store sales.
SunflowerGames

In terms of the league though, the critic score is what matters.
There's huge implications that this game will be a total let down,
ie. GOT season 8 or Star Wars episode 8 and 9.

I don't know much about the story since I'm a PC gamer, but there's a huge backlash going on over the story. That might effect the score and the points.
From what I hear critics are mainly unconcerned with the leaks. It's mostly just a bunch of twitter and reddit people who are saying it'll be shit. Not that I've been following it too closely either.

The main issue I'm seeing is if more games are going to get delayed with all of this corona business. Games that used to be "fall 2020" are now going to be early 2021!
SunflowerGames

author=mmoseeker
i will pick FF7 remake

I almost thought about buying a PS4 to play this and other exclusives.

The physical version of the game in my region, while having Japanese or English voices, has Chinese subtitles only. So, I would have to order the game to get the Japanese / English version from Hong Kong. (There should be an option to download subtitles form the store if you bought a physical copy. This is a digital age we live in.)

I'll probably just wait for it to be released on PC now and hope emulation technology gets better for the PS 4.

AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Been a while, huh? In case anyone still cares...

1st) GOTY Studios / Darken (63 pts)
2nd) Red Lobster Productions / Lordbluerogue (49 pts)
3rd) Badthesda / Kory_Toombs (46 pts)
4th) Phoenix Song Studio / AtiyaTheSeeker (24 pts)
5th) JK Entertainment / Shinan (0 pts)

Seems Shinan's being risky, as none of his games released yet. Two of my picks, Psychonauts 2 and Kerbal Space Program 2, are dead in the water as they won't release this year. Likewise, Kory's also got a dead pick in Tales of Arise.
You can drop games that won't release and replace them with something else. Which is what I did when Mount & Blade 2 came out in early access but wouldn't count as "released".

All my games get delayed constantly -_-

Edit: I'll be damned. Almost immediately after posting this Bloodlines 2 was delayed to 2021...
So the year is coming to an end and my picking of Empire of Sin really didn't pan out (I thought it'd be in the high 70s!)

Also I think I'm the only one who regularly checked in on this because as I said in my first post "this is my jam".
I completely forgot I started this, uhhhh since I have one slot left I'm gonna bid for a game that'll release in the second half of december and edge out in true scummy fashion assuming the game I picked doesn't tank.

I'd be willing to start again if about the same or more people join, it's the lowest maintenance thing I've ever organized.

Probably should have paid attention and dropped some games...

Also i dont think I understand how counter pick works, Vampire didn't come out so I should have gotten points right? But I guess it's actually a both people lose if there's no show.
Counterpicks that don't come out give 0 points (so no negative points!). The idea being that if a counterpick (early draft picks!) does come out it is very likely to give negative points anyway so a 0-point counterpick is a win. (see: the counterpicks that actually did come out)