[RM2K] [RM2K3] [RMXP] [RMVX] [RMVX ACE] [RMMV] YOJI OJIMA, INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY

Pages: 1
So the other day I was trying to figure out exactly how Kadokawa/Degica Games/Enterbrain want to be credited because I was throwing together a WIP credits .txt for Malleus Maleficarum and in virtually every area I have to (or at least, should and will) credit them and I didn't want to be writing out something as unwieldy as

Kadokawa Corp/Degica Games/Enterbrain

five times in my credits.

None of this is particularly interesting but it IS context for how I learned what very little I know about Yoji Ojima and I'm wondering if y'all can help me learn more or find this anywhere near as interesting as I do. I will probably mirror this thread on the "official" rpg maker webzone because I think they might know better there.

So, anyway, the Degica Games website attributes RPG Maker MV to the following:

"© 2015 KADOKAWA CORPORATION./YOJI OJIMA"

Yoji Ojima, I thought, where have I seen that name before? It feels weird seeing it listed next to Kadokawa. I didn't realize this until this year but Kadokawa corp is actually pretty huge. I checked out a few new anime series this year I really liked and a couple of them were produced by Kadokawa.

On my own, I managed to work out where I'd seen the name before. He's the creator of the (generally pretty solid) "community basic" plugins that come with the current(ish) version of MV. So this is some guy that worked on the code base for MV, clearly, but did he like...MAKE RPG Maker MV essentially BY HIMSELF? That's what the Copyright Kadokawa/Yoji Ojima seemed to imply. Either that or he Intrigued, I plugged his name into the google machine.

AND GOT A HILARIOUS MEME VIDEO THAT TOTALLY FOOLED ME

Is Yoji Ojima just A programmer who worked on RPG Maker MV? Is he THE ONE GUY that made RPG Maker MV? What was his involvement with earlier engines? ...did this guy make or at least code every single RPG Maker release? Is one man responsible for the entire RPG Maker phenomenon that has defined my life to a certain degree? Seriously, would my entire life have been radically different if not for this ONE JAPANESE MAN whose name I did not learn until I had been using his software for like two decades? Is that what's up?

I burn with curiosity.

* Enterbrain--as far as I can tell--did not have anything to do with MV or VX Ace and honestly might have ceased being the publisher for RPG Maker or even ceased to exist much earlier than that, I think XP might be the last time I can kind of sort of remember seeing the Enterbrain/ASCII logo on RPG Maker stuff.
Here's a google translation of the Japanese wikipedia page for RMMV: https://translate.google.ca/translate?um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&client=tw-ob&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fja.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FRPG%25E3%2583%2584%25E3%2582%25AF%25E3%2583%25BC%25E3%2583%25ABMV

Yoji Ojima (尾島陽児) is credited as the programmer.

It's usually easier to find info about a Japanese person when you search their name written in kanji.
Yoji Ojima is the creator of RPG Maker. He does not own KADOKAWA. That video is just a parody based on a meme. And yes, he's a solo programmer.
author=StormCrow
Wait a second here...okay, now I'm sensing Poe's Law....was this a parody? Did RPG Maker fans taking a shot at him write these subtitles under an unrelated video? Is this one of those meme videos like the Hitler freakout clip from the movie Downfall that will eventually be used for literally everything and anything on the internet? Have a dozen different things been dubbed on this video clip I've never seen before and RPG Maker is just one of them? Or is this actually an interview with a Japanese man with bad teeth laughing at us for enabling his own laziness? I literally don't know!

You know the guy in the video is speaking Spanish, right?
Yep I can confirm he is not talking about rpgmaker XD
author=grindalf
Yep I can confirm he is not talking about rpgmaker XD

That's the spanish guy of "El Risitas" meme (a comedian.. he speaks about paella pans!) ^_^
author=Sidewinder
You know the guy in the video is speaking Spanish, right?

Considering I SPEAK spanish I really freaking should have, but no. I failed. All I heard was them speaking "foreign" the first time around, and the second time around I was like "hmm, that doesn't sound like Japanese" but in my defense it is extra hard to recognize a language when the speakers are laughing uncontrollably.

I admit in general I was pretty gullible here. It was just that a) that video is like the only result when you get when you Google him in english (the kanji tip is a good one, Avee, although at the time I didn't have his name in kanji, just english) and b)...to be honest, like, as a meme video it worked really well because everything being said in the video is what I've kind of always thought (or feared?) the makers of RPG Maker think about us.

I also thought that he looked Hispanic but I've seen Japanese men with similar skin tone and features. I'm going to edit my OP and then swoop back around to edit this post.

author=Archeia_Nessiah
Yoji Ojima is the creator of RPG Maker. He does not own KADOKAWA. That video is just a parody based on a meme. And yes, he's a solo programmer.

Edit: the creator of RPG Maker period? Like going all the way back to RPG Maker 2000 RPG Maker 95 (I often forget that one exists because I was 6 when it came out, my first one was 2k and I often lapse into thinking that's where the series started)? Did this guy actually CODE all of them? That's pretty amazing. Also, creator as in it was his idea?

Nessy, I feel like you're the closest of anyone to being in a position of being able to answer, since you're the grand high poobah of RPG Maker web and I'd imagine part of that job involves liaising with the Japanese community and Kadokawa/Degica itself. If I'm hearing you right and this guy is the creator of RPG Maker, he is probably the single biggest (albeit indirect) influence on my life outside of my immediate family. And that's crazy. Not how much of my life is RPG Maker--that's crazy in its own way--but that I'm ONLY JUST NOW learning the name of someone whose software I have put countless tens of thousands of hours into using for the past 17-18 years.

EDIT: actually, when you consider that w/o his software I would never have played A Blurred Line, Hero's Realm, Iron Gaia, Sunset Over Imdahl, The Way, Three The Hard Way, etc. etc. ad nauseum we can go ahead and get rid of the "probably".

1) Why on God's green Earth is this the very first time I'm hearing the man's name?
2) Does he interact with the community ever? English-speaking or otherwise.
"Did this guy actually CODE all of them?"
NO - he not code all.
Yoji Ojima programmed RM:
- rpg maker 98 dante II (1996)
- rpg maker 2000 (2000)
- rpg maker xp (2004)
- rpg maker vx (2007)
- rpg maker vx ace (2012)
- rpg maker mv (2015)

RPG Maker 95 is write by You Ito and Tsuneari Okumoto (1997)
RPG Maker 2003 - part common with RM2k is by Yoji Ojima, rest programmed by 濱田信次 (Shinji Hamada?) (2002)

RPG Maker 98 Dante is by Nobuyuki Yamashita (1992)

In Manual to RPG Maker 98 Dante II you can find info about author:

OCR:
1977年、 神奈川県生まれ。 高校3年聞、 学校の勉強そつちのけでプログラミングに没頭し、 高3 の秋ごろから個人的に作り始めたツ一ルが本製晶の原形となる。 暇さえあれば、新しいオリジナルゲ-ムのアイデアを考えているが、 なかなか既存のゲ一ムの枠から抜け出すことができず、日夜、 頭を悩ませている。
Google Translate:
Born in Kanagawa Prefecture in 1977. After three years in high school, I was immersed in programming in the middle of studying at school. If I have free time, I am thinking of a new original game idea, but I am not able to get out of the frame of the existing game, and am bothering me day and night.

So when ASCII release mamirin in 1988 - he was 11 year old, RPG Maker 98 Dante II release when he was 19 year old.

Edit: Sorry I forget - Yoji Ojima wrote SIM RPG Maker 95 (1998)
Thanx for the info! (You are very well informed.)

That's still incredibly impressive and it's still really weird that I didn't hear of a man who's had such a huge indirect impact on my entire adult life until 20 years after I started using his software tool to create countless games.
author=Avee
Here's a google translation of the Japanese wikipedia page for RMMV: https://translate.google.ca/translate?um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&client=tw-ob&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fja.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FRPG%25E3%2583%2584%25E3%2582%25AF%25E3%2583%25BC%25E3%2583%25ABMV
Also, for high-quality translation into Chinese and Japanese, you can use the online services of this list https://isaccurate.com/best-chinese-translation-companies

It's usually easier to find info about a Japanese person when you search their name written in kanji.

Thanks for the translation, he really is a mystery man. It was interesting to know at least some information about him.
Amazing... He was coding commercial software by 20 years old.

The comments that we read in the default RGSS code scripts are probably his.
author=Avee

Thanks for this! I didn`t know it!
Yes you can "feel" Yoji's handwriting everywhere, in the code, the UI and the overall software design and architecture. And I really like it.

(The only thing I'm not so much a fan of is that his comments in the source code are the type that just literally describes what the line does, just in Japanese, but not why and what for. At least it was like that in RM2k. I had this many times that I was like "hmm, why is he setting the index to zero here, that doesn't make sense to me... let's see what the comment says... Google Translate... oh, 'set index to zero' - well.")

Only RM2k3 is the oddball, and you can clearly feel the lack of Yoji's presence in those additions. I can give you a hundred examples, both in its internals and externals. I guess he feels violated when looking at what was done there ;-) - at least I would if I were him, because it really feels like someone with no understanding of and no respect for his way of thinking and desinging software was working on that (and probably also under a tight budget), turning a few things into a total trainwreck. And of course the loss of the source code... maybe it's better that way^^

(RM2k3 is of course also in another way the oddball, since the English version has my handwriting too, obviously. I wonder if Yoji would also feel violated from that? In a certain way it's worse what I did - creating sort of a Frankenstein monster - but on the other hand I really tried to keep his spirit and his coding conventions alive in the way I implemented things.)

By the way, thanks for the info regarding "濱田信次 (Shinji Hamada?)", I didn't know who it was who worked on RM2k3, only that it very obviously wasn't Yoji Ojima.

EDIT: Here is an old article that also used to contain a picture of him, but unfortunately the picture is not archived :(

http://web.archive.org/web/20100429060824/http://www.news2u.net/releases/56419/items/4/

尾島 陽児(おじま・ようじ) プロフィール
1977年神奈川県生まれ。高校1年のころから独自にプログラミングの勉強を始め、高校3年で商用ソフトの開発を手がける。2007年ごろから囲碁ソフト「Zen」の開発に着手。代表作に『RPGツクール2000』(エンターブレイン)など。
Born in Kanagawa prefecture in 1977. He started studying programming independently when he was in his first year of high school, and started developing commercial software in his third year of high school. From around 2007, he started developing the Go software "Zen". His masterpieces include "RPG Maker 2000" (Enterbrain).

This is because he worked on the Go AI software Zen which later turned into Deep Zen Go apparently: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeepZenGo
Pages: 1