2020 GAMING DIARY

AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Heyyyy, cool to hear from you, Fomar and Cap. Digimon Story was really fun when I played, and I was curious about Endless Scroll when I saw the name.

Chasm
This game is a doozy. It's a fun doozy, but very much a doozy. I feel it handles revisiting older areas with new abilities way more often and better than any Castlevania I've played. Having found an Arena in the Keep, an area I keep having to return to with said new abilities, I got a couple more deaths on my records. However the Gladiator gear I obtained by winning two of the four fights, a helmet and breastplate, are better than even the Gold Armor I bought ingots to craft. Luckily the gold armor sold for the amount I bought the materials for, so no net loss.

Maxed out the power of my magic throwing knives; they now look super-cool as an icon and can legitimately kite some enemies. The Hunting Sword I got from a quest is my best weapon right now, as I sold an Officer Sword I came across. The sword was worth a good amount of money, and was hardly any stronger than the new sword. Because the H-Sword lets you ID enemies in your bestiary after just one kill, as long as the final blow as with the sword, I like it a whole lot. I wound up selling my two Leather Bracers despite giving an all-around buff to my stats each; I'm currently rocking a Jade Ring that boosts Luck and a Silver Chain which boosts Intelligence. Luck affects item drop but also critical hit chance, while Intelligence boosts subweapon damage.

I feel food and crafting goods (gems to enhance subweapons, and ingots to craft specific items) for sale are handled well. Food is cheap but powerful, yet it's also sold in a finite amount. If you could buy infinite gems and ingots, it'd be easy to exploit the game's simple crafting system to sell equipment for gold pieces. Potions, while kinda pricey, are sold infinitely. This overall forces you to git gud, but is fair as money isn't much of a problem for me after a certain point. Having dropped items to sell, and coming into treasure weapons that aren't as good as your current gear or barely better, are also important. I disliked how buying potions was pointless in Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia compared to buying food, so I'm glad Chasm handled the food-potion balance well.

Lastly, the game has daily and weekly challenges. Initially I thought no one did 'em, but you need to adjust the high score filter to see your ranking to other players. Dailies only give you one shot, but weeklies give you as many tries as you want while the current challenge is still up. First run was dece, I think 27 out of 59 when I just jumped in. Now that I know how the challenges work, I tried again today and...

...this is the third attempt overall. It's probs gonna fizzle out tomorrow, but hey. I'm proud of myself. All in all I love this game, but I am a bit exhausted from it right now. I'm thinking of playing either Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy Tactics or Dragon Quest 3 later today.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Resident Evil 2 - COMPLETED!

The game can be a bit dizzy, with how the camera angles work. There was at least one instance where I just UGEd up an item I needed rather than backtrack to were it was supposed to be. Still, it was an okay game, and I won't mind playing Clare-B when next this come around.

*Edit: FF9-wise, I'm pretty much standing within a screen of Cleyra. I've dropped this game before at pretty much this precise point at least twice to my memory, and both times, I seem to recall that it was from being put on hiatus for too long. Like, this was back when we had a physical PS2 and PS3 to switch between, and the length of time between when the PS2 was the "active console" and the PS3 having that honor was getting shorter and shorter, until finally, we retired both the PS2 and PS3, and got the PS4.
Marrend
Wild Arms 3 - started!

I was kinda waffling between this and Front Mission 3. Not quite feeling it for a tactics game at the moment, so, here we are!
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
February::..
1. Wide Ocean Big Jacket
Really enjoyed this. It would be a great movie, but It is an even better game. The narration is subtle but not obscured, simple enough for everyone to understand and ordinary enough to relate to it. Visual choices add a lot too and bring it closer to literature than visual media. Ofc, music connects it all and it just makes the joy of outside life shine through. ​

(the game's from Turnfollow, my favourite devs, who created Little Party and other gems.

2. Kentucky Route Zero
I finally managed to find a day to play through all of it at once. It took me a lot of time and I found myself really sleepy when playing the last act. Also, it seemed to be little weaker than previous one. Especially in comparison with act 4 and all the action and experimental storytelling, this one felt almost like an older game and maybe little too sentimental at times. At the other side it gave me many options to lighten it up.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Chasm -- Completed!
Alrighty, managed to complete Chasm the other day. With the final optional bits done, I cleared all the villagers' personal quests, got the ultimate sword (though not as powerful as even the two-handed Flambard I found before), and defeated the final boss. The second-to-last biome has no save point, an interesting take because the save points are dedicated to the settings's deities, the Watchers.

The final battle was pretty darn cool. I wasn't sure if I'd survive as I had all my healing items used up, but late in the fight I got through the attack patterns even as the villain threw new ones into the mix. I was able to max out my knives, axes and molotovs, though the trio of thrown knives are by far the best. As the same randomly generates the world layout each time you start a new file, it's a game I'd wanna return to someday. In addition I'd a) try the Hard difficulty and b) even try the iron-man "Mortal" difficulty, where one death bricks your save. Overall, this game is tons of fun. :D

Final Fantasy 7
I have earned my ability to watch more of the Machinabridged series, hah! Made it to Fort Condor from the latter bits of the raid on Shinra HQ. Finding where to go next after being captured was a pain in the ass as always. I've been swapping out Materia here and there, now years older and wiser about actual strategy with those things.

I'm tempted to grind a bit as everyone except Red XIII and Yuffie are eligible to learn their LV2 Limit Breaks. Can you believe I ran into Yuffie the first encounter I went to go find her in the forests? I sure can't believe my luck! I am disappointed that she's Level 17 compared to my team's average of 15 though, but fitting that she's a bench warmer for now. :p Thinking of doing the two available RTS battles at the fort, especially as Ethers don't come easy early on for the second battle.
Marrend
A few game updates on my end.

Final Fantasy 9
Just finished Disk 2 a few moments ago. Not looking forward to when Dagger/Garnet becomes mute, and randomly decides to not act in fights. Not sure where, exactly, that is, but, I know it's coming up. Maybe even soon.

Wild Arms 3
Chapter 1 seemed to go by pretty damn fast. Then again, the game is kinda railroad-y with it's story, even if the places you need to go have to be found with the search system. My team is level 20-ish, so, I've set them up with status immunity through Personal Skills. Another 16 levels will see them with full elemental immunity, but, that's quite a ways from my current position!

Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night
Started this a few days ago. Feels very much like a Symphony of the Night clone, but, that's probably the point. I'm not particularly keen on there being an alchemy system in this game. I haven't necessarily grinded for alchemy reagents, but, I have done some backtracking for the mini-quests the game has.

Valkyria Chronicles 4
It has been a bit since I've played this, but, as I recall, I've a mid-map save on the map that introduces the game's Valkyria. I can't damage her at all, of course, and she's got this wide and long cone for the area she can affect. Given that I can't damage her, I think my priority has to be to take out the boss-tank, and probably rush the enemy main camp. I usually devote scouts to the task of rushing the main camp, as they have a lot of movement. However, doing it with shocktroopers might be wiser in this case, as they tend to be better armored, and generally have more health.
Marrend
A few updates from my little corner.

Final Fantasy 9 - COMPLETED!
Polished this one off a few minutes ago. I think my play-time was somewhere around 25 hours? It's an okay game. To be fair, I maxed out the EXP and AP codes, and gave myself all items, because screw the requirements for the Excalibur II. Leaving Quina as the only character that didn't have all abilities.

I looked into codes to max out Quina's Blue Magic, but, it was doing something unexpected. Like, I knew Quina and Cinna shared memory addresses to some degree. The code from CodeTwink that was supposed to grant Quina all abilities did so. That's not the odd part. The odd part is that it also applied Cinna's face and combat sprite, and the character could not equip (or remove) passive abilities! Moving the variable didn't seem to do anything. Between the values of 0 and 15, it was either "Quina" with whatever abilities they had before applying the code. Anything else seemed to be "Cinna" with all of Quina's abilities.

Wild Arms 3
Started Chapter 3... yesterday? I think? After the EXP-hack, the team is in their mid 40's in level. Looking forward to getting the airship (and exceptionally toyetic) Lombardia. Not 100% sure where that is in this game, but, I know it's there. The Telepath Tower side-quest is also something I always look forward to, as it's a pretty funky and legit way to achieve level 99. I admit that part of how that's possible is the Personal Skill items I hacked into being, but, eh.

*Edit: For what it's worth, I did give Castlevania: Dracula's Dance another try. However, I seems to still be dying in the same bloody place. So, I can't really comment on whither or not it's actually been fixed.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Haven't been doing much gaming lately, but some chipping away has happened.

Final Fantasy 7
Made it to Costa Del Sol. Figuring out how to do game mechanics, woo.

Final Fantasy Tactics
I forget where I last stopped. Got to the first Meliadoul fight in Chapter 4, and ragequit my session after one fight. Still going into it, but I'm not bothering with the sidequests. I just wanna clear the main game.

Dragon Quest 3
Playing the GBC version because it's the one I knew growing up. I don't know how I feel about this one these days. I've played till I beat Kandar numerous times; not sure if I'm just avoiding the early grind or if I legitimately don't give a damn about this game anymore.

Abandoned Games
Forgot to mention that I can't do Soul Caliber 6 due to computer hardware. Also dropping Digimon World 3, as I don't want to track down a good ISO (or buy a copy to run on ePSXe through my disc drive) for a grindfest I've already beaten in my teens. Lastly ditching Stars Wars KotOR because I don't care enough.
Ok so I had a week away on residential so very little gaming for me but a quick update:

Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2
While I already marked this as complete because I originally just wanted to do normal and then call it a day... I got sucked back in, just reached ultimate (top difficulty).

Phantasy Star Online Episode 3
I've done one more battle... oops. Unrelated to this though I did rip all the card images ready for a pc demake version I would love to do at some point.

Timesplitters 2
Completed story start to finish, and did a lot of the challenges and arcade missions though not all. Without the multiplayer this was quite short lived.

World of Warcraft
I'm falling out of love with my main (Warlock) so have levelled my 13th character to 120 - a second Druid, my original Tauren Druid before I was seduced by dinosaurs. In two weeks I have virtually caught up on item level (4 less) and overtaken my main's heart of azeroth level (mostly because island expeditions are vaguely fun on a tank spec). My only issue is essences though I have most at level 1 now and a few at two. Regrinding them sucks.
I am considering uninstalling Magic Arena (again) but in that case I need to find something else to play.
There are a dime a dozen Hearthstone clones on Steam, I can almost see myself going through every one and not liking any of them. Last night I tried one, Eternal, and I feel it's only ok, even though it is Hearthstone crossed with Magic which ought to be a good thing.
The game I play does not have to be a card game though. I feel I could be trying to get into RTS or city building games, or maybe even an MMO. It does not have to be free either, but I am very reluctant to plop down money on a game without trying it first, so a demo at the very least would be nice.
Marrend
I seem to flip between Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night when I get on the PS4. Progress in ether is slower than the emulated games, as I just don't jump on the PS4 as often.

Speaking of emulated games, Front Mission 3 is a go! I got myself onto Alisa's story, and maybe about an hour and a half in. It's too early to customize wanzers (this game's term for mechs) to much of any degree at this point in the game. Like, I can only get/restock items. I also didn't know how much I missed this in-game internet.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
>I decided to abandon UnCiv for now, because I haven't touched it for a while and the bottom inch of my phones display got broken about a month ago in a water related accident.

>I put Fomar's World of Warcraft in finished games despite him still being on the task because it's a game he maxed up many characters in and only continues to further explore options.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Had some time to do stuff, sooooo...

Final Fantasy 7
Got a bit farther, up to Corel Prison and Barret talking about his being framed. I'm surprised that Cait Sith has been suggested to make a good White Mage analog in the StrategyWiki guide? Then again he does come off as a more support-based character from his starting gear. I know who's getting Aerith's materia after Disc 1. I like the Gaelic and/or cockney accent that they gave Cait Sith in the retranslation, given his mythical origins. Something the translation did that adds to the game, aside from modern magic names and what-not.

As a kid playing it for the first time by myself, Cloud was the only one to get his three tiers of Limit Breaks, aside from Cait Sith. Been trying to balance out characters' kills because of it, but no one has their 2nd level of Limits yet. I'd like to at least see Aerith's 2nd level specials. :v

Anywho, the parts from Costa Del Sol to Rocket Town are the most memorable chunks of Final Fantasy 7 to me. The climax of that favorite chunk seems to be Cosmo Canyon, for obvious reasons. Red XIII is awesome, and I'm glad he's got a cool voice actor in the upcoming remake. Seriously, the more I learn about FF7R the more I want to save up for a PS4!

Game Dev Tycoon -- Completed!
Grabbed this game on a whim through Steam lately! My cousin played it before and I had fun messing around on his file. Marathoned it for like five hours before I got sick of it, and then finished the run in the wee hours of the morning today. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I think I did well for a first time playthrough?

My game company, Phoenix Song, scored 53,262,540 points at the end of the 35-year run. I had eighteen engines for my games and made fifty-two titles, though the biggest level of gaming seemed to be Medium. The other two "sizes" I didn't get to were Large and AAA. My best game rating was 9.75, which five games got. My worst rating was a 2. I've made the most games with PC, and made only like one game with its off-brand Playstation 2 and XBox One. The other consoles were an off-brand Commodore 64, S/NES, Playstations 1~5, Nintendo DS, XBox 360, and the Switch.

With two of my game franchises (one a successor or re-imagining of the other in my headcanon), hubris hoisted me by my jeans: it's a bad idea to make one game that's super-similar to another, one after the other. That's how I scored the 2, and it almost made my company fade out with a whimper during the last years of the run! Somehow I finished strong with "Veilwood Hollow 4", with only like a month or so left to spare before the run ended.

Below are the statistics for my run, which I jotted down on a notepad and typed into a word document because eff that noise. Will be under a spoiler tag for the sake of non-pedants to my make-believe.

The Staff
Rachel : Boost ability, Best Stat: Design (598), Worst Stat: Research (364)
James : Best Stat: Speed (478), Worst Stat: Technology (206)
Laureen : Best Stat: Research (482), Worst Stat: Technology (257)
Jane : Boost ability, Best Stat: Technology (562), Worst Stat: Design (40)

Final Engine: "Firetune Blaze"
Graphic: 2D V5
Story/Quests: Linear, Branching, Advanced Cutscenes
Engine: Savegame, Multiplayer, Save to Cloud, Mod Support, Multi-Platform Optimization
Gameplay: Tutorials, Better User Experience, Achievements, Character Progression, Skill Trees
Dialogues: Better, Trees, Voiceovers
Level Design: Easter Eggs, Minigames, No Loading Screens
AI: Better, Companions
World Design: Open World
Sound: Soundtrack, Surround

Game Franchises
Ronin Kitsune (E, Ninja/Action): RK (5.25), RK Gaiden: Yokai War (6.25)

Fantasy Frontier (E, Colonization/RPG): Fantasy Frontier (2.75), FF II (6, became Expedition/Sim)

Broken Home (E, Zombies/RPG): Broken Home (6), BH2: Rite of Passage (8, became M), BH3: My Soul To Keep (6.75, became Horror/RPG), BH4: Terminus Est (3.5, was E for some reason)

Ronin Vixen (E, Martial Arts/Action): RV - Genevive's Return (7.75), RV 2: The Star-Orb (7), RV 3: Rising Moon (9.25), RV 4: Oni Diamyo Rising (6.25), RV - Another Tale (8.75, became Action-Adventure), RV Origins (9.75), RV 5: Tengu's Dogma (6.75), RV Gaiden: Ghost-Bird (5, Small game)

Lion Warrior (E, Mythology/RPG): LW (10), LW II: Of Myth and Lions (6.25), LW 3: Sundrop Saga (7.5)

Lion's Journey (E, Fantasy/RPG): LJ (8.25), LJ 2 (9.5), LJ 3 - Skyward Souls (9.25, accidentally named it "Game #39" x_x), LJ 4: Faith in Fire (7.5), LJ 5: Stones of Stygia (5.5), LJ 6: Xanadu's Grief (2)

Veilwood Hollow (E, Dungeon/RPG): VH (7.75), VH 2 (8.75), VH 3 (9.75), VH 4 (9.75)

Papa Kebab's Eatery (E, Cooking/Casual): PKE (6.5), PK Second Helping (5.75), PK To Go! (6.75, became Young)

Halcyon Dreams (E, Life/Sim-Strategy): HD (6.25), HD: Homecoming (6.5)

Lion's Journey Tactics (Y, Fantasy/Strategy-RPG): LJT (7.75), LJ Sellswords (6.5)

Apocalypse Fox (M, Post-Apocalyptic/Action-RPG): AF (8.75), AF - Eldritch Texting (3.5, was a Small, Mobile, text-based game in the PS3 era), AF 2 (9.75), AF 3 (7), AF 4 (8.25), AF - Moraeu Project (9.25, Small game)

Eagle Eye (M, Wild West/Action-RPG): EE (9.75), EE Reloaded (7.5)

Single Games
Blood and Ice (E, Sports/Sim): 6
Limelight (E, Movies/RPG): 6
Rhythm of the Skies (E, Dance/Action): 5.25
The Keeper (M, Dystopian/Adventure): 4.25
Lucky Stars (Y, Sci-Fi/Adventure): 9.75
Theseus's Glory (Y, Mythology/Adventure): 3.75
Boldly Go (E, Space/Simulation-Adventure): 9.5
Slasher Tactics (M, Horror/Strategy-RPG): 5

Plans Going Ahead?
For now, holding off on Dragon Quest 3 and Final Fantasy Tactics. Not abandoning them, but am taking a break. I wanna clear FFT before I really get into DQ3, however. I'm tempted to start Wasteland 2 back up, as well as grab Wasteland Remastered. With my 8GB RAM chip, am hoping performance on the former will be better? As for other Steam games, I'm likely to try Monster Sanctuary as I've heard good things about it across RMN.
Marrend
I almost want to suggest the remastered Wasteland for you, Atiya. Like, I played the hell out of the original back in the day. I was playing on a Commodore 64 (and was 7-ish), though. The reset functionality was on a disk-by-disk basis, and not an entire game reset that the PC version has. I had some pretty funky game-states, as you can imagine!

Saying that, I tried playing the PC version of Wasteland that I got off of Home of the Underdogs, maybe a year or two before W2 came out, and... I dunno. The old magic just wasn't there anymore.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Marrend, that's fair! Wasteland 2 was plenty fun, and I have a habit of unironically loving the origins of games I love. AD&D to D&D 3e+, Fallout 1 to Bethesda Fallouts, etc. As far as I know, the new Wasteland remake has all the charm of the original but with more modern sensibilities for interface, etc.

However -- and these might be fixed with patches -- there are some bugs and hiccups that fall short according to some Steam reviews. InXile's work on the Bard's Tale remakes have been really good as I've heard, but the Wasteland remake falls short to some? I'm still a Wizardry fangirl (though that's fading), so maybe I could find some fun in an old game no matter what version I try.
Marrend
I don't know about a remastered version of Bard's Tale. The Wasteland remaster, they didn't change the gameplay not one wit. I think the original PC version, you could program macros. To some degree. I don't recall the C64 version having that feature. Graphics might have gotten a slight upgrade/upscale? There's definitely in-game narrations that trigger when the game would normally ask players to read from the paragraph book.

I understand the narrations of all the paragraphs can be found in the game directory. Half the fun/weirdness of the paragraph book was reading paragraphs you weren't supposed to read. Even better when they weren't even in the game to begin with. Like, Paragraph #1 breaks the fourth wall, and even refers to Bard's Tale. That's not even the craziest thing that's in there, either.

In other news, I dusted off Wild Arms 3 a few minutes ago? I thought I had more bosses to fight in the last dungeon, being something of a bosses-on-parade thing. Even though the game pretty much told me, I forgot there that there were a total of seven bosses before Beatrice. Six of those being optional, but heavily suggested.
Marrend
I feel like the end to this play of Front Mission 3 is going to be coming soon. I've been playing a bit more Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night in recent days, but, I seem to keep getting stuck. To the game's credit, it did give me a hint to progress. I just can't seem to remember it!

Aside from that, I've put in a few more stages of Dynasty Warriors 4, and have put it aside again. I'm probably going to start Onimusha - Dawn of Dreams sometime today.
Since I no longer have a car to come home on lunch for, I'm playing Super Metroid at work.

Three one hour lunches and I just got the last item (not including missiles, bombs, or E-packs).

About to fight Ridley.
Marrend
Finding some code wackiness in Onimusha today. To be fair, the latter code was converted directly from yea olde stomping grounds, CodeTwink. The first one I found, myself with CheatEngine. Placing the info under a hide-tag, as it's essentially trivia.

//Max Soul Points
//The address of this variable moves after each instance of the game.
//The first two codes may track Soul Points while improving equipment. In other words, what the value would become if/when the upgrade is complete.
//The "permanent" value seems to start with "209", but searching within the "20800000" and "20A00000" range should give the result one needs.
//patch=1,EE,208D6D64,word,00000000
//patch=1,EE,208D6DC4,word,00000000
//patch=1,EE,00000000,word,00000000

//Max Soul Points
//This code needs a full reset to disable.
//The first line, first two bytes is the "high-order" byte.
//The second line, first two bytes is the "low-order" byte.
//patch=1,EE,202D1A80,word,3C010000
//patch=1,EE,202D1A84,word,34210000
//patch=1,EE,202D1A88,word,AC410010
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
March::..
1. An Afternoon Rippling
A beautiful gem you can play for free. Basically it's a text adventure or visual novel (pictures with text). Your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, so you set out to find help, only to bump into a bunch of confusing characters, who are all very well written. I enjoyed this a lot and it probably has my favourite style of hand drawn style.

2. Walking Simulator A Month Club
A sizable collection of walking Sims. I was really hyped to try this out, but now I find most of them little boring as they lack things to discover (or it takes too much time to discover something). Some of them are better than the rest (Hinterlands part of Sunken Citadel has been most fun so far).

3. Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis
I'm halfway through and it has been a ride so far. Most battles were easier than what I remember from Let's Cling Together. Tactics are still engaging and some environments in-game really pretty. Soundtrack isn't outstanding and boring in comparison with the other game. Story wise, I find it really weird that the protagonist's love interest is only ten or eleven years old.

>I will update the op later, when I'm back in town BTW.